Author Topic: SR18 & live - workaround issue  (Read 1082 times)

SR18 & live - workaround issue
« on: September 06, 2017, 02:58:09 AM »
hi everyone,

just bought the SR18 and am happy with the sounds and possibilities. i want to use it for my acoustic duo and it will work fine. but there's one thing. i hope you can help me.

sometimes while playing live a song we dont have such a strong structure for the lenght of the parts. the verse for example sometimes is 8 bars or 8 bars and 2 or 4 bars without vocals, next day it is just 4 bars. it depends on the feeling you know. so. is it possible somehow to get the SR18 supporting this way of performance? it seems that i can't prepare a song perfect because sometimes we're playing it live bit different different and improvise over the hook a solo and stuff like that. in my understanding is a "song" in the SR18 a collection of different patterns. right? and they're a kinda solid.
so what can we do? working only with patterns? can i use a footswitch to manage & change the song structure live while playing and singing?

thank you folks
stefan  // berlin

Offline Chaser

Re: SR18 & live - workaround issue
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:14:23 PM »
hi everyone,

just bought the SR18 and am happy with the sounds and possibilities. i want to use it for my acoustic duo and it will work fine. but there's one thing. i hope you can help me.

sometimes while playing live a song we dont have such a strong structure for the lenght of the parts. the verse for example sometimes is 8 bars or 8 bars and 2 or 4 bars without vocals, next day it is just 4 bars. it depends on the feeling you know. so. is it possible somehow to get the SR18 supporting this way of performance? it seems that i can't prepare a song perfect because sometimes we're playing it live bit different different and improvise over the hook a solo and stuff like that. in my understanding is a "song" in the SR18 a collection of different patterns. right? and they're a kinda solid.
so what can we do? working only with patterns? can i use a footswitch to manage & change the song structure live while playing and singing?

thank you folks
stefan  // berlin

The reference manual  shows there is step editing and sub patterns,fills etc doesn't go into much detail for live performance or the foot switch usage.
I don't know if you can change other parameters of  the song "on the fly" with a foot switch other than start/stop and fills.

Check out the the quickstart guide ..see if it's of any help....creating/erasing songs..fills..etc.
Foot switch applications for live performance (pg 14)
http://5a18fcdc5c8aa2617926-54d68a14e2e7c1f76563a2d8c3e9fd82.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/919/documents/sr18_quickstart_guide_revc.pdf

Edit: If you are looking for a foot switch it looks like the SwitchDoctor made a 2 button foot switch specifically for the SR-16/18 .
https://ampfootswitch.com/shop/alesis
The Boss FS-6 also seems to be an excellent foot switch for the SR-18...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdFvccLiriA&list=PLBE39i4AVcu79BQhXl2ALBBj2sPbzCqeu

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:56:49 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 02:27:25 AM »
Thank you Chaser.  8)

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 06:35:23 AM »
Please. One question. Nothing found in the manual.

Now i leaned that i can repeat a pattern when i hold the FILL knob. Good!

But: If we play to a pattern (A) and this is about 8 bars long. Can we switch to the other part (B) before the 8 bars are over? Maybe after 4 or 6 bars?