Author Topic: Alesis Strike - coming from DM10X - looking for Pearl Masters Sound .wav files  (Read 1176 times)

After 29 years of not drumming, raising kids, etc., got back to drumming in early 2017 and was asked to join a band.   I bought an Alesis DM10X kit and have been using it for the last year.  Done close to 2 dozen gigs, recorded an EP, feel like a kid again at the tender age of 49.   Last week I was able to obtain a Strike Module open box.   Lots of research, did the 1.3 update prior to trying to hook it up to my kit.   My current DM10X kit is configured exactly as the Strike Pro in terms of number of pads and cymbals, so setting it up was simply a matter of swapping modules.   Lo and behold it didn't take but a couple of hours for me to adapt a kit to my liking, learn how to change some settings, save the kit, etc.   It was brave on my part, but I took the module out to a gig Saturday, the same day I first plugged it in.   Band mates loved it.    Things just work so much better now.   My snare now sounds and reacts like a real snare, ride cymbal works better, and I discovered I can load two different cymbals for each of the dual trigger cymbals.   I know the ability was there somewhat with the DM10X, but the Strike made it so much easier.     

So first show under my belt, I am diving head first in to loading sound files.  I am very much a noobie at this, and don't mind admitting it.   I'm learning as fast as I can.  My acoustic kit is a 7 piece Pearl MMX, and I use Zildjian cymbals.  I would like to get as close as I can to having the acoustic sound of my Pearl Kit on my Alesis module.   I have found a lot of Zildjian cymbal sound files, and a couple of Pearl snare and bass drum files, so i am already really close, but haven't been able to locate anything that has Pearl Masters or Studio Sessions toms on it.   I have been reading a lot about sound sequencing programs and the vast libraries they have, but I don't want to deal with using a computer when I play drums.   Does anyone have any idea where I can obtain Pearl Masters tom sound files?  I have no problem paying a Steven Slate or whomever for their product just to get to the sound files.   Any and all guidance and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.   

Offline Iggford

I have a question for you regarding your experience with the Strike module.  You said you bought the module only, so you are using your DM10 cymbals, correct?  Did you have any issues with certain cymbals not working in certain inputs?  I have my DM10 kit at my band's practice space, and my Strike at home that I practice with and pack up for gigs.  I wanted to just transport my module between the two, but it doesn't seem to want to work completely.  I have trouble with the cymbal I use on my Crash2 input on my DM10 not wanting to trigger on the Strike module.  It's an Alesis cymbal, and I've even tried to use the hi-hat cymbal in place of it.  Neither configuration worked.  I ended up having to keep that cymbal connected to my DM10 and trigger it using MIDI between the two modules. 

I had similar issues with my hi-hat, but I was trying to use the Pro-X.  Once I switched back to the original DM10 hi-hat and RealHat pedal, it worked fine. 

Did you split your cymbal inputs to use two physical cymbals on one input, or are you using separate sounds for the edge and bow of the same pad?  I was able to split inputs on my DM10 pretty effectively, but I'm not having as much luck getting it to work that way with the Strike.  I'm using a TRS to dual-TS splitter.  Not sure if that is correct or not.

I absolutely love my Strike kit, and I used it on stage for the first time over the past weekend.  I'm still learning some of the more advanced stuff now. 

I would like to try some custom samples.  If I run into anything matching what you're looking for, I'll definitely send it your way!

--
Shawn

I am using my DM10X Cymbals.  I haven't had any issues with cymbals not working.  Again, took it out of the box, set it up, and gigged all in one day and haven't had a chance to get back to it yet. Due to time limitations I didn't completely configure all three crash cymbals, but I did get one working using one cymbal on the bow and one cymbal on the edge.  Would have done that with the others had I had more time.   Worked perfectly during the gig.  I also got the bow of the ride cymbal set as a different cymbal from the bell.   The concept of having parts of different ride cymbals together (say K 20 Custom Ride bow with Rock Ride bell) is just awesome!    Since I am more of an edge crasher, my plan is to put crash cymbals on the three edges, then put two splashes and a china on the bows.   6 Different Cymbal sounds with 3 drum pads.   Excellent.   I had a lot of splitting on my DM10 module, and that about drive me crazy.   I haven't split anything on the Strike, and don't plan on it.  My open box came with the wiring, and it's all stereo TRS cables.  Just make sure you have dual zone cymbals, you should be able to set the bow and edge separately.   

I am going to end up doing the same as you, Strike at home for practice and gigs, DM10 module at rehearsal.  I cobbled together a DM10 kit a few years ago, but didn't argue when my wife told me last year I should get a good version of that kit for home and gigs and leave the cobbled set where we practice.   So I have the advantage of two kits.  And now, a fully working spare DM10 module that isn't being used.  The cobbled together kit has a lot of single zone cymbals.  While I know the capability of the DM10, I didn't fully realize it until I accidentally put two different cymbal sounds on a cymbal in the Strike module Saturday.   That's when I realized my DM10X mesh kit with chrome rack was all dual done (yay), and most of what I had on the cobbled together kit were single zone.  Yes, I am still learning.   

I have the Pro-X Hi Hat, but haven't tried to use it yet.   For now not having to bring a hi-hat stand means just one less thing to carry to a gig.   It allows me to push my hi-hat further towards the middle cross bars, leave my hands open, and allows me to move around the kit with my right hand a lot easier.  Think of it similar to a remote hi-hat pedal for an acoustic cymbal.   Pedal where you want it, cymbal where you want it, not tied to a pole.   Sorry I can't help you with that one. 

Appreciate anything you run across on samples.  I located and purchased a sound library that had the 14" New Beat hi hat samples, and am really anxious to get that in.   Same library had a 22" Pearl MMX bass drum.  I can't tell you how happy I was to run across that.   Now I just need 4 Masters Toms.     Make no mistake, the Strike module has really awesome sounds in it.   The "Rosanna" snare is what I used for my gig.   Not confirmed if that was the snare that Jeff Porcaro used to record Rosanna, but I'm playing like it is and enjoying it.   Jeff Porcaro was one of my favorite drummers, he played Pearl drums, what's not to love?