Author Topic: 2 aux inputs on module using a splitter?  (Read 2296 times)

2 aux inputs on module using a splitter?
« on: September 14, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »
Does anyone know if using a splitter so there can be two six inputs would work?
My wife is currently plugging her keyboard into the the MKII module and we’re both using headphones with a 3.5 mm splitter and that works great. If like use a kindle or notebook as another aux input device to play to tunes.

Ellis

Offline Iggford

Re: 2 aux inputs on module using a splitter?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 09:30:00 AM »
I don't see why this wouldn't work the other way, too.  Seems like I did this with my Roland TD-6 a few years ago.  I imagine it would work about the same way on any Alesis module.  I'm not at my kit until this evening.  I can check it on my Strike and DM10 when I get home.

--
Shawn.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »
Should work although maybe with double splitting there's a chance of interference or added resistance or something that'd downgrade the quality? (I'm no electronics expert.. just wondered if all those splittings will cause some buzzing if the gear isn't top notch).

I bought myself a fairly cheap mixer.. like 30 bucks or so. has 2 mic inputs that can be used with phono jacks as well, and a couple of stereo phono channels and RCA as well. That way I can patch in my mp3/phone, or a buddy's guitar, or keyboard, and mix the volumes separately.. seems if you're doing it only at the module you'll have to be careful that one instrument doesn't blow away the others.. I imagine you can just keep the volume in check at the instrument itself, but (again, I don't know all electronics) I feel like there's times when an input brings the feed in without volume control and you may get a blasting if you can't easily turn up or down the volume of the individual instruments.

I think a mixer would be safer.. plus, they're an awesome device to have around.. one day I felt like plugging in a mic and singing along and voila, easy to do with the mixer in there.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Iggford

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »
That's actually a much better idea.  I think it compromised the overall volume level I was getting from both sources when I ran the splitter, so it would be optimal to run through a mixer. 

I bought a Behringer PowerPlay P1 headphone monitor a while back.  It has the option of using a left and right stereo channel input, or mixing two inputs through a mono connection.  The only potential downside is that the inputs have to be XLR connections.  If you have that capability, or even have an adapter, the monitor itself was only $50 at Sweetwater.  It may be a good option as well.

--
Shawn.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 09:45:24 AM »
And I've amassed a bunch of adaptor cables over the years.. XLR to phono, XLR to RCA, to mini stereo jack (to plug mp3 into PA speakers), RCA to mini stereo and so on.. all seem to do the task without interference or degradation.. two things you can never have too much of.. cowbell (??) and cables lol
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Iggford

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 10:15:34 AM »
Definitely cowbell!

That's popular chant at our shows.  We open one of our mashups with a bass and cowbell bit.  The guys up front can usually get half the room to yell "More cowbell!!"

--
Shawn.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 07:16:56 PM »
Thanks for all the great responses! I need to download some more cowbell samples! Reminds me of what my bassist brother said when I told him about my new edrums “it’d be funny to make all the drums and cymbals sound the same!”, cowbell...lol.

I was looking at the Allen & Heath Zed Power 1000 and some 15” Yamaha speakers, but for some reason that mixer is discontinued and no apparent replacement. WTF?

Ellis

Sorry for all the typos, using my phone and my vision sucks.