Author Topic: DIY Drum Riser Alternative  (Read 3678 times)

DIY Drum Riser Alternative
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:05:58 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this board, but I wanted to post my solution to the problem a lot of people have had with their electronic kits causing "structural-born vibrations". I did weeks of research to determine the best way to cover my required riser size, without spending an obscene amount of money, or buying one of those Auralex floors.

These websites helped me a lot in determining the best techniques and the best materials for this floor.

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=3807 | http://www.soundproofingschool.com/archives/153/nggallery/thumbnails

I did not have the tools to construct the "tennis-ball riser", nor did I think it would really solve the issues properly. I also required a 5'x5' square FT riser, which fortunately, Mike's website above, showed me the best way to get the space needed with only losing 1sq FT on 2 corners of the riser.

I used the following materials:

-(2x) 6' by 4', 3/4in thick rubber "horse-stall mats".
-(6x) 4' by 2' 3/4in thick MDF boards
-(2x) Box of Cap Barbell 1/2in thick 12" x 12" gym flooring puzzle pieces (each box contains 12 square tiles)
-(1x) 6' by 4' rubber backed, outdoor floor mat (maybe 1/4in thick, just a soft top layer to avoid skidding)
-(5x) 8 Pack of "Sorbothane Anti-Vibration Pads" (each disc is 1/4in thick, with a 2.25in diameter)
-(2x) 28oz tubes of Green Glue "Compound" (not the "Sealant")
-box of MDF screws, 1-1/2in length

Tools:
Exacto-Knife
Powerdrill
Caulk gun
Gloves
Paint or spackle spreader
Scissors

So first step was to have two of the MDF boards cut in half length ways, leaving you with 4 total 1' by 4' pieces. Next was to cut a 1' by 4' strip off of each rubber horse-stall mat. That will give you a double stack of one 4' by 5' base level, with an added 1' by 4' side strip to fit the drum throne.

Once you have the base level of stacked rubber horse mats, you need to layer the MDF boards across each other making one large 4' by 5', double stack, and one smaller 1' by 4' double stacked piece to mirror the rubber bases. How you do this is fairly simple, just place two of the 2' by 4' pieces facing one direction, adding one of the smaller 1' by 4' pieces at the end, giving you one layer. Lay the remaining larger MDF pieces across them the opposite way, filling in the remaining open section opposite the smaller bottom layer with one 1' by 4' MDF piece, creating the main section of the riser. Stack the two remaining 1' by 4' pieces together for the side stack.

Now before you do the 2nd layer of MDF, you will want to cover the entire base MDF layer in an even coating of the Green Glue "Compound". This is designed specifically to remove low frequency vibrations, and does a good amount of the work in getting rid of the kick pedal issues. Once you have it spread out cleanly and evenly, you will sandwich the MDF layers together. (Do this quickly because the Green Glue will set within 15 minutes) Once you have your main section and side sections together, you will want to use 1-1/2in long, MDF screws every 6-12 inches or so, in key points to screw the MDF layers together. Once everything settles and feels dry enough, you can move onto putting this (now very heavy, you will most likely need another person to help) double stacked layer on top of the rubber horse-stall mats.

Before you do so, this is the time you want to mark out and place down the "Sorbothane" discs. These add another thin layer of isolation, and work very well to further reduce vibrations. They will also have a silicone like stickiness to them, which makes them easy to apply and not slide around. I used a total of 30 of the 2.25in discs in an even square pattern (6 down the 5ft side, 5 down 4ft side = 30 discs) on the main platform, with another 8 spread evenly in a diagonal pattern on the smaller 1' by 4' section. Once these are in place, they should cover enough area to not leave any issues with weight distribution, and the platform should be very solid, but have enough give to channel vibrations properly.

You may then layer the MDF sandwiches on top, careful not to move any of the discs, and line everything up properly. Once the MDF is on top, cover the boards with the 24 SQft of Gym Mats, and then lay the large rubber/carpet mat on top. I cut mine the same way I cut the horse mat to fit, but it is up to you.

This seems to remove all of the issues I was having with the kick pedal, and while it seems like a little bit of work, and may be expensive for the need, I feel this is the best solution given my situation. Home Depot cut the MDF, and I used a small Razor knife to cut the rubber mats. Hardest part was carrying those 50lb mats up 2 flights of steps.

All said and done, I spent about $400 for a very solid solution. While the Auralex options were available for similar cost, the issues with stability and inferior results convinced me to go this route. I also have a large enough platform that does not move or sway at all. You may have great results with less materials, but I felt the combination was what worked for me.

Let me know what you think.

Offline Khes74

Re: DIY Drum Riser Alternative
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 11:35:42 PM »
Heard of Peacemaker by Audimute? Sandwich two or more sheets of those between some ply wood, cover everything in carpet (except the bottom) and that should suit you fine. Not sure what it would cost but it seems like it would be simpler and much cleaner looking than a tennis ball riser or your method.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 08:35:54 PM »
I attached some images of the finished product. It looks very clean, and works better than the tennis ball riser will. Problem with using acoustical foam is that it usually does not have enough density to eliminate the structural borne vibrations. You usually need multiple layers, and in my case, this is what worked best. It's a very heavy, dense layering of heavy rubber, Sorbothane (vibration isolation material), MDF with Green Glue Compound (vibration isolation caulking), soft foam rubber gym mats, and a rubber backed rug (anti-skid).

The total weight of 200lbs is the most effective part. The Sorbothane discs act the same way the tennis balls do, but support up to 300lbs, and the Green Glue as it cures, becomes more effective. All together this cost about $400, but it is a solid floor to stand on and provides much better vibration reduction than any foam could.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 02:12:42 PM »
Hope no one minds the post to another drum forum, but I was recently researching this and found this thread over on drumchat.
http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/drum-riser-cheap-25198.html?p=475642#post475642

Simple overview: He uses 5 gal home depot buckets, 1/2" OSB\Plywood sheets(carpet glued to it), bucket lids are screwed to the bottom of the OSB\Plywood and the buckets go on the lids which snap in place once turned over and weight is put on it. Plack skirt to go around the bottom. Uses a lockable hasp to keep the sections from coming apart.

Here it is in use:

Full instructions are on post #25 on the page.
http://www.drumchat.com/showpost.php?p=475642&postcount=25

Someone in that thread didn't want it as tall and used 3.5 Gal buckets instead.

If someone wants it even shorter, they can use bed risers

I am building one of these. Cost would be about $120 (i have most of the screws and washers)

• 3.5 gal. Black Pail (10-Pack)$31

Black Reusable Easy Off Lid for 5-Gal. Pail (Pack of 10) $15 

OSB 23/32 4x8 $17

64 #8 x ¾” Pan Head screws Box of 100 $7

64 1/8” x 1” Fender washers (25x3 pack)$9

1# 1 5/8” Drywall screws ( I have)

2 Quarts of Indoor/Outdoor carpet adhesive ($6 per qt) x 2 $12

Carpet (I have)

2 lockable hasps (black) $14

Total $105
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 02:14:36 PM by Th3R00st3r »
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 03:58:55 PM »
Hope no one minds the post to another drum forum, but I was recently researching this and found this thread over on drumchat.
http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/drum-riser-cheap-25198.html?p=475642#post475642

Not at all as long as the original Topic/Posts are linked and you did just that. Thanks for sharing.