Author Topic: Is a 9VAC 1.3A Adapter going to work in a DM10?  (Read 5339 times)

Is a 9VAC 1.3A Adapter going to work in a DM10?
« on: December 29, 2014, 09:31:17 PM »
Hi Everybody,

I just signed up for this forum, so my apologies in advance if I am posting this in the wrong section.

A coworker of mine just gifted me her old, DM10 Drum Kit, and I've hit a bit of a snag in setting it up and getting it to work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

This kit contained just about all of its original components, minus its original adaptor. I ordered an adaptor from my local music store, and it arrived today. I immediately plugged it in and - while the brain turned on and appeared to work - I could not for the life of me get any sound out of it. I examined the box my adapter came in and it says that the adapter is a 9VAC 1.3A adapter. On the back of my brain, right by the power button, It says "AC IN 9V/1.5A"

Does the  fact that I am using a 1.3A adapter in a device that states it needs a 1.5A adapter explain why I'm not getting any sound?  Did my music store sell me an adapter that doesn't work? Or is there some other variable at play here? I tried with multiple sets of headphones, so I doubt thats a factor.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Newbie01027

Offline Khes74

Re: Is a 9VAC 1.3A Adapter going to work in a DM10?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 10:22:16 PM »
Hi Everybody,

I just signed up for this forum, so my apologies in advance if I am posting this in the wrong section.

A coworker of mine just gifted me her old, DM10 Drum Kit, and I've hit a bit of a snag in setting it up and getting it to work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

This kit contained just about all of its original components, minus its original adaptor. I ordered an adaptor from my local music store, and it arrived today. I immediately plugged it in and - while the brain turned on and appeared to work - I could not for the life of me get any sound out of it. I examined the box my adapter came in and it says that the adapter is a 9VAC 1.3A adapter. On the back of my brain, right by the power button, It says "AC IN 9V/1.5A"

Does the  fact that I am using a 1.3A adapter in a device that states it needs a 1.5A adapter explain why I'm not getting any sound?  Did my music store sell me an adapter that doesn't work? Or is there some other variable at play here? I tried with multiple sets of headphones, so I doubt thats a factor.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Newbie01027

Welcome to the fourm.

Only use the adaptor supplied with the kit. If you need to order one from Alesis then do so. You could screw up the module.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 10:27:13 PM »
As long as it's at least 1.3A and  9AC output it will work fine. The AC output is critical. I bought a 1.5A at radio shack.
JimmyB

Offline Trondster

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 02:52:01 AM »
I'm guessing that your adapter is 9V AC/DC - you want a more rare 9V AC/AC adapter. Please check your adapter!
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 04:46:19 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses so far everyone. I double-checked the Adaptor and it looks like it is in fact an an AC/AC. It looks like there might be something else going on here other than with the adaptor. I saw a few other posts on here from people who couldn't get any sound out of their DM10, and their issues weren't adaptor-related. Maybe something is wrong with the brain. I think it was sitting in my coworkers attic for a year or two before she handed it to me, so I might be looking at a larger issue.

Thank you all for weighing in on this!

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »
I had the same problem with a DM8 module.  It powered on and the screen worked, but no sound.  I bought the correct adapter and it works with no issues.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 08:55:59 PM »
Thanks so much for weighing in on my situation. I guess I'm still sold that this is a situation regarding my current adaptor. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me a good spot for purchasing the proper Adaptor for a DM10. I went to the Alesis website, but there doesn't seem to be a section to just purchase adaptors. I went onto Amazon, but I didn't see any Alesis-Brand Adaptors, and I don't want to repeat the same mistake. (I saw 'UpBright, T-Power, and Samsung, but I'm not sure if should trust anything that isn't sold directly with the Kit.) Here's a link to one adaptor on Amazon that claims to be compatible with the DM10: http://www.amazon.com/UpBright%C2%AE-Adapter-Alesis-Electronic-Charger/dp/B00CJ5GHVU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419989546&sr=8-2&keywords=alesis+DM10+adaptor

Do you feel it would be a safe bet to order that one, or am I looking in all the wrong places?

Thank you all again for your help!

Offline Trondster

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 05:05:50 AM »
In theory your current adaptor could be fine - just verify that it is made for the correct voltage in your country (typically 110 or 230V) - this is very important.
Is there a arts number on your power supply - could you upload an image of the specifications?
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 09:43:55 AM »
I hope these images work. Here's one of the box the adaptor came in, and here's one of the back of my kit's brain.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 10:22:51 AM »
That adaptor should work fine
JimmyB

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 11:47:08 AM »
So if this adaptor should be working fine, I guess I am likely dealing with a bigger issue impacting the brain. I'm going to bring by brain into my local music store and see if they can test it out w/the adaptor.

Will keep y'all posted. And thanks again for all of the advice!

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 09:00:44 PM »
Hey everybody: Just wanted to drop a line and let everybody who helped out know that I've finally got the DM!0 producing sound! After all that speculation, it turns out that I just needed a special adaptor for my headphones.

Now, however, I've got one of my Cymbals sounding like a snare, a tom sounding like my base drum, and my base sounding like a tom. I guess it's back to the drawing board....

Thanks again to everyone that helped by weighing in!

Offline Trondster

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 04:51:54 AM »
Update the firmware to the latest version, and try resetting the trigger settings to the correct kit configuration.

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 09:29:30 AM »
Tks! Any idea what type of cord I need to attach my DM10 to my laptop?

Offline Khes74

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 10:35:14 AM »
Tks! Any idea what type of cord I need to attach my DM10 to my laptop?

A standard Printer cable should work.

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 07:23:52 PM »
I just wanted to add to this topic, in case anyone else has the issue I had.

I own a prototype DM10 module, acquired by myself whilst freelancing for Alesis during the DM10 sample library development. Sadly, the unit was supplied to me without the original PSU, and when I tried using what I thought was a suitable replacement, I found that the unit powered up and behaved in every single way as I'd expect, except for the major issue of it not outputting any audio! I figured the unit had an internal fault and therefore tossed it into the pile of redundant gear I have accumulated in my years doing work for companies such as Alesis and Akai.

Just recently, I found myself in the market for a new eDrum kit and had set my sights on a DM10 X Mesh, but sadly, due to their discontinuation, couldn't find one, so ended up buying a Crimson Mesh instead. In a bid to make the most of everything I had, I dug out the DM10 module and did a bit of digging around here. A user by the name of RhysT suggested that I'd been trying the wrong PSU. The one I had took my household AC supply and output it as 9V DC. This would power the unit up and allow it to function in every way except outputting audio. RhysT suggested that I needed a PSU that was 9V AC/AC and so I found a suitable unit on eBay and it arrived this morning.

Lo & behold, the DM10 powered up and audio was output!! I am beyond happy and now intend on making this the centre of my kit, with the Crimson unit performing lesser duties for extra percussion pads, etc.

So, if you have a DM10 module that powers up and works in every way except actually outputting audio, check you have the right PSU! :)
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

Offline rhysT

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 10:59:19 PM »
Glad to hear your DM10 module is functioning properly now and credit should go to hameedx for flagging his similar power supply problem:
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6851.msg46967#msg46967
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:00:57 PM by rhysT »