Author Topic: DM10 Pad and Module Issues  (Read 1508 times)

DM10 Pad and Module Issues
« on: April 16, 2018, 06:28:06 PM »
I just purchased a second hand DM10 and after tinkering with it today the snare pad occasionally misses a beat when I strike the centre of the pad which seemed fine yesterday.
I notice the module also doesn't memorise the previous kit I was playing and always powers on to kit 000. Is that normal?

I have done a factory re-set which didn't work and I have just loaded the latest Firmware to the model which also hasn't worked. Any ideas?

Re: DM10 Pad and Module Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 04:01:40 PM »
Well there goes any form of playing tonight.

I have just turned the kit on and every pad is completely ruined. Misses beats, nothing is working properly and still it wont memories any drum kit number after powering off and back on.

*The centre of the snare pad is pretty much useless so I have to strike the outer 2" rim and I hear a rim shot in the background
*When I hit Tom 1 I hear Tom 2's rim in the background
*When I hit Tom 3 and 4 I hear a symbol in the background (perc 3)

Any ideas what I can do to get the stupid thing working properly?

Online AlanK

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 04:12:43 PM »
silly question, but... have you read the manual?

have you got the module unlocked so you can save kits? otherwise it'll reset to factory settings each time you power off and on again
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 04:52:38 PM »
Yes I have and it doesn't make any difference if the wright protection is on or off it will keep returning back to factory settings and booting up to drum kit 000

Offline Dobly

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 05:48:20 PM »
It always starts on kit 000 by default. There is a simple hack for it so you can make it start on a different kit. Say kit 100. But from them on it would always start at kit 100.

It does not remember which kit you were playing.

I am not fussed by this. The wheel is so fast it only takes seconds to get to the kit I want.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 06:59:33 PM »
Yes I have and it doesn't make any difference if the wright protection is on or off it will keep returning back to factory settings and booting up to drum kit 000
So, are you editing kits, then saving the kits, then rebooting and the kits are no longer edited? Is that what you are saying?

As for the pad having a dead spot every so often that could be a cable, or it could be a problem in the pad. Inside they are very simple devices. Perhaps the kit got a pounding before you got it and the foam and rubber inside it is warn down. Whip the head off and have a look. If you can add photos of what is inside.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 07:30:41 PM »
Yes I edit, save then re-boot to make sure its saved but it keeps restoring to the default kit.

I have taken the head off the snare and all looks good, it seemed to work a little better with just the plastic removed and hitting the foam on the piezo trigger but after plugging one of the Tom's to the Snare cable it has confirmed the Snare has the issue so probably a new piezo required.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »
Yes I edit, save then re-boot to make sure its saved but it keeps restoring to the default kit.

I take this to mean you are editing the default kit right? Or are you talking about 2 issues?

1. It starts on the default kit 000 when I turn it on
2. No matter what kit i edit, the edit is lost when I reboot the module.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 09:49:09 PM »
Sorry for the confusion.
I have finally managed to work out how to edit and save new kits. The instructions I saw online were obviously not correct.

Any idea how I reduce the sensitivity of a pad? I keep getting a cow bell tinging from Tom 2's rim.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 11:35:46 PM »
Sorry for the confusion.
I have finally managed to work out how to edit and save new kits. The instructions I saw online were obviously not correct.

Any idea how I reduce the sensitivity of a pad? I keep getting a cow bell tinging from Tom 2's rim.

Tom 2 might have a cowbell sound assigned to it.

Press the INST button
Then press the Note Chase button
Then Tap the rim on Tom 2.

What instrument is assigned to it? Cowbell I bet.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:38:14 PM by Dobly »

Online AlanK

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 08:49:36 AM »
I agree with Dobly, all this is covered in a lot of detail in the manual. Takes some fussing around but its there. And once you choose or create a kit that you want as your default, save it over Kit 000 and then it will be the one you get to start with each time.

Pads not triggering or cutting out quickly can be a mechanical thing (loose or broken wire, foam cone or cylinder fallen over) or it could be software (too high threshold, too low sensitivity, xtalk, mute groups and priority.. you could have a cymbal or the kick drum with high priority (sorry, forget if that's the exact term) but could be something is overpowering the pad you're finding cuts out or doesn't trigger)).

We usually test the theories by swapping cables, changing which input the problem pad/cymbal is in to see if it happens with other inputs or voices. Got to eliminate a few variables to find out where the problem is (of course, taking the head off and checking for broken wires etc is a pretty quick way to at least eliminate physical damage as the culprit).
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 05:49:08 PM »
Thanks for the help guys  :D
I will take a good look through the instructions.

I have already swapped pads and cables around and it confirms the snare pad is faulty so I took it apart and everything looks good and secure. I have order some pre wired piezo transducers so will replace the one in the faulty pad which will hopefully do the job.