Author Topic: Bass drum suddenly stopped working  (Read 1760 times)

Offline GiulioG10

Bass drum suddenly stopped working
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:32:05 AM »
Hi everyone, I was playing my kit, when suddenly the bass drum stopped responding. The cable is working, so the problem is with the drum itself. I tried opening and if I lower the threshold sound comes out when I move the mesh around. I'm not expert in this, so has anyone an idea on what might be the issue?

Offline Dobly

Re: Bass drum suddenly stopped working
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:14:11 PM »
Oh yes. I know about this.  The delicate piezo cops a hammering in the bass drum. My guess is that a wire has come off.  A 2/10 difficulty job to fix. Just open it up and have a look.

You'll need to replace the piezo. Only a ninja who works with a soldering iron 15 hours a day and actually solder wires back onto a piezo transducer.

The piezo's are dirt cheap. You can buy 10 of them for around $4 on ebay.

If you have the bassdrum type with the metal plate with the piezo stuck behind it, you'll need to move the piezo position to some place near the edge, away from where the batter hits.

If it keeps happening anyway (like it did for me) have a look at the mod I did to my bass drum.  That was almost a year and a half ago and it's still going strong.

http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6785.0

Offline korakios

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:07:15 AM »
And as usual I suggest glueing the cables where they are soldered to the piezo for extra durability  :)

Offline GiulioG10

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 12:19:35 PM »
Can I remove the mesh with no difficulties? I mean, it is slightly attached to a "rubber thingy" on the Lower part. Can I pull a little harder In order to open it or will I compromise everything?

Offline GiulioG10

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 07:05:49 AM »
I opened the back of the bass drum and I found out that the black wire has come off. I suppose this must be the issue, as on the other side off the drum everything seems to be fine apart from the little rubber thing that isn't perfectly glued. If I solder it back in place, will it work again? 

Offline korakios

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 08:55:14 AM »
Yes , but glue it after soldering.

Offline GiulioG10

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »
I soldered the wire wire in the back but nothing changed. Everything seems in place though, I was wondering if maybe the issue is in front, but there aren't any visible wires there do I don't really know where to look

Offline korakios

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 04:34:26 PM »
Some photos would help   ;)

Offline GiulioG10

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 10:39:54 AM »
This thing in the front is not perfectly glued. Could this be the issue?

Offline GiulioG10

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 10:43:56 AM »
And these are the wires in the back. I already soldered the black one because it wasn't connected

Offline korakios

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »
This thing in the front is not perfectly glued. Could this be the issue?

Unfortunately I can’t understand from the photo
If you tap with your finger the piezo , does it work ?