Author Topic: Strike Pro module suddenly stopped registering inputs from all pads during show  (Read 1400 times)

I posted this on the official Alesis support forum, but the suggested cause (problem with the snake cable) has been ruled out and at this point I'm stuck, but will not use the Strike at a gig again until I can get to the bottom of this:

On my third gig using the Strike Pro kit, all of the drum sounds suddenly cut out right in the middle of a song. I looked over at the module and saw that it was still powered, but none of the hits on any of the pads were registering on the screen. In a panic I thought to try turning the module off and on again, and that seemed to solve the problem and the rest of the show went off just fine.

My concern is that I now don't trust the module because every time I use it I'm going to be worrying about the same thing happening. This is the first negative thing I've experienced personally in regards to the Strike Pro kit, and really love it otherwise. However, if the Strike Pro is going to gain widespread acceptance with professional musicians, it really needs to be rock-solid in the reliability department.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? BTW, I'm using the latest firmware (v1.2) at the time of this writing.

Offline rhysT

Welcome safer, and I was interested to read in your related topic (http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/strike-pro-module-suddenly-stopped-registering-inputs-from-all-pads-during-a-performance) that another Strike owner experienced a similar problem when playing a "slightly modified preset kit".

I don't own a Strike kit but am wondering what mods you made to the preset kit settings and if any extra sample/s were added to it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:39:52 PM by rhysT »

rhysT - No new samples were added. The only mods I made were to swap out a few of the sounds with other preset sounds (I think I changed one of the crash cymbals, put cowbell sounds on two of the tom rims, and a vibra-slap sound on a third tom rim). Other than that, nothing.

Thanks

Offline rhysT

No new samples were added. The only mods I made were to swap out a few of the sounds with other preset sounds (I think I changed one of the crash cymbals, put cowbell sounds on two of the tom rims, and a vibra-slap sound on a third tom rim). Other than that, nothing.

It's weird the problem occurred more than once after several hours and happens just using preset sounds in your User kit/s. If there's no problem using the standard Strike preset kits, it's unlikely to be hardware temperature related. Apparently Alesis have replaced modules for other hardware issues (like low sound output) so maybe consider the warranty option.

A major concern I have with the Strike module is possible kit loading delays when adding some user samples, and that any changes made to a preset kit have to be saved as a user kit on your SD card. I'd much rather have a reliable DM10 saving kit setting changes to its internal flash memory and have them load instantly.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:33:46 AM by rhysT »