Author Topic: Alesis DM10 Studio Mark II --I WANT THIS  (Read 8959 times)

Offline DannyM

Alesis DM10 Studio Mark II --I WANT THIS
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:44:50 PM »
Sweetwater is showing a new Alesis Kit, Alesis DM10 Studio Mark II. Looks like everything you want for less than $1000

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DM10StudioMKII

Offline rhysT

Re: Alesis DM10 Studio Mark II --I WANT THIS
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »
Sweetwater is showing a new Alesis Kit, Alesis DM10 Studio Mark II. Looks like everything you want for less than $1000

Nice try Alesis but this just looks like an attempt to morph a Command Kit (Mk II) into a Crimson kit.

Let's keep it real by considering the Strike module is more similar to a DM10 Mark II brain.

Btw, the latest update of my enhanced DM10-X2 kits is available to download and there's more info about them in this topic: http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6582.msg47412#msg47412
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:16:54 PM by rhysT »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 05:16:11 PM »

Thanks for sharing but, for the record that is not a DM10. What Alesis is doing is going to confusion a lot of edrummers. Now when people say "I have a DM10" we will now have to ask "Which one?". That DM10 MKII is a medeli rebrand that is used on the Crimson, Command, and Forge kits. I'm not sure what Alesis strategy is, but having four modules that are all the same and calling them something different doesn't seem right to me.

Which one is Which?:
(must be logged in to see images)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:52:59 PM by Hellfire »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 10:46:53 PM »
And if some are wondering if that pic in the above is true, yes it is. That is a picture of each the DM10 MKII, Crimson, Command, and Forge modules side by side. Tell me, what is the difference besides the name on these modules. I've never used these so I curious if anyone has any real experience with these modules and if there are truly any differences.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:11:34 AM »
What Alesis is doing is going to confuse a lot of edrummers. Now when people say "I have a DM10" we will now have to ask "Which one?". That DM10 MKII is a medeli rebrand that is used on the Crimson, Command, and Forge kits. I'm not sure what Alesis strategy is, but having four modules that are all the same and calling them something different doesn't seem right to me.

Which one is Which?:
(must be logged in to see images)

FWIW, Sweetwater apparently don't have the Crimson kit listed with the other Alesis kits, so maybe the DM10 Mark II kit is intended as a replacement to possibly differentiate the Strike module more from a new psuedo-DM10 Mk II module (if that makes any sense).
No doubt Alesis retailers could claim that repackaged DM10 kits include Crimson improvements and many new users may be no wiser that the superseded Mark I version has (or had) some more useful functions.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:57:15 PM by rhysT »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
FWIW, Sweetwater apparently don't have the Crimson kit listed with the other Alesis kits, so maybe the DM10 Mark II kit is intended as a replacement to possibly differentiate the Strike module more from a 'new' modified DM10 Mk II module (if that makes any sense).
No doubt Alesis retailers could claim that repackaged DM10 kits include Crimson improvements and many new users may be no wiser that the Mark I version has (or had) some more useful functions.

Actually what I think is happening is Alesis is trying to "customize" some kits for different retailers.

If you look at GuitarCenter.com/Musiciansfriend.com (together because they are one in the same company for those that don't know). They have an Alesis Command X 9-Piece Electronic Drum Kit

The Alesis website makes no mention of this "Command X" kit nor does the Alesis website make mention of a "DM10 MKII" kit. I believe this is a way for Alesis to let retailers have exclusives without actually making truly different kits.

My biggest problem with calling this a DM10 is the two modules are not remotely similar. It's like the difference between a MAC and a PC. These modules are built on two totally different hardware platforms. The original DM10 is a true Alesis design. The new DM10 MKII is just a rebranded Medeli module that is used for several other drum kits. Sure, it's great the Sweetwater has an exclusive Alesis kit that no else has, but how many of these new users are going to find alesisDrummer.com and get confused when they can't get their DM10 to do what we say our DM10 does?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 11:17:55 AM »
FWIW, Sweetwater apparently don't have the Crimson kit listed with the other Alesis kits, so maybe the DM10 Mark II kit is intended as a replacement to possibly differentiate the Strike module more from a 'new' modified DM10 Mk II module (if that makes any sense).
No doubt Alesis retailers could claim that repackaged DM10 kits include Crimson improvements and many new users may be no wiser that the Mark I version has (or had) some more useful functions.

Actually what I think is happening is Alesis is trying to "customize" some kits for different retailers.

If you look at GuitarCenter.com/Musiciansfriend.com (together because they are one in the same company for those that don't know). They have an Alesis Command X 9-Piece Electronic Drum Kit

The Alesis website makes no mention of this "Command X" kit nor does the Alesis website make mention of a "DM10 MKII" kit. I believe this is a way for Alesis to let retailers have exclusives without actually making truly different kits.

My biggest problem with calling this a DM10 is the two modules are not remotely similar. It's like the difference between a MAC and a PC. These modules are built on two totally different hardware platforms. The original DM10 is a true Alesis design. The new DM10 MKII is just a rebranded Medeli module that is used for several other drum kits. Sure, it's great the Sweetwater has an exclusive Alesis kit that no else has, but how many of these new users are going to find alesisDrummer.com and get confused when they can't get their DM10 to do what we say our DM10 does?

The Alesis website is a mess.I don't understand why Alesis has made it difficult for potential customers.
I haven't seen anything on the DM10 MKII..but I did run across the info for the Command X (9 piece) awhile back...why it is not listed under products?..who knows.

http://www.alesis.com/kb/article/2166

Online Hellfire

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 01:39:58 PM »
The Alesis website is a mess.I don't understand why Alesis has made it difficult for potential customers.
I haven't seen anything on the DM10 MKII..but I did run across the info for the Command X (9 piece) awhile back...why it is not listed under products?..who knows.

http://www.alesis.com/kb/article/2166

That's just an FAQ which Alesis would still need even if they are making "exclusive" kits for retailers. That way a retailer can give a link to more info for the kit they are selling from the "source" (which is Alesis).

It's not in the Alesis Product catalog, because it technically isn't an across the board product from Alesis.

The idea of retail exclusives isn't new. For those that are old enough to remember, Sears, Radio Shack, and Montgomery Ward (old store like Sears) use to have their names put on brand name equipment. I have two Radio Shack microphones that say "Realistic" which is a Radio Shack brand, but when you open the microphone up, you clearly see a "Shure" logo stamped on the microphone element.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
And if some are wondering if that pic in the above is true, yes it is. That is a picture of each the DM10 MKII, Crimson, Command, and Forge modules side by side. Tell me, what is the difference besides the name on these modules. I've never used these so I curious if anyone has any real experience with these modules and if there are truly any differences.

According to a response on the Alesis forum on Forge upgrades.. the firmware for each module is different.

This from Alesis support:

Thank you for reaching out to us. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you!
We do not provide internal schematics for our products to the public but you are correct in thinking that these units module are differed by the firmware that is loaded into them during manufacturing. Not all modules will respond the exact same to each of the kits you have mentioned.

This setup is not officially supported, but it may work, as the cable snake for each model is the same but due to the firmware loaded into the module for the Forge kit, there may be difficulties with this deck being able to read a dual zone Tom pad.

The firmware within the command kit is designed so that this module can read both mesh and rubber pads, where the firmware for the forge kit does not have this feature.

http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/can-you-clearly-explain-the-differences-in-the-control-module-for-forge-command-crimson

Online Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 06:09:06 PM »
According to a response on the Alesis forum on Forge upgrades.. the firmware for each module is different.

This from Alesis support:

Thank you for reaching out to us. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you!
We do not provide internal schematics for our products to the public but you are correct in thinking that these units module are differed by the firmware that is loaded into them during manufacturing. Not all modules will respond the exact same to each of the kits you have mentioned.

This setup is not officially supported, but it may work, as the cable snake for each model is the same but due to the firmware loaded into the module for the Forge kit, there may be difficulties with this deck being able to read a dual zone Tom pad.

The firmware within the command kit is designed so that this module can read both mesh and rubber pads, where the firmware for the forge kit does not have this feature.

http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/can-you-clearly-explain-the-differences-in-the-control-module-for-forge-command-crimson

It's even worse than I thought. So basically these module have "firmware" (i.e. trigger settings) for the kits they come with. So now triggers settings is "firmware"? That's funny. Alesis has dumbed down these things so much. I noticed they didn't state anything about the sound engine and I would bet it's because they (meaning the four different modules) have the exact same sound engine.  :o ::)

Well, maybe a Forge module can use the Crimson/DM10 MKII firmware to "upgrade" the module for those that wish to do a little DIY.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 09:27:21 AM »

(I've updated this message to make it more accurate after release of the new DM10 Mark II kit user guide.)
http://5a18fcdc5c8aa2617926-54d68a14e2e7c1f76563a2d8c3e9fd82.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/1765/documents/DM10MKIIStudioModule-UserGuide-v1.1.pdf

A comparison of features in the original DM10 'Mark I' module with the new Mark II kit shows it includes WAV sample import capability and being able to play/record with songs. However it doesn't allow as much control of kit and instrument parameters available in the original DM10. Maybe the psuedo-DM10 Mk II kit with mesh pads could be reasonable value with the extra features in Crimson/Command/Forge modules as listed.

There's some more info about Mark II kit features in the similar Medeli DD650 module's manual: http://www.mecldata.com/download/manual/AW_DD650_manual_G04_150923.pdf

Here are listed Alesis kit features from their online product guides (plus extra relevant info):

DM10 Studio mesh kit:
- Tightly woven black mesh drum heads enhance feel and playing response
- Six-piece kit with four 8" dual-zone toms and a 10" dual-zone snare
- Four-piece cymbal set with a 12” hi-hat, two 12” crashes, and 14” triple-zone ride
- Compact four-post StageRack with integrated boom cymbal arms
- Includes DM10 sound module with 200 kits (100 preset + 100 user) and 12 trigger inputs plus mixer
- Over 1,000 uncompressed samples featuring Dynamic Articulation™
- Play along and record yourself with the built-in sequencer
- Mix input for practicing with digital music and CD players

DM10 MKII Studio Kit
- Tightly woven black mesh drum heads enhance feel and playing response
- Five-piece pad set with 8/8/10" dual-zone toms,10"dual-zone snare,and 8" kick
- Four-piece cymbal set with a 12” hi-hat, two 12” crashes, and 14” triple-zone ride
- Premium 4-post quick-lock chrome rack with integrated cymbal arms
- Includes DM10 MKII Studio sound module with 74 kits (54 preset + 20 user)
- Download your favorite voices to the drum module (Up to 99 user-loaded samples, 15 MB total)
- Enjoy playing and recording with the songs (120 preset + 5 user songs)
- Mix input for practicing with digital music and CD players

Crimson kit:
- Tightly woven mesh drum heads enhance feel and playing response
- 8” kick, 12” dual-zone snare, two 8” dual-zone rack toms and 10” dual-zone floor tom
- Three-piece cymbal set with 12” hi-hat, 12” crash with choke and 14” three-zone ride
- Crimson drum module with 70 kits (50 factory + 20 user) and 600 sounds
- Load .WAV or .MP3 samples and play-along tracks via USB memory stick
- Real-time recording (5 tracks internally; up to 99 tracks via USB memory stick)
- USB/MIDI output for use with virtual instrument and recording software
- Premium chrome 4-post rack with double-braced snare stand

Command Kit:
- Tightly-woven 10" dual-zone snare pad for superior feel and playing response
- 8" Mesh Kick pad with kick drum pedal included
- (3) Large dual zone rubber tom pads
- Command Advanced Drum Module with 70 kits (50 factory + 20 user) and 600 sounds
- Load .WAV samples and play-along tracks via USB memory stick
- Real-time recording (5 tracks internally; up to 99 tracks via USB memory stick)
- Premium chrome 4-post rack

Forge kit:
- Dynamic, comfortable rubber pads for great feel and natural response
- 11” dual-zone snare and three single-zone toms
- Kick pad tower with bass drum pedal included
- (3) 10” cymbals: ride cymbal, hi-hat, crash w/choke
- Forge Drum Module with 70 kits (50 factory + 20 user) and 600 sounds
- Load .WAV samples and play-along tracks via USB memory stick
- Premium chrome 4-post rack
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:43:20 PM by rhysT »

Offline korakios

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »
The kit now is on Alesis website

http://www.alesis.com/products/view/dm10-mkii-studio-kit

Maybe on future updates the module can be unlocked  :)

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »
A little off topic, but does anyone know if the DM10 mk2 module is the same as the Crimson module?  They look the same, but maybe they are different under the hood.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
A little off topic, but does anyone know if the DM10 mk2 module is the same as the Crimson module?  They look the same, but maybe they are different under the hood.

I hope you don't mind but, I moved your post. This topic was right under the Strike topic. I think it is a little more "on topic" for your comment.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 05:09:46 PM »
I took a leap and bought one.  It arrived Tuesday.   I believe the module is the same as the Crimson/Command/Forge.   The pads feel great.  The module is what you expect for the price point of the Command/Forge.  I like being able to load samples in it.  I may end up selling the module and replacing it with a DM8, DM10, or a Roland TD11, all of which are superior in my opinion even though they don't let you load samples.   I might add that I am spoiled by the Roland TD50 module I use on my main set.

Offline DannyM

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 05:39:58 PM »
I agree, I would much rather have the module of the Real DM10, but for under $1000 you get all mesh heads and the bigger 14" cybmbal with 3 zones. The money you ended up saving converting a rubber pad into mesh like many people do, you could put that towards the module you want or software to run it through a laptop.
 I got the original Command kit from Guitar Center for $699, but wanted the crimson for $999. I went with the Command and used the diffrence in cash to get a real drum amp since I only had $1000 to work with, but if the DM MARK II would have been out at the time, I probably would have done something to come up with them money for it and gotten that instead. I hope it works out for you. Let me know how it evolves as time goes by.
Thanks.

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 07:33:57 PM »

I hope you don't mind but, I moved your post. This topic was right under the Strike topic. I think it is a little more "on topic" for your comment.
Indeed!  Thank you.

Offline prentir

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 07:48:52 PM »
I have to admit to being  mega newbie.... sort of embryonic you could say.  I tried to follow the flow of this discussion. I was looking at the DM10 Studio then the DM10-X...  I like having the bigger mesh toms and really like having 4.  Then the DM10 MKII popped up and my uneducated analysis from what y'all are saying is that it really is not a DM10 at all.  Wuoldn';t it be great if one of you knowledgeable chaps could create a matrix of the various kits and identify the differences.

Would I be right in saying I could not go far wrong than to buy the DM10 X?

Thanks
Alesis Strike Pro, DW 9000 double kick, DW 9399 Heavy Duty Snare Stand, DW 9500 Heavy Duty 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand plus 2 x DW9700 Cymbal stands and a DW 9000 Low boom Ride Cymbal Stand for expansion. Researching Jobeky 18" Crash & 20" Ride.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »
I was looking at the DM10 Studio then the DM10-X...  I like having the bigger mesh toms and really like having 4.  Then the DM10 MKII popped up and my uneducated analysis from what y'all are saying is that it really is not a DM10 at all.  Wouldn'nt it be great if one of you knowledgeable chaps could create a matrix of the various kits and identify the differences.

If you want a new DM10 kit then look for 'Mk-II' in its name, or compare features of the other DM10/X models at: (http://www.alesis.com/products/browse/category/e-drums).

Btw the 'discontinued' DM10-X Mesh kit may be equivalent to a DM10 Mk-II Pro kit with its newer module.
(refer to http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7167.msg49060#msg49060)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:14:53 PM by rhysT »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 10:44:01 PM »
I was looking at the DM10 Studio then the DM10-X...  I like having the bigger mesh toms and really like having 4.  Then the DM10 MKII popped up and my uneducated analysis from what y'all are saying is that it really is not a DM10 at all.  Wouldn'nt it be great if one of you knowledgeable chaps could create a matrix of the various kits and identify the differences.

If you want a new DM10 kit then look for 'Mk-II' in its name, or compare features of the other DM10/X models at: (http://www.alesis.com/products/browse/category/e-drums).

Btw the 'discontinued' DM10-X Mesh kit may be equivalent to a DM10 Mk-II Pro kit with its newer module.

Unfortunately, this too is confusing because there is now two different DM10 MKII modules. One is just DM10 MKII (direct Crimson rebrand) and the newest DM10 MKII Pro.

Your right Prentir it is very confusion and I had a feeling this was going to happen. DM10 kits can best be classified based on the physical look of the module. Yes, I know that sounds insane, but that is the only way to really tell the difference. Here is the evolution of modules named "DM10" (in order of release):

I hope this helps.

Offline prentir

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 11:55:25 PM »

Thanks.

So if I have this. The old DM10 / X module is to be discontinued. The Crimson, Forge and Command have, what appears to be a similar module to the DM10 MKII (Thanks Hellfire) and not the discontinued DM10 and DM10 X (even if simply comparing the kits installed).  The jury is out on the new DM10 X PRO... looks like a new module but does it at least match and hopefully surpass the old DM10 X module?

So the $64,000 question is what is the spec of the DM10 MKII PRO?  I perhaps I missed that somewhere. 

I really want to thank you guys for all this help... I was about to buy the DM10 X but I may go for the DM10 MKII Prov is it pans out.

*** Added later ***  I just checked the DM10 MKII PRO spec and it has 50 installed kits and 30 user defined.  So marginally better than the Crimson, Forge, Command & DM10 MKII (I'm calling FDM10 or Fake DM10) modules, but not in the league of the DM10 X with 100/100.  Keep me honest guys as I am a newbie this is what I read.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:14:32 AM by prentir »
Alesis Strike Pro, DW 9000 double kick, DW 9399 Heavy Duty Snare Stand, DW 9500 Heavy Duty 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand plus 2 x DW9700 Cymbal stands and a DW 9000 Low boom Ride Cymbal Stand for expansion. Researching Jobeky 18" Crash & 20" Ride.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »
*** Added later ***  I just checked the DM10 MKII PRO spec and it has 50 installed kits and 30 user defined.  So marginally better than the Crimson, Forge, Command & DM10 MKII (I'm calling FDM10 or Fake DM10) modules, but not in the league of the DM10 X with 100/100.  Keep me honest guys as I am a newbie this is what I read.

There's a catch. Yes the original DM10 does give you 100/100 kits and it also gives you a ton of editing functions that you wouldn't get with the newer DM10 MKwhatevers. That's all true, but the newer MKII's have better up to date sounds and you can add your own sounds (limited to single shot samples). If you decide to go with one of the MKII's I would go with the MKII Pro kit. That module just looks more robust than that Crimson ripoff. 

Remember youtube can help you here. Go look at some videos of people using the original DM10 and people using the Crimson kits. That should give you a good sound reference to go off of. Then, you might want to see if you can download the manuals for the original DM10 and the Crimson. I think Alesis has these on their website. Look through them to see what they can and can't do.

Then after that you should be fairly informed on what to get. Or more confused.  ;)

Good luck!

Offline Pier

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 12:23:22 PM »
Dunno if I can be of any help, but I'm actually one of the "people using the original DM10" and I have a video online.
So, if you please forgive the low audio and video quality, below you'll find an example of some of DM10's sounds.

Now, I am strongly intentioned to buy a DM10 MKII PRO when it will be available here in Italy, but for now... here it is   ;)

https://youtu.be/ZebZXdwXZ58

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
I stepped away for about a year & so many changes!

Are mesh kits now being sold in the US?!

DM10X kit, DW-3K double pedal, DW-3K tractor throne, 5AN VF sticks, Simmons DA200S, PS4 Gold headset.
Mods:
Remo silentstroke mesh conversion with 1/4" charcoal layer added on top of plates.
Sounds:
Bluejay in Module & EZdrummer 2 on laptop

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2017, 12:39:04 PM »
There seems to be shockingly little info out there about this kit.  I can't find any demo videos or reviews.  Does anyone actually have one?