Author Topic: Alesis kit and Roland FD-9 Hi Hat Pedal  (Read 8274 times)

Alesis kit and Roland FD-9 Hi Hat Pedal
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:56:21 AM »
has anyone tried this combination? I have an Alesis Crimson Mesh kit, and I was so excited after getting the TK-9 silent bass drum trigger pedal, that I had to go get the hi hat version, but it doesn't seem to register the act of pressing the pedal down!

If i have the pedal closed, and strike the hi hat cymbal, it plays a sound as if it was closed, and likewise if i let my foot off - it plays the open hi hat sound. However, when I stomp my foot alone, nothing happens!

Also, when adjusting the sound settings, it of course switches to the last pad that you hit on the module so you can adjust, but i can never get it to switch when i press the pedal. it just doesn't recognize it. When I power on the module, it registers the very first time i press the pedal, but that's it.

Has anyone had success with calibrating this? or should I just return it? how exactly DO you calibrate the hi hat pedal on the crimson?

By the way, even if you don't have the Crimson set, i'd like to hear from anyone with an Alesis kit and the FD-9!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:46:04 AM by Tuxedo717 »

Offline rhysT

Re: Alesis kit and Roland FD-9 Hi Hat Pedal
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:32:58 PM »
This doc from Mark Steele at Drumagination.com (http://www.drumagination.com/uploads/3/4/2/3/34231891/hh_explained.pdf) explains basically how an Alesis RealHat pedal functions with the DM10 module.

The Crimson module should also require a 360K resistor in the pedal (missing from the FD-9) to trigger the hihat sounds properly.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:17:05 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 10:53:05 PM »
thanks for your reply!

so it's safe to say that i'm out of luck? a shame, the fd-9 is really nice!
l

Offline rhysT

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 04:01:27 AM »
FYI, this topic (http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4384.msg31103#msg31103) confirms that FD-7/FD-8 pedals function OK with a DM10 module after recalibrating the hihat.
So the FD-9 pedal could also be usable with the Strike module if it includes hihat calibration.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
i see! well i have the FD-9 so i'm not sure if the innards are the same as the FD-8, but if they were, that's a good sign - if i could calibrate it!

but i dont have a DM-10, i have a crimson -- and i have no idea how to access the hi hat calibration menu on the Crimson! does anyone else have this kit?

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 08:36:15 AM »
This doc from Mark Steele at Drumagination.com (http://www.drumagination.com/uploads/3/4/2/3/34231891/hh_explained.pdf) explains basically how an Alesis RealHat pedal functions with the DM10 module.

The Crimson module should also require a 360K resistor in the pedal (missing from the FD-9) to trigger the hihat sounds properly.

where is the part about the 360K resistor? how do you know that the FD-9 lacks it? and that the crimson requires it?

Offline rhysT

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 11:32:10 AM »
Just found out the Crimson kit uses a DMHat (open/closed) pedal, so most of my previous info won't help to adapt the FD-9 (variable control) pedal for your module - apologies for the confusion.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:33:42 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 12:52:52 PM »
actually it uses the DMRealHat! so it's correct :)

Offline rhysT

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 06:12:04 PM »
actually it uses the DMRealHat! so it's correct :)

OK I'll try not to believe everything I read on the Alesis website: http://www.alesis.com/products/view2/crimson-mesh-kit (Features>Contents).

Btw, the RealHat 360K resistor was mentioned in the PDF (page 4): http://www.drumagination.com/uploads/3/4/2/3/34231891/hh_explained.pdf

Apparently the Crimson module only allows adjustment of hihat splash sensitivity instead of a calibration function.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 09:56:39 PM »
thanks for you replies!

wow, that's a bad typo by Alesis! but you can see in the picture that it's the realhat. i just looked at it last night and the bottom says "DMRealHat Continuous" on the bottom.

i find it really strange that there's no caibrate on this thing! That means I can't use many other pedals at all, or adjust the default one...

i wonder if anyone has tried swapping the sensors of alesis/roland hihat pedals? lol. probably impossible.

I really just wish there was a quieter hi had pedal for alesis. i already put some foam inside the pedal, but it's still loud :(

Offline rhysT

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 10:27:55 PM »
Yeah before checking the Crimson contents list I just assumed it included a RealHat pedal, but I'm surprised you have a noise issue with yours. Mine is very quiet and I've just added some foam rubber beneath the pedal bracket to help control the DM10 hihat 'chick' & 'splash' sounds more reliably. (refer to this topic: http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6007.msg42109#msg42109 for more details)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:57:38 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 06:20:46 AM »
i put some foam in it as well and it seems to have quieted the sound i hear, but it still vibrates on the ground despite 3 carpets, lol. i ordered one of those noise eater mats, so hopefully that will do the trick.

i still fond it strange that any electric kit module would have no calibration option... the DM10 has it, but i thought the crimson was higher quality than that? guess not, haha.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 04:09:15 AM »
hmmm, after giving it some thought - i could probably upgrade to a DM10 module and have it work with the FD-9 pedal? has anyone used the FD-9 with the DM-10 i wonder?

since my existimg kit is the Crimson, there should be no issues with my other pads, which are all alesis anyway?

sorry it's a bit off topic!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 08:02:22 AM »
hmmm, after giving it some thought - i could probably upgrade to a DM10 module and have it work with the FD-9 pedal? has anyone used the FD-9 with the DM-10 i wonder?

since my existimg kit is the Crimson, there should be no issues with my other pads, which are all alesis anyway?

sorry it's a bit off topic!

I've used the FD-8 with my DM10 which is functionally the same as the FD-9. The FD-8 is just an older model of hi-hat controller. As for your triggers, I don't think there would be any major issues. Please keep in mind that you need to spend time with your DM10 to "dial" in all the triggers. It will not be a "plug all your trigger is and your ready to go" situation. I don't know if the Crimson cymbals are all choke-able. If they are keep in mind that the DM10 does not have cymbal choke on all cymbals. Only the "ride" and "crash one" are choke-able on the DM10.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 08:32:09 AM »
thanks for the reply, sounds promising :)

the crimson came with 1 chokeable crash and 1 chokable ride, and then i bought one more chokable crash as an extra. if i have a chokeable cymbal that the dm10 doesn't support, can i still use it as an unchokeable version? or do i have to buy a whole new cymbal?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 12:06:15 PM »
if i have a chokeable cymbal that the dm10 doesn't support, can i still use it as an unchokeable version? or do i have to buy a whole new cymbal?

I don't know 100%, but I'm 99% sure you can still use your triggers (cymbal or drum). No need to buy other triggers. Again, however you still may need to dial them in to work with the DM10. Meaning there's a good chance that you will plug your triggers into the DM10 and they will not work very good. Then you may need to spend an evening or two tweaking your trigger parameters.

Heck, this is true even for new DM10 kit owners. ;)

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 03:01:41 PM »
I also have the crimson kit and like it. But I'm never satisfied with stock, Ha! So of course I am also Interested in replacing the kick drum pad with a pedal controller. The Roland KT9 & KT10 look nice.  You mentioned the compatibility of KT9 worked well with the crimson module? 
The Alesis hi hat pedal is also kind off cheepy and I would like to upgarde!  The Roland  FD9 looks nice, but you had a few issues with it.  You mentioned it worked well as long bas you hit with sticks.  I'm not sure I care that much about just foot stomp, just as long as it responds to open & closed with stick hit.  I don't think I use just pedal alone that much!
What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks Jeremy