Author Topic: Hello !  (Read 2477 times)

Hello !
« on: March 17, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »
 Hi everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm an obvious NewB to this site which I happened to stumble upon while doing some r&d on my digital drum purchase.
A little background detail on me for those interested:
I have been a musician now for over 30 years...I'm currently 41 yrs of age. I play trumpet, coronet, sax, piano, guitar, drums/percussion, and sing. I love all music but most of all I love metal/rock...whatever it's branded these days. I have been professionally trained as a child, much to my dismay at the time...I'd rather been shooting my BB gun and riding my dirt bike with my friends instead of all those damn lessons! I originally wanted to be a drummer, but the orchestra/band leader at my school told mom and dad that he had enough drummers....he needed a trumpet/coronet player(s)....Ugh!!! I don't want to call myself a musical genious, which I am not, or a "prodigy" (love the band by the way) but my parents are very talented amateur musicians and I seem to have inherited some of their gift. Whatever I hear I can play.
Fast forward a few years...dad always said don't give up your day job! LOL! ( He also said if you want to earn money playing music, play country ) While pursuing my education, I am a Automation/Instrumentation/Electrical Engineer, I was offered a full time job as a jazz guitarist...thought about it...it was a lot of money...but turned it down to complete my degree. After graduation, I played for fun and profit, albeit very little, in several bands eventually touring with a couple and opening up for pro acts along the way and recording several cd's.
I've had a ton of quality Alesis gear over the years and still have some of it in my studio. While touring as a lead guitarist, there was no finer effect unit than the Alesis Quadraverb and while touring as a keyboardist I used a Quadrasynth 'till the keys broke off...I have that thing multisampled and still trigger those samples through my gear! In my studio, I have been using the M1 active reference monitors for years now...amongst four different sets of monitors they are still my main "go to" source for mixing.
Here I sit now, ready to pass the torch on to my two children that have been bitten by the same music bug as me when I was a child. I can only hope it brings to them the same joy and pleasure as I have had in the past and continue to enjoy now.
...now to continue my research on that new Alesis DM10 Studio Kit!...as I said to my wife: "it's for them honey...not me"  ;)
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!

Offline Guinness

Re: Hello !
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 02:00:19 PM »
What an incredible "hello".  Lot's of interesting tid-bits about you.  Very cool, and thanks for sharing.
If you haven't figured it out already, DM10's are in demand, and supply is very limited.  I too wanted a Studio kit, but after waiting for a month, I decided to go with a Pro kit instead.  i'm actually pretty happy with the choice.

Anyways...

Welcome to the forums!

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 02:10:18 PM »
Thanks Guinness!
I've been following yours and everyone elses posts regarding the DM10's for a while...I've been back and forth between Roland/Yamaha/Alesis and so forth. The value and quality of Alesis is a winner for me.
In regards to the limited supply, I too have been contemplating the DM Pro...Those Surge cymbals just look so sweet!!!! I figure I'm away from home now on a project for the worlds largest adult beverage maker....not my favorite which does happen to be Guinness, so by the time I return home and have time to play, the DM 10 Studio may be in stock. Still...I love that chrome rack and those Surge cymbals! Your kit looks awesome in the pic's.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
Thanks Guinness!
I've been following yours and everyone elses posts regarding the DM10's for a while...

Oh... so you're one of the stalker 'guest' people I see cruising around in here.   :D

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 02:17:55 PM »
LOL!

Yeah...I've come out of the closet!

....this new E Drum habit is addictive! ...my wife's gonna kill me!  :D

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:38:26 PM »
Welcome aboard MLV.