Author Topic: Can DM10 use Roland and Yamaha cymbals ?  (Read 15818 times)

Offline raptor

Can DM10 use Roland and Yamaha cymbals ?
« on: February 15, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »
The DM10 manual mentions 2-zone cymbals for bell and bow. My Roland cy14's use bow and edge. Does this mean the DM10 can't utilize both zones? Thanks.

Alesis

Re: Can DM10 use Roland and Yamaha cymbals ?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 01:12:47 PM »
Raptor, just different names. Attached is the latest chart of pads/triggers we've tested with the DM10.

Best,
Dan

Offline raptor

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:25:09 PM »
Raptor, just different names. Attached is the latest chart of pads/triggers we've tested with the DM10.

Best,
Dan

Thank you sooo much!  :) May be time to order this module.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 01:36:30 PM »
The only issue is with Yamaha HiHats.  They are wired differently.  I think the issue is that Yamaha is opposite everyone else's.  (ie, will read full open when fully closed, and vice-versa).  Therefore, you can't calibrate.

PinTech sells a Yamaha HiHat adapter cable - it basically swaps the polarity in the cable.  anyone handy with a soldering iron should be able to duplicate.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline raptor

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 01:53:18 PM »
Well after reviewing the DM10 compatability chart, it looks like the cymbals for crashes only give me bow usage and maybe a choke at best.  By the way  the Roland CY-14's are only 2-zone cymbals not three and the PD-85's are mesh not rubber.
On the comments section of the compatability chart you mention Ride 1 and Ride 2; what exactly does this mean. Thanks.

Alesis

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:55:53 PM »
Raptor, those refer to the names of the DM10 inputs. One is labelled Ride 1, and another is labelled Ride 2/Perc 1. It's intended to help you set it up.

As far as crashes, the Crash 1 and Ride inputs work with choke. Any input can work with a dual-zone pad/trigger except for Hi-Hat and Crash 1.

Offline raptor

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 02:17:18 PM »
Raptor, those refer to the names of the DM10 inputs. One is labelled Ride 1, and another is labelled Ride 2/Perc 1. It's intended to help you set it up.

As far as crashes, the Crash 1 and Ride inputs work with choke. Any input can work with a dual-zone pad/trigger except for Hi-Hat and Crash 1.

Thanks for the clarification. But as I see it, I still end up with single zone crash on the bow (I prefer the edge for crashes). Might be better to stick with Yamaha or Roland at this time. Hopefully someone using these cymbal pads will clarify what zones they can trigger successfully with the DM10.

Alesis

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 02:20:45 PM »
Raptor,

You can use dual-zone crash triggers with any input on the DM10 except for Hi-Hat and Crash 1. As far as where the trigger is physically located on the pad and which sound it triggers in the module, that's completely assignable and easy to do. The module doesn't know where the signal is coming from; it just triggers the sound assigned to that particular trigger input.

Hope this helps,
Dan

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 02:22:55 PM »
I hope I've not made a mistake here! I've just bought off ebay, a "Yamaha PCY80S dual zone chokeable cymbal pad". I could not turn it down at the price it was being offered.

I did not even bother looking for a compatibility chart as the salesman told me the DM10 was backwards compatible with 99% of other manufacturers pads. I hope I'm not going to be dissapointed.

Given that I just spent £899 last weekend on the DM10 Pro Kit, my wife was not all that open to the purchase of another Surge Cymbal to use as a splash! £18 on ebay will just disappear and she won't even know (I hope she doesn't read this forum!)

Well, if it don't work it can go back on ebaY.

Oh, Raptor, you have posted while I was typing. I can say that the edge does trigger the crash quite easily when hit with anything other than light velocity. A crash would have to be triggered this way, surely????

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 01:01:20 PM »
Ok, it sort of works with the DM10 module. Connected to the Ride 1 input it has a single zone and choke. Connected to the Perc 2 input it has a single zone but no choke. This is using a standard stereo jack cable.

Any thoughts on if I need a cable mod to get the two zones working? Not really bothered about choke on this if it can't be easily done.

Thanks

Alesis

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 01:42:07 PM »
MB –

Only the Crash 1 and Ride 1 inputs have the choke function in the DM10.

Dan

Offline raptor

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 01:48:50 PM »
Ok, it sort of works with the DM10 module. Connected to the Ride 1 input it has a single zone and choke. Connected to the Perc 2 input it has a single zone but no choke. This is using a standard stereo jack cable.

Any thoughts on if I need a cable mod to get the two zones working? Not really bothered about choke on this if it can't be easily done.

Thanks

Did you see the compatability chart posted in an earlier thread. Which cymbal are you using?

Offline raptor

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 02:01:22 PM »
MB –

Dan

Question? If Ride 1 has the choke function can I use Ride 1 as a second crash so both Crash 1 and Ride 1 (now used as a second crash) can be choked?

Alesis

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 02:04:47 PM »
Yep.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 02:46:36 PM »
MB –

Dan

Question? If Ride 1 has the choke function can I use Ride 1 as a second crash so both Crash 1 and Ride 1 (now used as a second crash) can be choked?

Hmmm....  So, I want a Ride to behave like a ride... bell and bow. I don't care much about the edge or chokable.  And i want two crashes that I can choke.  Can I configure as such?  Or will only the Ride (and Crash1) have choke?

My plan was to add a choke cymbal to my future studio kit, using the other crash that is included as a china or splash.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:49:14 PM by Guinness »

Offline raptor

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 03:41:18 PM »
MB –

Dan

Hmmm....  So, I want a Ride to behave like a ride... bell and bow. I don't care much about the edge or chokable.  And i want two crashes that I can choke.  Can I configure as such?  Or will only the Ride (and Crash1) have choke?

My plan was to add a choke cymbal to my future studio kit, using the other crash that is included as a china or splash.

What I paln to do is use a second crash plugged into Ride 1. This gives me two chokeable cymbals (Crash1 and Ride1 inputs-and of course single zone in this case). A ride cymbal will be used on any other dual-zone input to get a two-zone ride, but it will not be chokeable. I hope I have this figured correctly.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:42:52 PM by raptor »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 04:00:39 PM »
MB –

Dan
Hey Dan,

I don't mean to muck things up but, couldn't I use a piezo/switch setting on one of the other inputs. Then set the switch up to have no sound and then set up a mute group to get a choke like function?

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 06:08:40 AM »
MB –

Dan

as so i understand it from dans pic from the other thread crash1 is chokeable, ride 1 is 2 zones with choke and perc1/ride2 is triple zone with choke so yes you could have 2 crashes with choke and a fully function ride
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

Offline raptor

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 09:31:33 AM »
MB –

Dan

as so i understand it from dans pic from the other thread crash1 is chokeable, ride 1 is 2 zones with choke and perc1/ride2 is triple zone with choke so yes you could have 2 crashes with choke and a fully function ride

Perc1/Ride 2 is a Dual-zone trigger but when used with Ride 1 will give you 3-zones with choke.  So yes one can have two crashes with choke and a functioning ride with no choke-never needed to choke my ride anyway.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:33:51 AM by raptor »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 11:48:16 AM »
Perfect.   Thanks for the clarification.  :)

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »
anytime bro  :)
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 01:10:48 PM »

Thanks

Did you see the compatability chart posted in an earlier thread. Which cymbal are you using?

Hi Raptor,

Yes I read the compat chart, but AFTER I bought the "Yamaha PCY80S dual zone chokeable cymbal pad" from ebay. I now understand why the choke only works when connected to the existing Ride or Crash input on the DM10, but not why the dual-zone part is not working. I guess its not fully compatible and only works single zone (or single zone with choke when using ride 1 or crash input)???

But still....a fairly cheap splash or china  (or whatever) addition to my kit. Would be nice if there was a mod so that both zones would function.

Offline raptor

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 05:02:23 PM »
Did you try a different trigger configuration for the PCY80s. Maybe piezo/piezo or piezo/switch. I wish I had a DM10 to test because I have Roland and Yamaha cymbals.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 06:22:01 PM »
Yes I read the compat chart, but AFTER I bought the "Yamaha PCY80S dual zone chokeable cymbal pad" from ebay. I now understand why the choke only works when connected to the existing Ride or Crash input on the DM10, but not why the dual-zone part is not working. I guess its not fully compatible and only works single zone (or single zone with choke when using ride 1 or crash input)???
That cymbal trigger is only a "dual zone with choke" on a Yamaha or Roland module. Not on an Alesis module. Yamaha and Roland can use a choke switch for both a zone and choke at the same time. Alesis can not. The way that cymbal would work on an Alesis DM10 would be either a dual zone (trigger set to piezo/switch) or a single zone with choke. Those are your only options with that trigger on the Alesis DM10.

The reason Yamaha and Roland can use the switch zone as both a zone and choke is because those module use what is called "after touch". After touch is not used on Alesis products. I hope this helps.

Offline raptor

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 08:09:43 PM »
That cymbal trigger is only a "dual zone with choke" on a Yamaha or Roland module. Not on an Alesis module. Yamaha and Roland can use a choke switch for both a zone and choke at the same time. Alesis can not. The way that cymbal would work on an Alesis DM10 would be either a dual zone (trigger set to piezo/switch) or a single zone with choke. Those are your only options with that trigger on the Alesis DM10.

The reason Yamaha and Roland can use the switch zone as both a zone and choke is because those module use what is called "after touch". After touch is not used on Alesis products. I hope this helps.

Exactly how does Alesis interpret a choke? Does the choke strip send a note off command when the strip is grabbed. Is this not the same as a switch?