Author Topic: Ride cymbal settings  (Read 2654 times)

Offline JohnRick

Ride cymbal settings
« on: November 20, 2015, 05:01:16 PM »
Referencing this thread:
http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=3484.0

Yes - been setting up kit #4 properly now (the Alesis DM10X). The purchase of the pro-x-hat was a waste obviously, and I have now retreated to the original which is superior in every way except looks. However still a small issue with the ride, as basically mentioned in above linked thread.

I have updated firmware, adjusted sensitivity, globally and individually, treshold, retrigger, xtalk send+rec on all pads and cymbals until I get a decent result when listening via the module before transferring to trigger SD or AD libraries.

Ride is set up correctly. Stereo cables (TRS), I get the bell, bow and edge sounds. Bell, however, can never sound on it's own, and neither can edge - thus bow sound is ALWAYS triggering regardless of area hit, and the force used. Yes - it should logically be in xtalk settings and I have manipulated them to time's end. Activating note chase and trying to hit the bell in various places, softer/harder, just to get the bell zone to pop up on the screen never happens (just wishing to discover that it can be triggered w/o bow zone showing).

Any input? I heard someone suggested setting Ride bell to piezo, but that would likely not solve the problem.

Offline Trondster

Re: Ride cymbal settings
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 07:20:31 PM »
What are your trigger settings for the head and rim of the ride?
If you can't get the bell and bow zones to sound on their own it sounds like you have a too low zone xtalk setting - this is the xtalk setting that can be set to 6 or 7. (Xtalk send and receive should usually not be set to 6 and especially not to 7).
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline JohnRick

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 04:57:12 AM »
I can check this Monday, but as I recall the xtalk setting was fairly high (>6) and I always try to stay below <5 for the send/receive settings (usually as low as possible).

Offline Bones

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 05:53:50 PM »
I have some similar concerns that I need some help with...

My issue is that my DM10x kit was all setup and working perfectly fine for me in my home, but I recently donated my kit to our church and the ride cymbal just isn't working out for our drummer and I can't seem to adjust the settings to his likings.

The problem is, the "crash" will trigger unexpectedly when he's using the bow.  We can get a clean bell sound, and bow, and crash but as I said the crash will randomly trigger.  I've tried looking for ride cymbal settings for the crash but all I can pull up is the bell and bow settings.   

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.
A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless to resist.

Offline Bones

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 02:51:21 PM »
I have some similar concerns that I need some help with...

My issue is that my DM10x kit was all setup and working perfectly fine for me in my home, but I recently donated my kit to our church and the ride cymbal just isn't working out for our drummer and I can't seem to adjust the settings to his likings.

The problem is, the "crash" will trigger unexpectedly when he's using the bow.  We can get a clean bell sound, and bow, and crash but as I said the crash will randomly trigger.  I've tried looking for ride cymbal settings for the crash but all I can pull up is the bell and bow settings.   

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Can anyone offer some advice?  Again, thanks in advance.
A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless to resist.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 12:35:28 AM »
Is it the main crash or the edge zone of the ride?

Could you give us all the trigger settings of the ride zones?
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline Bones

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »
Trondster, thank you for responding.  Last night I worked on setting the cymbal some more, unfortunately, I didn't see your response until today while at work, and I don't recall the particular settings.  Sorry. 

Last night, I tried to duplicate his error that he receives.  The best I can do is  get the crash from hitting the edge, and occasionally from hitting the bell.   I'm hitting the bow pretty hard, comparable to driving a nail with a hammer and all that is signaled is the bow as intended. 

I've come to the conclusion that he's hitting the cymbal flat with his stick instead of a precise strike to the center with the tip.

So, I had the thought of removing the crash completely.  I tried to set the ride to a 2 zone instead of a 3 zone but when I do that, it sounds like I'm playing the crash instead of the bow.  Perhaps I can open up the cymbal and unplug the trigger inside? Or, unplug the cable from the "B" port on the ride cymbal?  If I'm not mistaken "A" port is the bell/bow.   

Further thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:11:59 PM by Bones »

Offline Bones

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 12:41:09 PM »
Well, I went to go work on the ride cymbal again last night, upon arrival I discovered the electric ride cymbal was replaced with an acoustic ride cymbal.  So, I guess at this time, never mind but thanks for trying.

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 06:19:36 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that he's hitting the cymbal flat with his stick instead of a precise strike to the center with the tip.

hi, I just wanted to pipe in that after 2 weeks of tweaking everything I could think of the above statement was the key to my issue.

Thanks.

I would be playing the ride and every once in a while it would crash, drove me crazy. I read the above, changed the angle of my ride and even changed sticks and stayed very aware of my striking angle and went from hating my ride to enjoying it.

Is being a drummer like a brotherhood?

As a newbie drummer and a newbie DM1O dude this place is worth it's weight in gold and that's because of the great people here.

Offline mpanzer

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 10:35:58 PM »
This may be a little late of a response but I thought It’s worth mentioning What I came across this evening. Ever since I got my DM10X kit, i’ve Had the random crash sounds. Usually it’s due to accidentally hitting too close to the edge of the ride. I’ve Never liked using any ride cymbal as a crash and the crash sound Alesis uses is terrible, so I never want to hear it. I tried connecting a splitter the the DM10 unit at the input where the “ride 2’ cable connects. I then plugged the “ride 2” cable into the “tip” jack of the splitter. After doing this, the ride cymbal only triggers from the bow and bell. I cannot get the crash sound and cannot choke. This is exactly what I was looking for! I didn’t have much time for testing this yet but it seems to do the trick for those troubled with the crash sound triggering.

Hopefully this will help someone still looking for a solution.