Author Topic: Strike VS Strike Pro  (Read 1172 times)

Strike VS Strike Pro
« on: March 15, 2018, 10:49:38 AM »
Looking at the Strike VS the Strike Pro it seams the Pro gives you 2 extra crash cymbals and an extra tom.  Does that seem worth the extra 700 bucks?  I'm thinking of just getting a Strike and then add 1 extra crash to the kit.

What do you think?

Offline Iggford

Re: Strike VS Strike Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:08:00 AM »
Well, to me, it would seem to depend on whether it's your first e-kit.  By that, I mean, if you have an existing kit that you can steal pads from, it may not make as much of a difference, and may be well worth getting the Strike alone.

For me, I was used to having four toms and four cymbals (not counting the hi-hat or ride).  Plus, I wanted a full kit to leave at my band's practice space AND one to keep at home.  So it was more logical for me to go with the Strike Pro.  Now, I can transport the module between my DM10 at the practice area and my Strike at home.  I also will pack the Strike up from home to take to gigs.  But this also lets me do any tweaking between practices, as we typically only have one of those per week. 

I also have a preference that the main parts of my kit match, so I didn't want to just add one of my DM10 pads to the Strike.  That may also not really play a part in your decision.  I just tend to be a little OCD when it comes to stuff like that.

There is a functionality issue that I ran into, however.  Depending on the cymbal you are transporting over, you may experience some issues.  If it's an Alesis crash, I think it would work just fine.  I have a couple of Roland crashes that would not trigger on my Strike module.  The strange thing is that I have a Roland hi-hat that I use as a splash.  No problem with that one at all.  The Alesis hi-hat from my DM10 kit works as a hi-hat, but not as a crash.  There may be ways around these issues, as I was rushing through setup at practice last week and didn't have time to do a bunch of testing.  But the issue is there, just thought you might want to be aware of that beforehand.

I hope this helps shed some light and helps your decision!

--
Shawn

Offline Purpledc

Re: Strike VS Strike Pro
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:15:03 PM »
I got lucky.  I had a nitro kit that I could rob 2 cymbals from.  And then I found a 14" strike tom on ebay used and got it for $100 to my door.  But that is EXTREMELY lucky.  Normally that drum would go for double even used.     Now remember its not just 2 cymbals and a tom.   You get a bunch of other rack pieces and mounts that need to be utilized to add those cymbals and drum to your kit.   You can get the second drum on there but you will lack the towers and booms for the two other cymbals.  And those pieces even from gibralter will get expensive. 

Again I lucked out and guitar center right now has the simmons chrome cymbal arms on clearance for $14 so I only had to buy the rack clamps.  But even at $10 for the actual clamps for the strike and the huge deal I got on the arms I had to invest $40 just to mount the cymbals I actually had.  You also get 3 36"  curved rack tubes that mean you have a lot more mounting options.   Like where will the module go if you fill the space up with new cymbal mounts but have the older short rack tubes?   In that department I bought a rack tube from gibralter and cut slots into the ends for the twist lock clamps and that solved the issue for me.  Now I run 3 toms high and one low.   

Im telling you though man I got so lucky I still laugh at how lucky I was.  I should have bought a lottery ticket that day.   If you dont mind things not matching its entirely possible to get the functionality of a strike pro for considerably less.