Author Topic: acoustic drum triggers  (Read 1537 times)

acoustic drum triggers
« on: June 01, 2016, 07:32:33 PM »
Hi all, Keith here from the little town of Hardwick Massachusetts. I am wondering if anyone knows if I can use the Simmons peizo trigger for  acoustic drums with mesh heads? will the peizo stick to the mesh? Thanks!

Offline Sal

Re: acoustic drum triggers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 09:26:28 AM »
OK so I'm way out of my league on this one but can you actually attach those kind of triggers directly to drumheads? Do you need some kind of pad in between?
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »
<deleted my comment.. I missed the point.>

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 06:18:40 PM by Dobly »

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 09:59:53 PM »
Simmons makes an on head trigger that actually sticks to the drum head. My question is will the adhesive, that is like foam tape stick to a mesh drumhead.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 08:47:18 AM »
well, that's why they call it an adhesive   ::)

badumpah! can I get some comical drum effects, Sal?!? hahahaha

(on a serious note, you could always attach a crossbar and mount the piezo on it with sponge/foam between it and the mesh)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Sal

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
well, that's why they call it an adhesive   ::)

badumpah! can I get some comical drum effects, Sal?!? hahahaha

(on a serious note, you could always attach a crossbar and mount the piezo on it with sponge/foam between it and the mesh)

And here I am actually trying to be helpful for once!
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 05:16:03 PM »
Always room for comedy... lol I am debating getting silentstroke mesh heads and triggers,or converting my DM10 mylar to mesh. any feedback on 682drums for a conversion set?

Offline AlanK

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 02:10:32 PM »
If you search "mesh head conversion" you'll find a lot of discussions we've had on who's done what.

I've done 682 on mine and it went smoothly and I love the feel and response. It's not perfect, but it's great, and a vast improvement (to me) over the mylar. I'm currently using Roland mesh heads but the cones came from 682.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 03:07:32 PM »
Thanks for the input! My biggest issues with the Mylar is the ambient noise, and how quickly the heads need replacing. i am a fairly hard hitter, especially kick pedal. But was definitely disappointed that I didn't spend the extra 200.00 on the mesh kit.

Offline Sal

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »
Oooof, buyer's remorse.

A DIY mesh conversion can be very easy. Buy some foam, buy some mesh heads (from roland or remo silent strokes), pop a circle of that foam in the shell, and install the mesh heads. A few tweaks to the trigger settings later, and you have the most basic mesh conversion out there (drumtec sells a kit that is basically just this, but with pre-cut foam).

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 02:31:17 PM »
I have a full kit with Simmons piezo triggers and Remo Silent stroke heads.  They stick just fine with the adhesive they come with. 

It really comes down to messing with the sensitivity settings on the module to make it work just right.  This helps to eliminate any ghost triggering or double triggers.  The kick drum is a little more difficult.  I have a Simmons piezo on my mesh kick drum, but I have to put a blanket against the head to stop double triggering.  It may be easier to buy a dedicated kick trigger, but I am sticking with it as it works for me.

Edit: If you are a hard hitter, get a kick patch as you can dent a mesh kick head easily.
Edit2: I just realized I am a month late to this party...oh well!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:21:38 PM by bluemx »