Author Topic: Zildjian low volume cymbals NOW E-Cymbals  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Mr.J.

Zildjian low volume cymbals NOW E-Cymbals
« on: March 30, 2018, 02:01:35 PM »
Hey Gang

So after tons of trial and error I have successfully turn Zildjian Low Volume Cymbals into E-Cymbals. I have been at this for months and went thru a lot of piezos and honed my soldering skills almost to the point I think I may be ok at it.

This won't be a complex thread full of details however there will be enough info that you get the idea.

My set up is, DM10X with Laurin shells. I run everything thru a basic laptop running AD2.

The biggest challenges were.

1, Crash Cymbals. Although out of the gate I got the crashes to work good, not great but good. The crashes are very dynamic so the wires/solder joints continually broke on me. Ok right to the point. If you go this method you are better off using thin wires. Thick wires speeds up the breaking process. With the cymbal always rocking the motion worked the wires and solder joints to where they would break fairly quickly. Solution is to secure the piezo and solder joints with something strong. In my case I used Gorilla duct tape. Looks like crap but hasn't broken on me yet. Plus make sure the piezo and solder joints are not straight out plus add an extra loop so that the motion isn't being put onto your solder joints.

2, Ride and hi-hats. When you strike a cymbal it resonates. This is perfect for your crashes but will buzz badly on your hi-hats and ride cymbal. Solution, use cymbomutes. They do the trick.

As well use the smallest size piezo you can get for all of the cymbals.

This set up works amazingly. i couldn't be happier. Ok here's pics and I will do my best to answer your questions as best as I can.

First pic, the kit, second pic the size of the piezo, 3rd pic shows the wire relief, 4th shows the sweet spot for the piezo. I am using a Goedrum hi-hat controller too.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 02:05:00 PM by Mr.J. »

Offline Mr.J.

Re: Zildjian low volume cymbals NOW E-Cymbals
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 02:42:39 PM »
Oh, it's been a while since this adventure started so the first thing I learned wasn't on the top of my mind but if you do something like this you will have to use cymbal stands and not use the rack. The cymbals vibrate and the vibration will travel thru the rack and be picked up by the toms and yes you'll hear it.

Offline iCe

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 03:05:02 AM »
How do you trigger the ride bell?
Or how does the trigger/piezo know when you hit the ride bell?

I have a full set of L80's too and been thinking of doing the same, but it's a long process to figure out how. I have a DM10 with faulty pads, but i can always use the module as a trigger I/O or as a sound source (and put mesh heads on the toms etc. for the drum sounds)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 03:06:42 AM by iCe »
Alesis DM10 Studio kit with 682drums mesh heads
Asus F551MAV-BING-SX1008B - Laptop

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 07:04:51 AM »
Hi

I did set up the ride bell, the 1/4 jack is a stereo jack so you have to find out which channel is for the ride and which one is for the bell. I didn't have to change the module for this to work.

I do not use the bell as I found that if you strike the ride hard the bell piezo triggers too so I just use the natural bell.

If you do try this here's some advice. I pot the piezo with epoxy. The solder joints do and will break, the cymbals are dynamic and put too much stress on the solder joints. I got the 2 part epoxy at the dollar store and cover the piezo/solder joints with the epoxy and the set up I have now with this method has lasted me many months.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 03:35:58 PM »
I plan to do this as well. Thank you for the post.

I already purchased the L80's!

I am using small project boxes like the smart trigger cymbals to protect the piezo and mount a jack.

I want to add a Choke. I will research this.

I will need the bell on the ride too

I am using a the GoEdrum hihat controller on a regular stand with a roland cy5 for a hi hat know but I look forward to the new set of L80's!

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 10:18:24 AM »
You can add a choke with these, however it's got it's challenges.

You need to use a momentary switch that is normaly open/normaly closed. I haven't found one that is the correct size yet.

The cymbal will trigger 1 channel of the 1/4 connector and to invoke the choke the momentary switch will open that channel and close the other channel.

That works. Keep us posted on your progress.

Offline iCe

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 01:56:49 AM »
I found a guy in the US that makes triggers for L80's (3 zone ride, 2 zone crashes etc.) and a guy in Italy that does the same. Probably going to order from one of those, since i'm not that technical to tackle this myself. Maybe you'll find some info on their sites that you can use for your own projects :)

US http://www.stealthdrums.com/
Italy http://www.geardrum.it/index_en.html
Alesis DM10 Studio kit with 682drums mesh heads
Asus F551MAV-BING-SX1008B - Laptop