Author Topic: Alesis dm10 ride cymbal issue  (Read 2273 times)

Offline kenb021

Alesis dm10 ride cymbal issue
« on: January 19, 2018, 07:36:56 PM »
Hey guys,
So I play my alesis dm 10 in a church setting and have been trying to tweak the ride cymbal to solve this. The issue is that my stick hitting the cymbal is overpowering the drumset in general. What I have done is turn up the sensitivity and also turn up the volume on that pad only and turn down everything else. Still no go. Went out and bought practice tips for my sticks with no change. Any ideas on a cymbal that is quieter when being hit with a stick?

Offline rhysT

Re: Alesis dm10 ride cymbal issue
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 08:33:31 PM »
Simply try swapping the 2 cables at the ride cymbal A & B connectors. That should move the offending louder edge sound to the bell zone and allow reliable triggering of the bell sound when hitting the larger edge zone. The bow zone triggering is unaffected by the cable change.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:46:09 PM by rhysT »

Offline kenb021

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 08:43:15 PM »
Yeah that is the issue it is the bow that is the problem

Offline rhysT

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 08:59:55 PM »
At least the A/B ride cables swap is an easy check to try separating the bow and edge sounds more.

Offline korakios

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 05:58:18 AM »
Hi kenb021,
First check that the ride is set on 3zone in settings.
Then try to use 2 different stereo cables in case the cables are defected .
If the problem still exists do the following.
-Disable ‘3 zone’ mode .
-Unplug the 2 ride cables from the module.
-Set both inputs to the same sound&settings with the same trigger settings.
-Set both inputs on piezo/piezo
-unplug the stereo snare cable from DM10 and plug it to the inputs ,one at a time

Did you found a difference in volume? If so , one input is defected. Else the piezo or the wiring inside  the bow ride , has a problem

Hope it helps  :)

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 04:43:50 PM »
Also, if you're using the module face's sliders to adjust the volumes individually, don't forget that the bell of the Ride is Percussion 1.

To try and mitigate having to individually adjust these sliders all the time, I like to go into the Instrument settings and adjust the Lvl to better match the mix I'm looking for.

This can be tough, though. My Singer/Sound man wanted my toms to be quieter every gig, so I lowered their Lvl to match how he had me mix them during shows. It worked great. Now he wants them louder. Granted, I'm grateful that he wants them louder again, but it's one of those things - sometimes it's just nicer to adjust the sliders - even though they have to be set up all over again every time the module is powered down.

Ext Trig - these settings are everything when it comes to getting the right reaction from the feel of the playing style to how the sounds are delivered. Between Sensitivity, Retrigger, XTalk Send and Rcv, and Threshold, it can be a bit tricky t get just the right settings to get the triggers behaving the way you want them to.

As frustrating as it might be for some of us (tweaking these settings drives me absolutely bonkers!), we still have to take the time to do it. I've been gigging live with my kit (DM10X Mesh) since I got it and still haven't got these setting exactly right.
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 05:10:56 PM »
Here's a cool thread I just found by Hellfire: Setting Xtalk on the DM10
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist