Author Topic: Will Pro-X Hi Hat work on Crimson or Command modules  (Read 13037 times)

Will Pro-X Hi Hat work on Crimson or Command modules
« on: October 26, 2016, 07:10:32 PM »
Can the Pro-X Hi Hat work on the Crimson or Command ?   I know that it will work on the DM10 with a firmware upgrade.

Offline Failed Muso

Re: Will Pro-X Hi Hat work on Crimson or Command modules
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:55:47 AM »
Can the Pro-X Hi Hat work on the Crimson or Command ?   I know that it will work on the DM10 with a firmware upgrade.

Alesis state that it is only compatible with the DM8 and DM10. Given that the Crimson and Command modules use the D-Connector to connect the pads to the module, there isn't an appropriate jack connector for the Pro-X. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure it won't be compatible.
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 02:38:54 PM »
I have a Crimson kit and I've spoken to Alesis.  It doesn't work with it I'm sad to say.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 09:08:43 AM »
Thanks King.

I am considering getting the Crimson or the DM10 Studio Mesh.  The DM10 has the additional cymbal and tom, plus the ability to upgrade the hi-hat.  Did you consider the DM10 before you selected the Crimson ?

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 10:55:18 AM »
Thanks King.

I am considering getting the Crimson or the DM10 Studio Mesh.  The DM10 has the additional cymbal and tom, plus the ability to upgrade the hi-hat.  Did you consider the DM10 before you selected the Crimson ?

Be aware that the DM10 series is being discontinued. Here in the UK there is no more stock, so get in quick. I fell foul of this as I was hoping to get the DM10 X Mesh, but I had to settle for a Crimson instead, which I am happy with :)
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 06:13:52 AM »
I did consider the DM10 but it's old tech now.  I wrongly assumed I'd be able to use the Pro-X hats when I bought it though, and upgrade the snare, neither of which I've been able to do.  At least it looks cool I suppose....

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »
Contrary to what Alesis say, a guy over at the Alesis Community support page claims he has the Pro-X working with the Crimson module with no adaptations at all. He claims it works right out of the box. I doubted him but he posted a video on Facebook and it seems legit to me...

https://www.facebook.com/Deutschesmann/videos/1279870198745793/

I am now sorely tempted to invest :)

Offline Iggford

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 01:02:13 PM »
I know this isn't a direct answer, but it does fall into the "working with only the DM8 or DM10 modules" category.  My previous kit, which I still have, was a Roland TD-6 kit.  When I got my Pro-X Hi Hat right before Christmas, my DM10 kit was at our band's practice space for a few weeks while I was doing some session work.

I wanted to try it out, so, not expecting much, I connected it to my TD-6, and it worked pretty much right out of the box.  To be honest, because I haven't gotten the settings completely dialed in yet on my DM10, it worked a bit better on the Roland kit than my DM10. 

Just thought I'd throw that in, in case it helps at all!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 01:29:33 PM »
Contrary to what Alesis say, a guy over at the Alesis Community support page claims he has the Pro-X working with the Crimson module with no adaptations at all. He claims it works right out of the box. I doubted him but he posted a video on Facebook and it seems legit to me...

The Crimson Kit comes with the DMHat pedal...which is open/closed-on/off
The Pro-X Hi Hat is variable/continuous ..

I didn't see anywhere in the Crimson manual that it was capable of changing from switch to variable or calibration etc..
I would wait and see if he does a video with just the Hi Hat.. but more than likely it's "partially" working

(The TD6 mention above supports variable Hi Hat pedals.I think it came with the FD-8)

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »

The Crimson Kit comes with the DMHat pedal...which is open/closed-on/off
The Pro-X Hi Hat is variable/continuous ..

I didn't see anywhere in the Crimson manual that it was capable of changing from switch to variable or calibration etc..
I would wait and see if he does a video with just the Hi Hat.. but more than likely it's "partially" working

(The TD6 mention above supports variable Hi Hat pedals.I think it came with the FD-8)

According to Alesis, the pedal supplied with the Crimson is a continuous variable type...

"Is the hi-hat pedal a continuous or a switch-type pedal?
The Hi-Hat pedal included with the Crimson Mesh Kit is a continuous variable type pedal.  This pedal allows for open, half-open, and closed hi-hat sounds, and will also allow for "chick" and "splash" sounds when the pedal is pressed down and released without striking the hi-hat cymbal pad."

http://www.alesis.com/kb/article/1974#hi_hat

My Crimson kit came supplied with a RealHat pedal, which is why I find it odd that Alesis state that the Pro-X is incompatible, and yet I've just sat and watched a guy ostensibly use one with his Crimson module..

http://www.alesis.com/products/view/realhat-pedal
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:07:38 PM by Failed Muso »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 04:59:17 PM »
I was going by the product page and the manual.
http://alesis.com/products/view2/crimson-mesh-kit

The product page showed DMHat Pedal..and the manual did not have any info about calibration etc..
 4 midi notes assigned to the pedal
Hi-Hat Open     46
Hi-Hat Closed     42
Hi-Hat Pedal     44 
Hi-Hat Splash     21

So it's good news for other kit owners...if the Pro-X works for the Crimson then it will work for Forge and Command kits also..same module

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 05:42:00 PM »

The product page showed DMHat Pedal..and the manual did not have any info about calibration etc..
Hi-Hat Open     46
Hi-Hat Closed     42
Hi-Hat Pedal     44 
Hi-Hat Splash     21

So it's good news for other kit owners...if the Pro-X works for the Crimson then it will work for Forge and Command kits also..same module

Yeah, the picture and spec list is misleading. I bought my Crimson Mesh kit new a couple of months ago and it came with the RealHat pedal, so they've obviously updated the spec without updating the site. But what I can confirm is that the Crimson module itself only responds to the 4 Hi-Hat MIDI notes (42, 44, 46 and 21). However, when I play the kit connected to Superior Drummer, I get the full continuous variable performance with semi-open sounds. So it would appear that the Crimson module doesn't respond internally to continuous variable data but passes it through over MIDI to external modules/plugins that do. A bit like monophonic synths that pass through polyphonic MIDI data sent by the keyboard. My Korg Prophecy being a good example of that.

So, I guess Alesis keep it simple by claiming it isn't compatible so that people don't complain about the lack of the feature in the module. A RealHat pedal comes with less expectation than a Pro-X to the uninitiated ;)

Bottom line seems to be that plugging a Pro-X into a Crimson will yield full performance if connected to a continuous variable capable sound module, but other wise behaves exactly as the RealHat pedal does that is supplied in the box.

Slightly odd, but then this is Alesis after all!

I guess I need a Hi-Hat stand on my shopping list now ;)

Offline Chaser

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 06:58:17 PM »

Hi-Hat Open     46
Hi-Hat Closed     42
Hi-Hat Pedal     44 
Hi-Hat Splash     21

Yeah, the picture and spec list is misleading. I bought my Crimson Mesh kit new a couple of months ago and it came with the RealHat pedal, so they've obviously updated the spec without updating the site. But what I can confirm is that the Crimson module itself only responds to the 4 Hi-Hat MIDI notes (42, 44, 46 and 21). However, when I play the kit connected to Superior Drummer, I get the full continuous variable performance with semi-open sounds. So it would appear that the Crimson module doesn't respond internally to continuous variable data but passes it through over MIDI to external modules/plugins that do. A bit like monophonic synths that pass through polyphonic MIDI data sent by the keyboard. My Korg Prophecy being a good example of that.

So, I guess Alesis keep it simple by claiming it isn't compatible so that people don't complain about the lack of the feature in the module. A RealHat pedal comes with less expectation than a Pro-X to the uninitiated ;)

Bottom line seems to be that plugging a Pro-X into a Crimson will yield full performance if connected to a continuous variable capable sound module, but other wise behaves exactly as the RealHat pedal does that is supplied in the box.

Slightly odd, but then this is Alesis after all!

I guess I need a Hi-Hat stand on my shopping list now ;)

You would think the "Best Selling E-drum Kit" would be constantly updated...
The Crimson module must be passing the info through as you said and the Hi Hat sample in the module isn't a variable sample...you could check with a midi monitor and see what's being transmitted.

Here are the midi notes assigned in the DM10 module...you can see the difference
46 Hi-Hat Open/Variable    
44 Hi-Hat Pedal Chic
42 Hi-Hat Bow Closed    
32 Hi Hat Shank Open/Variable
31 Hi Hat Shank Closed
30 Hi Hat Heel Splash
21 Hi-Hat Splash

Setting up a Hi Hat pedal in SD2 can be time consuming
Here is a painless tutorial I found a year or two ago .... may be useful

"How to Setup the Hi-Hat Pedal in Superior Drummer 2"
http://www.graysonkilmer.com/2015/09/03/how-to-setup-the-hi-hat-pedal-in-superior-drummer-2

Offline rhysT

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 07:11:57 PM »
Before getting a Pro-X Hi-hat, check out some previous reports from guys here who were underwhelmed by the top cymbal and replaced it with the original DM10 one. After reading those comments I couldn't see any need to experiment with Pro-X.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:17:26 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 04:21:15 AM »
So, are we saying then that not only will the Pro-X work just as well as the RealHat through the module, but it will work as full variable when connected to Superior Drummer 2?

I must say I noticed a lot more hi hat sounds when connected to Superior Drummer 2, but I thought I was imagining it...

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 04:31:43 AM »
So, are we saying then that not only will the Pro-X work just as well as the RealHat through the module, but it will work as full variable when connected to Superior Drummer 2?

I must say I noticed a lot more hi hat sounds when connected to Superior Drummer 2, but I thought I was imagining it...

I can confirm that when using the RealHat pedal with the Crimson module, triggering SD2, the hi-hats from SD2 display full variable performance. I need to refine the settings within SD2 but there are plenty of "semi-closed/open" sounds being triggered as you open or close the pedal. I believe that SD2 responds to the increasing or decreasing CC messages sent by the pedal/hat to trigger the appropriate samples.

Therefore, given that the Pro-X uses the same continuous variable technology as the RealHat, and has been seen to work with the Crimson module, it is safe to assume it will do the same.

Of course, it goes without saying that I have not personally tested the Pro-X with my Crimson module and am basing my opinion on information gathered from a number of sources, so don't blame me if something turns out not to work ;)

Also, as Rhys points out, some people were underwhelmed by the Pro-X when using it with their DM10's.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:33:34 AM by Failed Muso »

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 04:09:38 AM »
Hi all, let me start by saying that i am a rookie in the e-drum world, I recently got myself a crimson kit and i love it, except that the hi hat not physically linked to the pedal gave me nausea by just looking at it. So i took the risk and bought the pro x hi hat. I connected it straight with the crimson cables (despite the pedal cable being different) and i can confirm that it works. Don't ask me about it in details cause as i said i'm still a rookie. I can just confirm that it sounds off the module just like the original hi hat and pedal. It's a better feel with the moving hat but on the downside the Pro X produces much more ambience noise, i can hear it hitting it and opening/closing even with he headphones on unless i got the volume maxed out (which i do pretty much all the time 😆).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:18:35 AM by SamuelS »

Offline DAFFYDRUNK

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 10:30:30 PM »
I can also confirm that the Crimson and Prox X work with minor tweaking. The main stuff I did was not only adjusting any module parameters, but physical stuff. I swapped the Pro X top with the original hi hat, and made the pro x top a spare crash cymbal, specifically a china. I also added a few (doubled up) 1/2"  felt bumpers to the bottom side of the original hi hat. $6 at a hardware store. These are placed opposite of the thick part of the original hi hat cymbal so that when closed, it closes evenly. I also added a large washer to the clutch so it does not close lop sided. I have played this modded setup for many hours since I modded it around Xmas 2016. Has held up perfectly. On the Alesis message board, there are module settings that work decent to start with. I'll try to add a link when I have time, but it pretty much works right out of the box for those that are curious. Main things I did were physical tweaks that you'd wanna do regardless of which drum set you were using the Pro X with.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:32:01 PM by DAFFYDRUNK »
Alesis Crimson kit, Ludwig Atlas Standard pedal, some cute purple drum sticks. Now all I need is talent.

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 11:38:37 AM »
Thanks DaffyDrunk

I want to add another crash cymbal to my Crimson, but I only see cymbal arms for DM6 and DM10.  Seems like you need to match up a 1 1/2 rack clamp, with a cymbal arm and cymbal. Alesis cymbals have a 3/8" hole. Do you recall which cymbal arm you are using on the far right ?

Online AlanK

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 12:08:45 PM »
Hi Windmill, if you don't find another arm/clamp etc, consider doing what I did.. I put my ride on a separate boom stand and that freed up a cymbal attachment that I could use for another crash.. just an alternative..besides, it makes the kit look cool too
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline DAFFYDRUNK

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 11:39:34 PM »
Thanks DaffyDrunk

I want to add another crash cymbal to my Crimson, but I only see cymbal arms for DM6 and DM10.  Seems like you need to match up a 1 1/2 rack clamp, with a cymbal arm and cymbal. Alesis cymbals have a 3/8" hole. Do you recall which cymbal arm you are using on the far right ?

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Forgot about this thread. The arm I'm using for the ride is a boom that I think comes with the dm10x and clamps on horizontally. I bought it used on eBay along with a spare crash cymbal. I think the arm goes for around $40-50 USD used. Not sure what the part number is, but a buddy has the dm10x mesh and has his ride set the same way with a similar or identical boom arm.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:48:35 PM by DAFFYDRUNK »
Alesis Crimson kit, Ludwig Atlas Standard pedal, some cute purple drum sticks. Now all I need is talent.

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 02:51:46 AM »
Hi DaffyDrunk,

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I'm wondering how you got four cymbals there. Where did you connect the fourth cymbal? I've got a Command kit and the module only has an input for one extra cymbal. How did you hook up the other? Sorry, total newbie here.