Author Topic: Crimson Mesh Hardware - Snare Stand and L Pegs  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Failed Muso

Crimson Mesh Hardware - Snare Stand and L Pegs
« on: December 16, 2016, 09:16:16 AM »
Calling all Crimson Mesh owners...

Is it just me or is the snare stand not quite as tall as one might expect? I guess it's just a regular snare stand but when most acoustic snares are about 5" or 6" deep, the playing surface is a lot higher, but I'm finding it sits a bit lower than I'd like with the 12" Crimson snare pad installed. I'm only 5' 6" but I find that to get the snare height right for me, I'm having to lower my stool to a point where that then feels uncomfortable. I've kinda got it someway in between but it still bugs me. I guess the only solution is to buy a snare stand that has a taller reach. Right now, I have the supplied stand set at the tallest possible setting and the legs set so that it gives an extra lift without becoming unstable.

Secondly, how are you guys attaching the toms to the rack on the L pegs? I really wanted to try setting the angle of the surface flatter, so I began trying different ways of having the L peg clamped on the frame. I tried it with the peg coming from the front and rear, from the top and up from the bottom and found that in virtually all configurations, the wing nut that clamps the pad to the peg gets obstructed by the frame clamp. I finally found something that kinda worked, but it feels like a compromise.

I'm guessing that at the Crimson's price point, the hardware isn't going to be of a Gibraltar standard.

Just curious to hear other Crimson user's thoughts.
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

Offline rhysT

Re: Crimson Mesh Hardware - Snare Stand and L Pegs
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 12:16:23 AM »
Hey FM, if you don't want to lower the center cross-bar too much, maybe try raising it and inverting the clamps for Toms 1 & 2. I've done this on my DM10 rack and repositioned their L-rods to point down so all the pads are at a similar level.
Regarding the snare stand height, is it possible to add a chrome tube extension using any available hardware or perhaps velcro the snare pad to a foam disk of suitable thickness?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:45:41 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 11:44:21 AM »
I have the Crimson Mesh and I also find the snare far too low.  With the stand on the highest settings I'm still bruising my thighs.  Granted I'm really really tall at 5' 8"....   ???

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 06:29:20 PM »
I have the Crimson Mesh and I also find the snare far too low.  With the stand on the highest settings I'm still bruising my thighs.  Granted I'm really really tall at 5' 8"....   ???

I would say that I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one, but well... you know :(

I've kinda settled on a middle ground in terms of my throne height and the height of everything else, so I'll see how that goes.

It's just so obvious that they threw in a regular snare stand without a thought to the fact that the supplied snare pad is a good 4-5" more shallow than an acoustic snare.

In other news, I think I've cracked the positioning of the toms so that the wingnuts don't clash with the hardware or other nuts. The trick is to push the rack mounts to the far ends of the centre brace and the mount the pads at a 45 degree angle...

Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2