Author Topic: Mesh Mod, 2x Bass Pads Vastly Different Sensitivity  (Read 1728 times)

Mesh Mod, 2x Bass Pads Vastly Different Sensitivity
« on: November 29, 2017, 02:19:01 PM »
Hi, been lurking in this forum for a while which is how I discovered the 682Drums mesh mod. I installed everything as directed (didn't do any cutting of cables or soldering, only rearranging/removing of foam pads), and everything is working perfectly except for one issue that I'm hoping to get some advice on...

I use 2x bass pads because I wanted to use the same single pedals that I use on my acoustic kit, and I replaced the pads with mesh ones there as well due which lead to very bouncy bass pedals (as in, it's like a buzz roll every time I hit the bass drum). So I used the black circular foam that had been removed previously to sit around the orange cones to support the mesh and lessen the bounceback just a bit while gaining the benefit of less noise from the pads when hitting them. However, even with the same foam in each bass pad, the sensitivity is vastly different where one can be heard perfectly and the other barely registers.  I use a splitter cable so that both pads plug into the same kick input on the module, so of course adjusting the sensitivity of one affects the other negatively.

Is there any recommended way of using the mesh mod on bass pads that is reliable and doesn't lead to such bounceback? Should I just try to plug the 2nd quieter bass pad into a different input and remap/adjust the sensitivity from there? I'd love to hear your suggestions, and appreciate any advice given.

Offline Dobly

Re: Mesh Mod, 2x Bass Pads Vastly Different Sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 04:29:31 AM »
Firstly, play your bass drum like you would play your right hand on a floor tom.. You don't leave the stick against the head.  Don't bury the beater into the head. 'Play' the bass drum.

Next you may want to try my bass drum mod.

http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6785.0

Was well over a year ago and it's still going strong. It's not 'bouncy' at all.