Author Topic: DM10 not showing up as Midi Device in Toontrack Solo- Driver issue apparently?  (Read 7375 times)

Offline Willyvee

So I've loaded the EZdrummer lite along with Toontrack solo and followed along in the DM10 manual to try to control the few sounds in EZ lite from my kit.
I should note that when I tried this I had not downloaded the Apps from Alesis (maybe that's an issue?).  WHen I connected the USB I got a message that the device was installing- then I got a message that there was an issue, so the DM10 showed up onl as a composite usb device- I wasn't sure if this was a huge issue because the manual mentions that windows users might get a message that a driver couldn't install and to ingnore this (this is in the updating module section).
So, I went over to Toontrac solo and set the controller to E-drums and then tried to select the midi device (the Dm10) but I just kept getting a message that no midi device was found.  Since the DM10 isn't installing completely I can see where Toontrack solo cant' see it- any suggestions on a fix, ? How do I get the DM 10 to show up as a USB Audio device as described in the manual, and from there, is that enough for Toontracsolo to recognize it (maybe I should try to choose it from a different drop down- perhaps audio device?

Offline vaikl

Willy, the DM10 hasn't any firmware driver that needs to be installed. It uses the generic USB- and MIDI drivers in Windows, so that the error you've got during first connect is not typical.

Try to disconnect all other USB devices before you power on the DM10 or try another USB port on your PC and avoid an USB hub. It may be worth to check and clean the registry because older/other USB drivers leave their "fingerprints" even when not connected anymore. There are tools available which can search for and delete such invalid entries.

In Toontrack Solo the only point to select the "USB audio device" is the MIDI menu, so that a MIDI driver (the generic one from Windows itself) must be visible. Otherwise there maybe a conflict in Win with MIDI.

Sorry that I can't help further, but in most cases the procedure described in the manual works ok and issues are located on the OS side.

Offline Willyvee

No problem, I appreciate the help! What's strange is that this is a new computer (only had it a few days), the DM10 is the only thing I've plugged into the USB (tried two different ports) so far.  Sounds like I need to check my USB ports and such.  Thanks again!

Offline Willyvee

Good news, it's working now! I had tried two different USB ports last night- today I tried a third usb port and was using a different cable.  It's strange though, the DM10 was "kind of" recognized last night- there were two items , the first recognized it as a composite usb device while the second was trying to recognize as the usb audio device.  This all happened no problem today.  Of course, once I was at this point the DM10 showed up as a Midi device in ToonTrack Solo.

I have to say, I really like the sound of the snare on TT's EZDrummer lite- I did have to switch to Asio as the audio device but I think I need to get an actual USB audio interface (I just downloaded ASIO4 all but am still using onboard (inadequate) sound card.

Thanks so much for all the support, this forumis great!!!! I do appreciate the excellent support (better than alot of pro tech support service I've had)

Offline vaikl

I had tried two different USB ports last night- today I tried a third usb port and was using a different cable.  It's strange though, the DM10 was "kind of" recognized last night- there were two items , the first recognized it as a composite usb device while the second was trying to recognize as the usb audio device.

I could write books full of my "adventures" with USB devices and their life in Windows. The first one would be titled "Indiana Klaus and the USB maze of death" ;) ;) ;D

Offline Willyvee

I'd buy the first copy of that book!

Hi Guys

I'm a new alesis user and I bought it exactly to be able to connect to my computer to record my band's songs.
The problem is that I'm having exactly the same issue as the topic creator.

I have updated to the lastest firmware without any problem.
Disconnected all USB, and run a program to clean USB old registry entries.
I tried to connect to the laptop of a friend and works fine.

What happens, when I connect the USB to my computer it detects it but don't install properly.

When I connect to some USB ports appear like that (see attach 1)
with some others USB ports is like that (see attach 2)

I'm trying to use superior drummer 2 and no MIDI device is found (attach 333)

I need your help please...

Cheers

Offline Dobly

Just on a hunch make sure you plug it into a USB 2.0 port. Not USB 3.0 (the blue ones)

I know this was an issue with my Focusrite 2i4. Mabye it will help you here.

Hi Dobly, thanks for the reply.

But I doubt my computer have any 3.0 ports. Anyway I tried in any single USB ports it has (6) and nothing

Offline Chaser

I noticed your image is on the "Construct"...what is showing on the Midi setup page? ..you should show a midi in device..even if it's just Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.
Also..What OS?..is it 32 bit or 64 bit?.
Which version of Toontrack solo? The Toontrack solo icon in the pic is for a very old version
Which version Superior ?...2.0....2.4.1?

In device manager the DM10 is identified ..but looks like incomplete setup..Class compliant drivers are included in the OS..
Have you tried uninstalling the conflicts (right click-uninstall)..then restarting the computer and then plugging the module back in ?(note any error codes..28  etc)

What program did you use to " to clean USB old registry entries."?..Did you set a restore point before doing this?

Here is a trouble shooting guide for class compliant USB devices
https://noterepeat.com/articles/pc-troubleshooting/95-troubleshooting-class-compliant-usb-computer-peripherals

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:23:31 PM by Chaser »

Hi Chaser, tonight I will flash my BIOS, I have a very old version. Also going to check my USB Chipset and update it to the latest.

I will reply to your questions after :) (reading the article you posted)

Thank you so much
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:03:29 AM by BAD-RELIGION »

I noticed your image is on the "Construct"...what is showing on the Midi setup page? ..you should show a midi in device..even if it's just Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.
Which version of Toontrack solo? The Toontrack solo icon in the pic is for a very old version

In device manager the DM10 is identified ..but looks like incomplete setup..Class compliant drivers are included in the OS..
Have you tried uninstalling the conflicts (right click-uninstall)..then restarting the computer and then plugging the module back in ?(note any error codes..28  etc)

What program did you use to " to clean USB old registry entries."?..Did you set a restore point before doing this?

https://noterepeat.com/articles/pc-troubleshooting/95-troubleshooting-class-compliant-usb-computer-peripherals

Updated my BIOS and My Chipset and nothing changed. I'm sure that I have tried all USB ports, so 3.0 or 2.0 I tried them all.

My windows is 64 bit. I don't think The toontrack is the issue, the issue is the computer, because I tried the MIDI-OX and the drumkit is not showing there also.

I have trying to uninstall to install, to turn the Module first on, the computer first on, all the possibilities...

I used USB Oblivion to clean USB registry. I don't think I have done the restore point, not sure to be honest.

The cable is working because I tried in my flatmate's laptop and it detects the Alesis DM10 without the yellow exclamation mark, but tomorrow I'm going to test it with MIDI-OX to see if is really working. If yes maybe I will try to install windows 10 in another partition...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:44:58 PM by BAD-RELIGION »

Offline Chaser

Updated my BIOS and My Chipset and nothing changed. I'm sure that I have tried all USB ports, so 3.0 or 2.0 I tried them all.

My windows is 64 bit. I don't think The toontrack is the issue, the issue is the computer, because I tried the MIDI-OX and the drumkit is not showing there also.

I have trying to uninstall to install, to turn the Module first on, the computer first on, all the possibilities...

I used USB Oblivion to clean USB registry. I don't think I have done the restore point, not sure to be honest.

The cable is working because I tried in my flatmate's laptop and it detects the Alesis DM10 without the yellow exclamation mark, but tomorrow I'm going to test it with MIDI-OX to see if is really working. If yes maybe I will try to install windows 10 in another partition...

The reason I mentioned the old Toontrack Solo(2007) was to help and try to determine what OS you have (I still don't know) as it could be anything from XP ,Vista,Win 7 on up.and Microsoft no longer supports those at all so if you're missing any  INF & PNF files,system files, drivers for class compliant devices for those OS I have the actual Microsoft installers..this was a common problem for those OS they needed them in order for a class compliant device to communicate with the OS...I have a large data base for system/hardware used over the years,mostly hardware Pro Tools stopped supporting and I stopped supporting Pro Tools . I still fire up on occasion for friends who did projects on my old systems like a XP Pro tools TDM, G4/5 Pro tools rig..or Opcode Studio Vision..etc.There are still a large number of people/Groups/Studios that use  older OS/hardware for music production.
It still amazes me how currently I use more Ram to load this web page than it did to run instances of Pro Tools 10 years ago.

If it's Win 8 and up that's different...did the module work prior to the update/USB Oblivion?..USB Oblivion puts a backup reg in the user/documents folder in case something goes wrong and you can restore the REG keys.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:38:58 PM by Chaser »

Oh Chaser, sorry for that I thought I had said in the first post that I was using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 x, but apparently I didn't lol

So if you have any "INF & PNF files,system files, drivers for class compliant devices" for my windows and you could send me that would be amazing! :D

I'm ready to install windows 10 in a new partition.

I just tested the MIDI-OX in my flatmate's computer and is working fine with my DM10 and windows 10

Offline Chaser

Oh Chaser, sorry for that I thought I had said in the first post that I was using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 x, but apparently I didn't lol

So if you have any "INF & PNF files,system files, drivers for class compliant devices" for my windows and you could send me that would be amazing! :D

I'm ready to install windows 10 in a new partition.

I just tested the MIDI-OX in my flatmate's computer and is working fine with my DM10 and windows 10

The problem with that USB Trouble shooting page is it's a page distributed all over the Web copied from multiple companies , but they fail to mention how to get the drivers except using "Win update" etc.You can't get drivers from Win update for the older OS..Microsoft removed everything from their data base.You might be able to re-install them from a Real Microsoft installation disc..not many of those around.

Here you go ..installation instructions are in each folder...Hopefully it solves the problem

Not so easy as it seems, not easy to replace .dll and .sys files on my windows. Googleing but still nothing worked

Was able to do with UNLOCKER but now is even worse, now nothing is working, I have to revert to the old files.

Going to install windows 10 now... lets see what happens

Offline Chaser

Not so easy as it seems, not easy to replace .dll and .sys files on my windows. Googleing but still nothing worked

In order to modify/rename/replace system files will depend on UAC settings/ permissions,by default system files are read only .I assumed since you were already using programs making changes in the registry keys you were already setup .You'll need to "take ownership" of the files or the System 32 folder before you'll be allowed to replace them.

Windows 10 works well...depending on which version.I use the LTSB..No telemetry,metro tiles,app store,edge etc..you can control/disable windows update/defender/smartscreen .

Windows 10 is installed, but still have to install all (motherboard, sound, graphic card) drivers.

I also found this article
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/248871-45-windows-detecting-midi-keyboard

I always assumed that could be something in the BIOS that could enable USB / MIDI, but this is just a theory...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:02:11 AM by BAD-RELIGION »

Offline Chaser

Windows 10 is installed, but still have to install all (motherboard, sound, graphic card) drivers.

I also found this article
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/248871-45-windows-detecting-midi-keyboard

I always assumed that could be something in the BIOS that could enable USB / MIDI, but this is just a theory...

I think the main problem is 64 bit..there were a lot of problems with midi during that time manufacturers did not have any Win 64 bit drivers and never did any.
The problem was "ksthunk" was either missing (I provided in the folder above) or it was at the bottom of the stack.

There was a registry hack that fixed a number of midi problems..no sound,no midi,midi disconnects..etc...you could try it..

Type "regedit" in the search bar, when registry editor appears create a backup ..file..export ..name it today's date( easy to remember)

then go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318..

There should be 7 keys...if there are only 6 it's missing a key (UpperFilters)..you'll need to create one..if it's already there , then just close everything out

To create a key- right click - New - Multi-String Value, change name to "UpperFilters"(no quotations)  then change data entry to "ksthunk"..(no quotations)

close it...then restart windows...

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:42:29 PM by Chaser »

I have the 7 keys...

Not even with windows 10 :(

Always with the yellow exclamation mark except once, but when I oppened MIDI-OX it was acting crazy, like if someone was hiting the drums every second, just a continuos midi (like you can see in the image)

Don't really know what to do anymore. So disappointed...

Don't know if it helps, I know it is in Portuguese, but you can see the version of the controller.

No one else here with windows 7 x64 that can help me?

Offline Chaser

Don't know if it helps, I know it is in Portuguese, but you can see the version of the controller.

No one else here with windows 7 x64 that can help me?

I have an active Windows 7 x64 Ultimate build..I don't have a DM10..sold it years ago , however the TriggerIO works fine and uses/shows the same driver.
The DM10 was recognized and worked properly on your friends laptop?..including Midi-ox?

Yes, perfectly. I'm going to try in another laptop and see what happens.

Do you recommend any IT forum where I can ask some help? I was convinced that by installing windows 10 would fix the problem, but it seems an hardware problem and not a software one. maybe could be a motherboard issue.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:49:47 AM by BAD-RELIGION »

Offline Chaser

Yes, perfectly. I'm going to try in another laptop and see what happens.

Do you recommend any IT forum where I can ask some help? I was convinced that by installing windows 10 would fix the problem, but it seems an hardware problem and not a software one. maybe could be a motherboard issue.

What motherboard or PC model do you have ?..have you checked in the BIOS for USB..and seen if there is a  Legacy USB setting?
Do you have any other USB gear you can connect and see if there are any issues ?