Author Topic: Strike headphone conundrum RESOLVED  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Purpledc

Strike headphone conundrum RESOLVED
« on: February 18, 2018, 10:51:48 AM »
FIXED:  Turns out I was an idiot and needed to watch a tutorial.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:44:33 PM by Purpledc »

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: Strike headphone conundrum
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 06:58:38 PM »
Well, the PA will always sound different than your headphones.

In my case, our PA is never running a flat EQ, so that alone changes everything. I had the opposite: My first kit save was delicious in my headphones, but waaaay to much low end in the PA.

I finally had to set up my kit with the PA and set up my saved kit listening through the PA speakers - but in my DM10 it still sounds good through the phones. Just not as nice as I had it before. Being in two bands increases the challenge, but I've got it sounding pretty sweet.

I don't really have a clue what you're up against with the Strike. Have you tried running the Main Out with your headphones to see if the sound is different? If so, it there a kit-wide set of FX options? I could see how full kit FX might affect the Main (even Aux) Outs without affecting the headphones, possibly? Bah... that seems strange though - but might be the case, I guess.
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 09:42:40 PM »
yes.  Since making this post.  I should have marked it as resolved.   I found I was just very very inexperienced with dialing in sounds and utilizing the tools the module provides.   After actually learning how to use EQ and compression I was able to get things dialed in pretty sweet and its really just a matter of adjusting my volume faders between using headphones and the PA system.

Which by the way anyone that needs a cheaper solution for a drum amp should check out sams club if they have a membership.  They have an awesome ION PA powered speaker that seriously blows away all those 200 watt drum amps.   Its 500W max which is probably 280-300 watts RMS.   Has a 15" woofer and a 1" tweeter.   Dual mic inputs so you can run your left and rights into it for a mono signal.  Funny thing is ION is owned by the same company that owns and operates Alesis.  Thing seriously has so much volume a thud that I cant even turn it up a quarter of the way and actually sounds good to boot.   I got the thing for $169.   And I doubt anyone thinks its as cool as I do but it also does a LED light pattern to the beat when you play your kit.   

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 09:39:47 AM »
And I doubt anyone thinks its as cool as I do but it also does a LED light pattern to the beat when you play your kit.
Yeah... I bet I'd like that too! ;)

Cool! These things do take time to get used to. Drum modules, I mean. Constant learn/tweak cycle.
I use a powered monitor too, but it's not mine - and I want to get one. Thanks for the tip on the ION!

That's like half the price of a JBL EON 12"

Offline Purpledc

Re: Strike headphone conundrum RESOLVED
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 09:55:14 PM »
Best of all the 15” woofer moves so much air it acts as a fan.  You literally get a gust of light wind every kick to keep you cool.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 01:36:15 AM »
This one?

There are a few "ION" powered speakers at Sam's. Gonna have to see if my daughter is still a member and have her take me shopping! :)

In the above example, I love that it has it's own built-in cart handle and that it comes with a stand! Looks like a solid unit too.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 08:22:10 AM »
That's the one.  They had it on sale last week. I think that sale is over.  But they run it every other month.  So next sale flyer it should be available again at the $160.   Even at $200 it blows away any drum amp Ive tried.   

In store they also have one from Edison.   That one is MASSIVE.   It doesn't do a light show but that SOB is 800watts RMS and has a 18" woofer and a 4.5” titanium driver horn.   That is only $250.   Most places want $400-500 for that same unit.   I didn't opt for it because it was so big and because it only had one input.   And some kits don't have a mono out.  But if you bought two for $500 I think your kit would fall apart.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:20:13 AM by Purpledc »

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 06:39:17 PM »
But if you bought two for $500 I think your kit would fall apart.
LOL!!!
I like that ION you got. The specs looks great and it looks like it matches the whole Alesis scheme. I like portability, too.