Author Topic: Greetings from Central Texas!  (Read 2738 times)

Greetings from Central Texas!
« on: September 15, 2014, 11:53:54 AM »
Hello all,
I have been playing drums for a pretty long time (since early 80's - so I am dating myself here)...   ;)     I started into edrums with a Roland DDR-30 and the old “triangle shaped” PD-21\31 Roland pads and also acoustic drums with triggers, as well as some of the Simmons hex pads.  Then I moved into the Alesis D4 module when it hit the market in early 90's (the sounds were incredible, it was inexpensive and easy to operate).  I also had a Roland TD-7 kit and module for several years (which was a pretty amazing kit at the time).   Then after getting married and having kids I pretty much stopped playing in bands but continued to play/practice strictly on edrum kits only.    After the TD-7 kit, I bought a TD-6 kit and then soon sold it and moved up to the TD-10 kit).  I still have the remnants of my TD-10 kit (minus the TD-10 module which was fried by a lightning storm a long time ago...so I have been on the Alesis DM10 with a TriggerIO for a while…I will post a pic of my kit…have lots of other add-ons that I have done).  I also have the Alesis DM8 module which I picked up very cheap on ebay – just to play around with.
I will likely be purchasing the DM Dock soon to play around with as well.  I guess I am sort of waiting to see if someone besides Alesis will create a more sophisticated iPad app to control the module.  (I have checked out the DM Touch app and it seems like a good starting point but pretty limited at the moment).  I have also played around with various VST software connected to my kit, but honestly, I like the ease of using just a module over the VST/computer.  When using a VST, I find myself messing with the software about 80% of the time and actually playing about 20% of the time.  (For me, I tend to like playing more than messing with the software, so the DM-10 is great for this).
Looking forward to hanging out here..   :)
Alesis Products DM10,DM8,TriggerIO,JamDock,DMPhones,Elevate3ActiveMonitors, Presonus AudioBox 22VSL,Roland Blue MDS10 Rack,Roland Pads:3xPD100 custom dual zone,1xPD120,3xPDX8,2xKD8,2xRare Roland BD Pedals,2xRolandHiHatPedals,Numerous Roland\Alesis Cymbals,Numerous Roland\Gibraltar Clamps.

Offline Trondster

Re: Greetings from Central Texas!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 01:05:07 PM »
Welcome aboard - nice setup! :)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:21:14 PM »
Nice looking kit, and welcome to the forum!

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 10:03:33 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Trondster and Hellfire.   Hellfire, I think I have seen some of your good information on Google a while ago... (I wasn't really aware of this forum at the time, all though I was probably reading one of your posts thru Google).  I was having a rough time getting cymbal chokes worked out on my multiple inputs\cymbals and I was heading in the right direction by using mute groups but there was some other detail which I was missing and your info was what finally got me over the hurdle.  ...So, a much appreciated and delayed thank you for information sir.  :) 
Alesis Products DM10,DM8,TriggerIO,JamDock,DMPhones,Elevate3ActiveMonitors, Presonus AudioBox 22VSL,Roland Blue MDS10 Rack,Roland Pads:3xPD100 custom dual zone,1xPD120,3xPDX8,2xKD8,2xRare Roland BD Pedals,2xRolandHiHatPedals,Numerous Roland\Alesis Cymbals,Numerous Roland\Gibraltar Clamps.

Offline ahu

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 04:18:17 AM »

Hey welcome !!!
....what kind of Cymbals are you using ??? They look great !!!

Andy

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 03:57:58 PM »

Hey welcome !!!

Andy

Thanks Andy.  Regarding my cymbals, I am using various cymbals which are painted in gold (minus the pad\striking surfaces)  Here is what I have:
Alesis 16" 3-zone ride
Alesis 14" 3-zone ride (used as a china and other misc)
2x Pintech 10" single zone (one used as a splash and one used as right side closed hihat-which i use mostly for switching to double bass patterns)
1x Roland CY-5 (Hi-hat)
2x Roland CY-6 (both as crashes)
2x Roland CY-8 (one as crash and other as a china)

thanks

Offline Sal

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 04:36:47 PM »

Hey welcome !!!

Andy

Thanks Andy.  Regarding my cymbals, I am using various cymbals which are painted in gold (minus the pad\striking surfaces)

Follow up questions:

1. Did you remove the striking surfaces or just tape them up before painting?
2. What paint?
3. You're cool with me totally copying you, right?
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:17:46 AM »

Hey welcome !!!

Andy

Thanks Andy.  Regarding my cymbals, I am using various cymbals which are painted in gold (minus the pad\striking surfaces)

Follow up questions:

2. What paint?

Answers...

1. For the underside of the cymbals, I removed the black plastic covers (didn't paint those) and taped up the piezo/wires/circuit board/jack.  For the top of the cymbals, I just slid the edge of some blue tape underneath the rubber (the best i could) and folded it over and taped on some paper over the rest of the rubber. 

2.  Rustoleum Metallics Gold.  I sprayed about 3 coats on each with 30 mins between the coats.  They all came out with a fairly shiny finish (for gold spray paint).  I also wanted to add some black Alesis or Roland decal logos but couldn't really locate any and they look pretty cool just plain anyway.     Also, I did mine about 6 months ago and surprisingly no scratches or nicks yet. 

3.  Go for it man!  Just promise you won't come after me if something goes wrong with yours.   ;D  Also, you might want to consider any risk if your stuff is still under warranty.

I think the gold gives them a nice acoustic look and it was very easy and cheap to do.  All you need is a roll of blue painter's tape, some newspaper, a couple cans of spray paint, and a boring Sunday...and your good to go.  Post a pic if you do it and good luck!

Offline Sal

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 09:01:57 AM »

Hey welcome !!!

Andy

Follow up questions:

2. What paint?

Answers...

Thanks a bunch! It really does give it a nice look.

I'm not too worried about my warrantee. I got mine off the Craigslist...
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 09:17:03 AM »
Nice hybrid!!

Gold cymbals are awesome  ;D

I've talked to a few people that sent back there DM Dock for refunds due to the distorted sounds it makes.  :(
DM10X kit, DW-3K double pedal, DW-3K tractor throne, 5AN VF sticks, Simmons DA200S, PS4 Gold headset.
Mods:
Remo silentstroke mesh conversion with 1/4" charcoal layer added on top of plates.
Sounds:
Bluejay in Module & EZdrummer 2 on laptop

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 04:51:22 PM »
I've talked to a few people that sent back there DM Dock for refunds due to the distorted sounds it makes.  :(

Thanks regarding my cymbals.   But, ouch man that's a bummer to hear about the DM Dock...   :-\   You would think in the amount of time Alesis has been working on it before its release...(years right?), it would be a solid piece of gear by now?  Thanks for the tip.  I would still like to get one to experiment with on a couple of pads or something.  I'm still keeping an eye out on eBay for someone wanting to get rid of one cheap.   ;) 

Offline bmealer

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 09:50:44 PM »
Really nice kit!
Alesis DM10-X, Remo Silent Stroke mesh heads, 682drums cone conversion, Tama Speed Cobra double pedal, Pork Pie Big Boy Drum Throne, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL, Studio One Producer, Superior Drummer 2

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »
Really nice kit!

Thanks bmealer.    8)

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 04:05:59 AM »
I just painted my cymbals gold and I was wondering why no one paints the rubber striking surface as well, I see no reason not to, but no one does.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 12:13:12 PM »
I just painted my cymbals gold and I was wondering why no one paints the rubber striking surface as well, I see no reason not to, but no one does.

Normally the paint will start to flake off the rubber area as it's played over time. Did you paint the rubber striking surface on your cymbals?

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 07:10:04 PM »

Normally the paint will start to flake off the rubber area as it's played over time. Did you paint the rubber striking surface on your cymbals?
[/quote]

Oh I see, but it won't like eat the rubber or make it work differently... That's what worried me. Hmm if I had an extra test pad I would try it to see how long until it would start to wear off. If anyone has any info of how long it could last please let me know. 😊😊

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 11:20:53 PM »
Hello,  I did not paint the rubber surfaces because spray paint does not do well on rubber.   Also, being that the rubber is the striking surface, I think the paint would almost immediately start coming off.  I am happy to report, that my cymbals still look good even after two years.  No scratches or chipping anywhere.  I still want to get my hands on some black Alesis and Roland logo stickers to add to the cymbals.  I think that would add a nice touch.   thanks!

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 11:34:49 PM »
Just order some custom stickers, I've done that before. Pretty cheap on eBay if I remember correctly.