Author Topic: Tightening/tuning mesh heads?  (Read 4573 times)

Tightening/tuning mesh heads?
« on: September 09, 2018, 03:29:58 PM »
What are the do’s and dont’s regarding tightening mesh heads?
Given possible differences in the surface of the rim and washers, how do most of you tightening them evenly?
Also how tight is too tight?

My new kit seemed to have a few lugs that were much looser than others. I tried to hear the tuning of the mesh but no luck - maybe if the room was silent.

Ellis

Edit:
So, after doing more reading it seems you tighten them until they feel right to you. I’m still not sure if how cautious to be tightening the snare like a normal tight jazz snare.?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:44:26 PM by Ellis »

Offline rhysT

Re: Tightening/tuning mesh heads?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 06:22:21 PM »
What are the do’s and dont’s regarding tightening mesh heads?
Given possible differences in the surface of the rim and washers, how do most of you tightening them evenly?
Also how tight is too tight?

My new kit seemed to have a few lugs that were much looser than others. I tried to hear the tuning of the mesh but no luck - maybe if the room was silent.

Edit:
So, after doing more reading it seems you tighten them until they feel right to you. I’m still not sure if how cautious to be tightening the snare like a normal tight jazz snare.?

Hey Ellis check out this video for some useful tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hsQFd0CKgA

I just tension my mesh heads for good stick rebound and try to avoid over-tightening them.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:16:07 PM by rhysT »

Re: Tightening/tuning mesh heads?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 07:01:50 PM »
Thank you for the reply and link!