Author Topic: Question about DM10 ZONE crosstalk  (Read 1581 times)

Offline korakios

Question about DM10 ZONE crosstalk
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:48:30 AM »
Hi,
I have a question for DM10 module and the ZONE crosstalk
Must mention that I have removed the resistors from the pad (working on a DIY mod for center/off-center articulation with mesh head)
I noticed that when I set zone xtalk to zero then DM10 listens to one trigger only. (the other never registers)
If I set zone xtalk to something else than zero , then the module registers only a trigger per hit (the center or the off-center depending where I hit) , but I want BOTH triggers to register velocity to calculate the position of the hit in detail (positional sensing).
Is this a hardware related feature (issue for me) ,or there is other way?
I also updated the firmware to the latest. Should I downgrade?

To summarize ,I need a way to register both triggers on a dual zone input.

Offline Hellfire

Re: Question about DM10 ZONE crosstalk
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:45:11 AM »
Hi,
I have a question for DM10 module and the ZONE crosstalk
Must mention that I have removed the resistors from the pad (working on a DIY mod for center/off-center articulation with mesh head)
I noticed that when I set zone xtalk to zero then DM10 listens to one trigger only. (the other never registers)
If I set zone xtalk to something else than zero , then the module registers only a trigger per hit (the center or the off-center depending where I hit) , but I want BOTH triggers to register velocity to calculate the position of the hit in detail (positional sensing).
Is this a hardware related feature (issue for me) ,or there is other way?
I also updated the firmware to the latest. Should I downgrade?

To summarize ,I need a way to register both triggers on a dual zone input.

Hi korakios,

Few issue with this:

- Trying to force a positional sensing system using two trigger inputs (via mixing the sounds of each zone) is difficult at best. Trying to get a smooth transition from one zone to the next will be an issue even if you get the DM10 to register the two zones hits at the same time (which is what you will need to make this work). I know because I've done this myself. Heck, I ended up making this back in 2009 because of it: New Three Zone eDrum Trigger Assembly. It is a very carful balance to make this work and it still isn't very good. I found the bigger the drum the better. So a full size snare drum will work better than a 10 inch trigger.

- As to the "zone talk" issue. This isn't good. The DM10 use to allow (at zone talk setting of zero) both trigger to trip and sound at the same time. If it isn't doing this then that means Alesis changed something in the firmware. Older firmware on the DM10 doesn't do this. What you described is how the Alesis Trigger I/O works which is a pain to deal with when trying to trigger adjacent zones at the same time.

- I doubt you will be able to downgrade your firmware. Firmware updated (from what I've found) is a one way ticket up. It doesn't let you put an older firmware back on the module (if you get it to work please state your results as I'm sure many would be interested). The only way to get around what you want to do is to use two different inputs on your module. To get a fulling working snare you are going to need two inputs eventually anyway. You could always put the "Rim" and "Off-Center" zones on the same input (make sure the Off-Center zone is the head zone) and then the "Dead Center" on another input. This will get you up and running for your tests.

I may end up moving your post to its own topic because what you are trying to do is much more than just X-talk stuff.

Offline korakios

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 12:50:26 PM »
Hi Hellfire :)
Could you move to a separate thread with a title
"Question about DM10 ZONE crosstalk" ?

Some info to share:
I did downgrade the firmware easily, DM10 module or the App  did not gave me any warnings :)
 I found 2 firmwares online ,the one from x kit (Mylar) and the newest mesh variant . I downgraded to Mylar (which is my original kit). Must mention I re flashed every file ( boot ,app, trigger, sound)

Now I did isolate the problem . With the Mylar firmware if I set the trigger preset to (edit) mesh x kit ( which by the way I find it strange to have that preset on the older firmware) there is no way to trigger both zones at the same time even if I set zone xtalk to zero.
 Switching to the normal "dm x kit " ( not the mesh ) I can now hear both zones at the same time as expected when zone xtalk is zero :)
 Please note that there is a side effect : Even setting the zone xtalk to max (7) the module does not completely cut the second zone (although it is quiet)

I will re flash to the latest mesh x kit firmware again and load the non mesh kit trigger preset. I am sure I tried it ,but I need to be 110% sure .

PS. I will post in DIY section a design for edge/center articulation . Needed to avoid multiple piezo so I made a floating plate (no xtalk) for the edge with a hole in the middle for the center. (More to come with photos until I find proper materials  ;) )
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:56:57 PM by korakios »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »
Hi Hellfire :)
Could you move to a separate thread with a title
"Question about DM10 ZONE crosstalk" ?

Some info to share:
I did downgrade the firmware easily, DM10 module or the App  did not gave me any warnings :)
 I found 2 firmwares online ,the one from x kit (Mylar) and the newest mesh variant . I downgraded to Mylar (which is my original kit). Must mention I re flashed every file ( boot ,app, trigger, sound)

Good to know.

Now I did isolate the problem . With the Mylar firmware if I set the trigger preset to x kit ( which by the way I find it strange to have that preset on the older firmware) there is no way to trigger both zones at the same time even if I set zone xtalk to zero.
 Switching to the normal "dm x kit " ( not the mesh ) I can now hear both zones at the same time as expected when zone xtalk is zero :)
 Please note that there is a side effect : Even setting the zone xtalk to max (7) the module does not completely cut the second zone (although it is quiet)

I will re flash to the latest mesh x kit firmware again and load the non mesh kit trigger preset. I am sure I tried it ,but I need to be 110% sure .

I'm glad you got it working the way it use to.

PS. I will post in DIY section a design for edge/center articulation . Needed to avoid multiple piezo so I made a floating plate (no xtalk) for the edge with a hole in the middle for the center. (More to come with photos until I find proper materials  ;) )

I look forward to your design.

Just as a side note, I too have a design that I built without multiple piezo elements and it sounds a lot like what you are building. My three zone snare used 3 piezo elements all center mounted in the drum. It's just a matter of stacking plates and isolated each one. I hope that helps.  ;)

Offline korakios

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »
I updated again the module and managed to isolate furthermore the issue.
Firmware had nothing to do with zone crosstalk .

But it makes huge difference to re-initialize trigger set up to different preset kit.
So choosing mesh kit ,besides setting the trigger gain high ,it also eliminates zone crosstalk ,useful for people having zone crosstalk issues.
 But if someone wants to trigger both inputs on the same zone (which is common for splitting a stereo input to 2 different mono pads) the non mesh kit should be selected.
 (Don't forget changing  the trigger setup means you loose ALL your trigger settings).

Hopefully it's not my module buggy (DM10 Mylar xkit) and it could help anyone in future...

Edit: Simply first set the retrigger to a value less than 2 and then zone xtalk to zero.

This old thread has some useful info (wish I read that before)
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1324.msg10479#msg10479

PS. Mr Hellfire you forgot to move my original post...(sorry for the trouble.... :P)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 06:17:35 PM by korakios »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 08:39:32 AM »
PS. Mr Hellfire you forgot to move my original post...(sorry for the trouble.... :P)

All fixed.  :)