Author Topic: Prentir Here!  (Read 1521 times)

Offline prentir

Prentir Here!
« on: June 10, 2017, 03:58:02 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to the percussive world. I am starting 50 years too late and I am disabled... all in all I love a challenge.  I'm an Ex-Brit that last sat behind a kit 40 years ago. When I worked lights for a small local UK rock band.  I have always loved drums of all varieties but was always told you can't hold the sticks right and you'll never be a drummer.   Well I am 57 now and I don't care. I am going for it. :D

I don't have a set as yet. I have a set of DW Smart Practice pads and an old Gibralta Hi-Hat stand someone kindly left on the street outside my house.  The Hi-Hat convinced me to look at electronic drums.  I have spent some time looking at the Alesis range and I am coming down on either DM10 X Mesh or going the whole hog and getting the Strike Pro. 

I am keeping an open mind on the new DM10 MKII Pro but I would like to see more details on the module.   If I can't wait I will probably go for the DM10 X Mesh as it seems to be good value atm.

Anyway I have to develop a way to hold the sticks that will annoy the purists out there but what the heck if it does the job then I am good.

Glad to chat, feel free to drop me a note  8)
Alesis Strike Pro, DW 9000 double kick, DW 9399 Heavy Duty Snare Stand, DW 9500 Heavy Duty 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand plus 2 x DW9700 Cymbal stands and a DW 9000 Low boom Ride Cymbal Stand for expansion. Researching Jobeky 18" Crash & 20" Ride.

Online Hellfire

Re: Prentir Here!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 07:51:13 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to the percussive world. I am starting 50 years too late and I am disabled... all in all I love a challenge.  I'm an Ex-Brit that last sat behind a kit 40 years ago. When I worked lights for a small local UK rock band.  I have always loved drums of all varieties but was always told you can't hold the sticks right and you'll never be a drummer.   Well I am 57 now and I don't care. I am going for it. :D

I don't have a set as yet. I have a set of DW Smart Practice pads and an old Gibralta Hi-Hat stand someone kindly left on the street outside my house.  The Hi-Hat convinced me to look at electronic drums.  I have spent some time looking at the Alesis range and I am coming down on either DM10 X Mesh or going the whole hog and getting the Strike Pro. 

I am keeping an open mind on the new DM10 MKII Pro but I would like to see more details on the module.   If I can't wait I will probably go for the DM10 X Mesh as it seems to be good value atm.

Anyway I have to develop a way to hold the sticks that will annoy the purists out there but what the heck if it does the job then I am good.

Never too late to start again. Welcome aboard!

Heck, many drummers who aren't disabled don't hold the sticks right. So, I wouldn't worry about that. Anyone who told you that, just tell them to jump off the nearest building. I've found with drumming you do it the best way you know how. Anyway you know yourself better than anyone and I'm sure you will find a way that works for you.

I wonder how many people told Rick Allen of Def Leppard he could never be a drummer (after his accident) because he only has one arm? I think he's doing just fine. Ironically, that's how he got into electronic drums.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Offline prentir

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 08:27:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

Never too late to start again. Welcome aboard!

Heck, many drummers who aren't disabled don't hold the sticks right. So, I wouldn't worry about that. Anyone who told you that, just tell them to jump off the nearest building. I've found with drumming you do it the best way you know how. Anyway you know yourself better than anyone and I'm sure you will find a way that works for you.

I wonder how many people told Rick Allen of Def Leppard he could never be a drummer (after his accident) because he only has one arm? I think he's doing just fine. Ironically, that's how he got into electronic drums.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Thanks Hellfire.  I look forward to participating frequently.

I love your posts.

regards

Alesis Strike Pro, DW 9000 double kick, DW 9399 Heavy Duty Snare Stand, DW 9500 Heavy Duty 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand plus 2 x DW9700 Cymbal stands and a DW 9000 Low boom Ride Cymbal Stand for expansion. Researching Jobeky 18" Crash & 20" Ride.

Offline prentir

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 09:15:55 PM »
Hey there everyone.

I finally did it!  I ordered the Alesis Strike Pro today and it shipped this evening.  Can't wait!

I ordered the bundle from Kraft Music so I am going to have a Drum Throne, Kick Pedal, and Hi-Hat stand surplus to requirement as I have them already.  So rock on ebay. :)

Offline Pier

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »
Hello, welcome to THE forum -- it's really great tot have you here
You've made the right decision about start your drumming now, and you're an example about a thing that one should never forget: have fun when drumming!!!
Forget the purists, the perfect techniques and the likes; God save the drummers who play having fun!  ;D

Looking forward to hear from you, cheers mate  ;)

Offline prentir

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 12:48:27 PM »
Thanks Pier, I am definitely having fun and learning a whole lot at the same time.  Yesterday I bought Superior Drummer2 so I have that to work on also to connect it to the Strike.  I'd love someone to splash out and buy the Nicko Paiste special edition pack and then create an Edrum wave plug-in for SD2!.