Author Topic: D.I.Y. Tablet stand  (Read 1922 times)

D.I.Y. Tablet stand
« on: June 12, 2018, 03:57:43 AM »
First post at this forum, Hello! My name is Tom, I am celebrating my 70th birthday by buying myself an Alesis Command kit. My grandfather was a jazz drummer in Chicago during Prohibition and my parents wanted me to be a drummer so they started me out on drum lessons at a very early age, I don't even remember when, probably when I was 6 or 7. In 1959 when I was 11 we moved from Chicago to Ventura County California just as the surfing fad started to hit. I talked them into buying me a cheap drum set (Gretch, Slingerland and Ludwig for only $129) and I spent the 60s in garage bands and marching in the school band. Then the Beatles hit and I switched to guitar, keyboards and bass. I spent my career as an electrician since I was not good enough to be a professional. Then I retired early and spent 10 years touring the country in a van living in the National Parks. My RV died in Orlando five years ago so I took it as a sign to stay here and I love it. Last year I switched from a small class A to a larger fifth wheel RV with three slides. Suddenly I have enough room for a drum set so I decided since I started out on the drums I would finish on the drums.

I set the Commander set up no problem and I wanted to add a computer. Most people I noticed, have a small table or stand on one end of the rack. My problem is due to space I cannot put a small table or stand at the end of the rack. So what I did was I bought a tablet stand from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V8C91F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a lazy Susan stand that rotates 360 degrees. I removed the lazy Susan base and drilled a hole in the middle. Then I attached the stand to the top of the upright post on the left end of the rack. I just drilled a small hole in the plastic end cap and screwed it down. Not all the way tight, it needs to be able to be turned. Since my Casio MK500 synth is located right next to the drums, I wanted the table to be able to move so it was viewable while sitting at either the drums or the keyboard.

Offline Hellfire

Re: D.I.Y. Tablet stand
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 08:44:29 AM »
First post at this forum, Hello! My name is Tom, I am celebrating my 70th birthday by buying myself an Alesis Command kit. My grandfather was a jazz drummer in Chicago during Prohibition and my parents wanted me to be a drummer so they started me out on drum lessons at a very early age, I don't even remember when, probably when I was 6 or 7. In 1959 when I was 11 we moved from Chicago to Ventura County California just as the surfing fad started to hit. I talked them into buying me a cheap drum set (Gretch, Slingerland and Ludwig for only $129) and I spent the 60s in garage bands and marching in the school band. Then the Beatles hit and I switched to guitar, keyboards and bass. I spent my career as an electrician since I was not good enough to be a professional. Then I retired early and spent 10 years touring the country in a van living in the National Parks. My RV died in Orlando five years ago so I took it as a sign to stay here and I love it. Last year I switched from a small class A to a larger fifth wheel RV with three slides. Suddenly I have enough room for a drum set so I decided since I started out on the drums I would finish on the drums.

I set the Commander set up no problem and I wanted to add a computer. Most people I noticed, have a small table or stand on one end of the rack. My problem is due to space I cannot put a small table or stand at the end of the rack. So what I did was I bought a tablet stand from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V8C91F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a lazy Susan stand that rotates 360 degrees. I removed the lazy Susan base and drilled a hole in the middle. Then I attached the stand to the top of the upright post on the left end of the rack. I just drilled a small hole in the plastic end cap and screwed it down. Not all the way tight, it needs to be able to be turned. Since my Casio MK500 synth is located right next to the drums, I wanted the table to be able to move so it was viewable while sitting at either the drums or the keyboard.

Welcome to the forum Tom!

That is a great idea. Thanks for sharing. It's really cool to see how someone in an RV life style is able to incorporate edrums into their home.

Again, welcome to the forum!

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 09:41:06 PM »
Thank you Hellfire. I do live in an RV but I am no longer living the RV lifestyle. I full timed it for ten years visiting all 48 states and all 46 National Parks in a class A. But it died in central Florida so I decided to put down roots here. I bought a fifth wheel and it is basically parked permanently. I cannot tow it with my Hyundai Veloster so I am stuck here and loving it. The entire time I was full timing it I basically had to give up being a musician and now that I am settled down I am able to pursue my fantasies. Have a nice day HF.

Offline orion32

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 11:42:55 AM »
Thank you for this post.  I just started drumming and have an awkward setup for my iPad but this will solve that problem.  Thank you
Alesis Strike Pro
A to E converted Zildjian L80 - 14" crash, 16" crash & china