Author Topic: Compatible snare drums for my Alesis Crimson?  (Read 5403 times)

Offline DAFFYDRUNK

Compatible snare drums for my Alesis Crimson?
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »
Is there any other snares out there that play nice with the Crimson/Command/Forge module other than the factory 12"? In case I haven't learned my lesson about bashing the poor thing, I'd like to go with something that can take a little more abuse. the Laurin 12" looks nice, but it says incompatible and I'm leery about trying to figure it out. GoErum and Pintech also have 12" dual zone snares that look interesting as well. The Pintech has gain adjusters for both zones which might help with the crimson module.

It's a somewhat  modded Alesis Crimson setup that I enjoy playing, except I badly broke the snare. After about 18 months, the center reflection plate snapped in half and damaged the trigger. Been trying to redo the thing with new piezos and a home made reflection plate, but it breaks again. Piezos are $1 ea Fleabay specials and might not be the best choice either. Thinking I should just stop trying to re-engineer this drum and get something more bullet proof.

Thanks for any info!

Alesis Crimson kit, Ludwig Atlas Standard pedal, some cute purple drum sticks. Now all I need is talent.

Re: Compatible snare drums for my Alesis Crimson?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »
Is there any other snares out there that play nice with the Crimson/Command/Forge module other than the factory 12"? In case I haven't learned my lesson about bashing the poor thing, I'd like to go with something that can take a little more abuse. the Laurin 12" looks nice, but it says incompatible and I'm leery about trying to figure it out. GoErum and Pintech also have 12" dual zone snares that look interesting as well. The Pintech has gain adjusters for both zones which might help with the crimson module.

It's a somewhat  modded Alesis Crimson setup that I enjoy playing, except I badly broke the snare. After about 18 months, the center reflection plate snapped in half and damaged the trigger. Been trying to redo the thing with new piezos and a home made reflection plate, but it breaks again. Piezos are $1 ea Fleabay specials and might not be the best choice either. Thinking I should just stop trying to re-engineer this drum and get something more bullet proof.

Thanks for any info!

Did Laurin say why it was incompatible? It's a bit odd for their drums to be compatible with the DM10 setups and not this one.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:15:51 PM by Hellfire »
Always thinking outside the | box |

Offline DAFFYDRUNK

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 04:14:42 PM »
I thought exactly the same thing. A buddy has the DM10x, and as far as I can tell it's the same 12" drum, only black instead of red. The Laurin website said incompatible, site so I emailed the owner (Robert) and asked why. He said 2 other customers have tried it and returned the drum, but he'd be interested in me trying it. Basically no risk and he'd even give me a little money back if I can figure out settings that work good enough to call it compatible.

The vibe I get from research is the rim trigger might be too sensitive and might unintentionally trigger. In the Crimson module at least, I've found out through experimenting with different setups it only triggers on at a time and the rim seems to dominate, so that could be a major issue. The return policy he gave me for trying is cool, but I hate to waste his time and money sending me one if it doesn't work out. I suppose I could add trim pots to fine tune, but I can accomplish that without busting out my soldering iron and get a Pintech 12" dual zone.
Alesis Crimson kit, Ludwig Atlas Standard pedal, some cute purple drum sticks. Now all I need is talent.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 09:09:11 AM »
I bought a snare and a kick drum from Robert at Laurin Drums. I did have to tweak my sensitivity etc on the DM10 but it works great. It's true that the rim trigger is very sensitive. Interesting (for me) that I find I don't get a great rim shot or click with the rubber protector on, so I've removed it for a while.. but if I tap the side of the drum, wow, it's loud.

So I'm sure it may just take a bit of MacGuyvering to get it to work even better on my DM10 and I can't imagine why it won't work with the newer Crimson, Command and Forge sets. BTW, I also found the kick's cone placement a bit off and I moved it over a touch, works great.

Just want to say also, Robert is top notch. I had some concerns at first that there was a problem with one of my cones or triggers (before I mucked with it) and he immediately shipped me out a whole replacement kit with cone, piezo, cabling and even the phono plug.. just in case I wanted to try to do a replacement.. and of course he sent instructions on how to do the replacement). The guy will bend over backwards to make you happy and I'd recommend them to anyone. It doesn't surprise me that he's willing to have you try it out and discount it if you can get it to work and pass him back your settings. Good businessman.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 12:31:23 PM »
I spoke to Robert Laurin directly about this exact issue and we came to the conclusion that his snare "should" be compatible with the Crimson. He offered me a discount to be a guinea pig, but sadly, as Robert is in Canada and I'm in the UK, even with a discount, the shipping made it beyond my financial reach at this time. Robert did say he was trying to get hold of a Crimson module to test it himself. I never heard back.

I'm hoping to visit the U.S. on business later this year, so was thinking about picking it up then, but I'd be very interested to hear from anyone that has successfully used one on a Crimson kit.
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2