Author Topic: GoEdrum Hi Hat Controller + Alesis Crimson  (Read 4783 times)

GoEdrum Hi Hat Controller + Alesis Crimson
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:06:55 AM »
Hey all, I have a Crimson kit/module and decided that I wanted to give the GoEdrum hi hat controller a shot. I've seen that it works on a DM10 but didn't see anything confirming that it works for the Crimson. For $50 it was cheap enough to give it a go.
I got it set up and all plugged in and when triggering through EZD2 I have full range of the hat between open and closed. I was very pleased with this.

Here's the problem, there is no chick or splash. Or rather, I can do ONE chick and ONE splash and then nothing. Happens both using the modules internal sounds or EZD2.
Ex: Turn the module on, close the pedal and I get one chick. Then nothing, silence even though I'm moving it up and down. If I unplug/plug the controller back in, I get another chick out of it but then silence again. It's very head scratching to me. It's my first e-kit, have had it for about 5 months, not entirely sure where to start.
The fact that I can get one chick out of it leads me to believe it will work, I just need to alter something in the module. There just doesn't seem to be many hat settings in the module. I doubt I have a faulty controller.

Any help is much appreciated, even if it's just brainstorming haha.

Sent an email to GoEdrum but no response yet. I don't want to but I may have to return it and get the pro-x, even with the bad reviews  :(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:09:13 AM by tmk21315 »
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

Re: GoEdrum Hi Hat Controller + Alesis Crimson
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 12:16:05 PM »
Perhaps the issue is related to the original cable, much like in this Pro-X thread ...

http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6711.0
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:30:43 PM by tmk21315 »
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 08:21:52 AM »
Did you solve the issue?  I've also ordered the GoEdrum controller for the Crimson.  Desperate to get a decent hi hat on a stand!  I am currently resorting to an acoustic hi hat with the crimson kit; not ideal for quiet practice...

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:36:47 PM »
Unfortunately I haven't. I asked GoEdrum if I could return it and they just gave me a full refund AND let me keep it. Good on them, didn't even ask.
I had found a review that was either on Amazon or eBay that sounded like the solution to my problems. Something about soldering in a resistor.
Now I can't find that specific review anywhere. I'll try to keep looking.
I was into cars for a short while, I ended up being in the driveway under the car doing some mod more than driving it.
Point is, I didn't want to tinker and try to get it to work. I just want to play drums.

I ended up buying a pro-x. I actually haven't found any issue with it. I like it a lot with both the module or through EZD.
I think some of that might be that I've only been playing drums since December. I never had anything to compare to.

I plan on an acoustic kit when the wife and I move and have more space. Will keep the Crimson for sure, though.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 06:18:21 AM »
If you have a spare TRS cable lying around, chop it, plug it in to your existing pedal-based HH controller, and fire up the oscilloscope. Observe. Plug in the Goedrum controller and do the same. IIRC it's a 220k resistor. 90% sure you're seeing the module protecting itself from users plugging the wrong thing in to the wrong jack. Hence the "it works once and then stops working" behavior.