Author Topic: Alesis DM10 studio kit input 7 calibration fail problem NOW SOLVED  (Read 1524 times)

I've found others on this forum with the same problem but haven't found out the fix yet.
I'm selling this kit and don't want to sell it with faults.

I get a calibration error only when the chokeable crash cymbal is plugged into input 7, even if it is the only cable plugged in (It is connected to the chokeable crash, not the hihat cymbal, using a TRS cable, my power supply is 9V/2000a and I have calibrated the hihat pedal).
I've tried using a different TRS cable and it's the same.
If I swap the ride and crash cables in the module (inputs 7 & 8) it doesn't have a calibration error but the crash and ride are then using the wrong cymbals.
Choking doesn't work on the crash, and (probably unrelated) the hihat always plays a fairly loud note no matter how quietly I play and no matter what settings I change, even with the sensitivity at 1.
I've looked at the choke cable inside the crash cymbal rubber and it's in good clean condition and the electronics inside the cymbal look ok too.
I tried measuring the resistance of the crash as suggested by meareck in reply #45 in this thread (http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=289.25).
With my multimeter set to 20k ohms I get a reading of 0.60 which changes to 0.17 when I press the choke strip.
Choking works on the ride when it is setup as 3 zone.

I have the latest firmware from the alesis DM10 studio kit page.
http://www.alesis.com/products/view/dm10-studio-kit
I tried changing the trigger firmware from v1.01a to v1.00a and it's just the same.
A factory reset still has the calibration error.

I bought the kit and module second hand and I'm fine with taking anything apart and doing solder repairs etc. if needed.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:16:39 AM by waigy »

Re: Alesis DM10 studio kit input 7 calibration fail problem NOW SOLVED
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 03:22:22 AM »
I tried the cymbal from my Roland TD4 kit and the DM10 module had no calibration error and the cymbal choked fine.
So I now know that the problem is a faulty choke strip on the crash.

I have disconnected the choke strip cable inside and the calibration error has gone.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the choke strip working as there's nothing to it, it's just a cable that goes into a connector.
I tried cleaning the end of the cable where it goes into the connector and I inspected the whole cable closely.
Everything looks in very good clean condition and all of the solder joints look good.
I am either going to sell the kit pointing out this choke fault or I might get another crash before the auction ends in 7 days.