Author Topic: Anyone using the DDTI TRIGGER INTERFACE?  (Read 9429 times)

Anyone using the DDTI TRIGGER INTERFACE?
« on: June 07, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone here uses the DDrum DDTI TRIGGER INTERFACE?

Seems to me I can abandon a drum module and use this in conjunction with my DAW and Perfect Drums, Addictive Drums, Slate, etc

Am I correct?

Online Hellfire

Re: Anyone using the DDTI TRIGGER INTERFACE?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 11:27:16 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone here uses the DDrum DDTI TRIGGER INTERFACE?

Seems to me I can abandon a drum module and use this in conjunction with my DAW and Perfect Drums, Addictive Drums, Slate, etc

Am I correct?

The quick answer is: Kind of.

Keep in mind that all modules are not equal when it comes to functionality and I'm referring to the triggering functionality and not the sound engine. As an example, do you want dual zone crash cymbals with choke on your set-up? That is three different functions on one trigger input. The DDTI is not capable of that combination of functions with a single crash cymbal. DDTI can either be a single zone with choke or a dual zone with no velocity on the edge switch.

With triggers there are two main kind of "pick-ups" sensors used. A "piezo element" (variable output, variable velocity) and a simple "switch" (two outputs, ON or OFF, no variable velocity). To get a variable velocity on a switch zone (like the edge of a cymbal) the module actually looks at the bow piezo element to get the variable output. The DDTI can not do this. It sees the zones as totally separate. It doesn't know to get the variable output from the piezo. So you only get an ON or OFF signal from any "switch" zone. To get a dual zone trigger on the DDTI, you need to set the input for piezo/piezo. That will allow dual zone variable output triggering for drum pads. BUT, your trigger must have a piezo sensor for both zones. Cymbals typically do not use dual piezo elements. I've only seen one commercially available Cymbal that uses two piezo elements and that was many year ago and was only use as a ride cymbal. Piezo on the bow and piezo on the bell. No edge sensing which means no choking. 

So you really need to ask yourself, how do I want my drums to function and then see if the module you want to use to trigger software can do those functions.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 12:03:11 PM »
How about the Megadrum?

What are your thoughts on those?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 06:23:49 PM »
How about the Megadrum?

I'm not going to say what each module you through out can and can't do. That's up to you to find out.

What are your thoughts on those?

You need to really like DIY and tweaking to use the Megadrum.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 06:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the input  8)

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 07:25:27 AM »
I'm currently using SSD4 and Ddrum DDTI (Alesis IO Trigger rebrand) with DDrum pads for my cymbals and Ddrum triggers for my toms and kick drum. I'm using a Joebeky AI Trigger for my snare.

I have the issues as mentioned above. My cymbals are dual zone but they are not firing the dual zone triggers.

I'm also having issues with my Jobeky AI trigger  - it only seems to play the MIDI note and not the other notes available for the snare. Unless I change the MIDI note on the DDTI.  :(
The sensitivy and response is good though.
https://jobekydrums.co.uk/product-category/triggers/jobeky-ai-trigger/

I'm new here and I've just found this MIDI Mapping for the Alesis IO and SSD4. I might give that a try and post my findings....
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=140.0

:)
Alesis IO (ddrum DDTI branded box!) and SSD4.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
I'm currently using SSD4 and Ddrum DDTI (Alesis IO Trigger rebrand) with DDrum pads for my cymbals and Ddrum triggers for my toms and kick drum. I'm using a Joebeky AI Trigger for my snare.

I have the issues as mentioned above. My cymbals are dual zone but they are not firing the dual zone triggers.

Welcome to the forum. Please re-read my comment above about cymbals with the DDTI. Your cymbals are piezo/switch. You need to set your DDTI for PS on the trigger type. You will then need to set the midi note for each zone. Again, you will not have velocity on your switch (edge) zone and you will not be able to choke the cymbal. That is a limitation of the DDTI.

I'm also having issues with my Jobeky AI trigger  - it only seems to play the MIDI note and not the other notes available for the snare. Unless I change the MIDI note on the DDTI.  :(
The sensitivy and response is good though.
https://jobekydrums.co.uk/product-category/triggers/jobeky-ai-trigger/

I'm new here and I've just found this MIDI Mapping for the Alesis IO and SSD4. I might give that a try and post my findings....
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=140.0

:)

You need to make sure that your snare is set for piezo/piezo input (or PP trigger type). Then make sure you set the notes for each zone.

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 07:17:54 AM »
You sir are absoultly spot on :) So grateful for your advice and tips. That clears ups those issues.
My Jobeky dual snare is working perfect now.
I can live with my dual zone Ddrum trigger pads only playing one note at a time, no choke.

Which leaves me with a problem on the Hi Hat, it only plays one note at a time, depending on which MIDI note I send. Not very good.

Do you know if the Roland VH-11 is compatabile with the ddrum DDTI (Alesis IO)? There's no results from any users here but I've done some google searches and it would appear that it does, with mixed results.
Or should I research a different brand of hi hat pad?

Much appreciated.
Thanks

Alesis IO (ddrum DDTI branded box!) and SSD4.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 08:31:26 AM »
You sir are absoultly spot on :) So grateful for your advice and tips. That clears ups those issues.
My Jobeky dual snare is working perfect now.
I can live with my dual zone Ddrum trigger pads only playing one note at a time, no choke.

Keep in mind you can set your cymbals up to be single zone with choke. Assuming your VST can be programed for a choke note in midi.

Which leaves me with a problem on the Hi Hat, it only plays one note at a time, depending on which MIDI note I send. Not very good.

Do you know if the Roland VH-11 is compatabile with the ddrum DDTI (Alesis IO)? There's no results from any users here but I've done some google searches and it would appear that it does, with mixed results.
Or should I research a different brand of hi hat pad?

Be aware that there are two different type of hi-hat controller that the DDTI can use:

• Switch type (and I believe the DDTI is set default this way)
     • Continuous type

You will need to reference the manual on how to set these different type up as I don't remember off the top of my head. The Switch type only sends three midi notes (open, closed, and foot).  The Continuous type will send a rand value for the open to closed position. You will need to make sure you are set up for a Continuous type hi-hat controller within the DDTI and then you will need to make sure your VST is mapped to what the DDTI is sending.

As to the Roland VH-11 being compatible. I'm sure it works on some level but I doubt it is 100% compatible. Mainly because the hi-hat trigger on the VH-11 is dual zone and the DDTI only can use a single zone hi-hat pad (again, a limitation of the DDTI). Keep in mind that the DDTI was really designed for Continuous foot pedal devices like the Roland FD-7/8 and the Alesis Real Hat Pedal. I would first try setting up your DDTI for Continuous hi-hat control before switching to a different hi-hat set-up.