Author Topic: DM10 X Questions  (Read 6384 times)

DM10 X Questions
« on: April 14, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »
Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, but it's not exactly easy to search for posts matching "DM10 X" when you have to have at least two consecutive characters. 

I have this arriving next week.  I have not seen the X in person yet, only the Pro.  I am wondering about the drum pad rims.  In the official photos as well as the official performance video, there are no rubber rims.  Are they actually included in the kit, but are optional as far as putting them on the rims?  Does it just come down to using the rubber for quieter play? 

Also, for the lower floor tom.. where exactly is it plugged in to on the module?  There are only 3 specific tom ports.  Are they many presets that actually have the lower tom or does it need to be programmed/assigned? 

I went to GC today to test drive the Pro-kit some more.  It was obviously setup without really going through it because crosstalk was going on.  I couldn't even get the kick to trigger.  Other than that, I am sold on getting a hold of the Surge cymbals to replace the rubber pads on the X. 

Offline Trondster

Re: DM10 X Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:46:49 AM »
The rubber rims are included, are optional for quieter play, break easily and are easily replaced with more durable alternatives.

The extra cymbal and tom in the Studio and X kits are to be plugged in the perc3 and perc4 ports (I think) - there are designated ports where all the kits have mapped proper sounds. You can plug an extra crash and tom in the same ports on the pro kit and get the same sounds.

DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 02:02:56 AM »
And - just search for "Dm10?X" with a question mark - the question mark signifies an optional character. And thus you'll get plenty of hits regarding the Dm10 X kit. :)
(But search from the main forum page - if you just search while reading this post, you'll just get results from the same subforum.. :))
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:04:29 AM by Trondster »
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 03:04:57 AM »
I think I like you.  ;)  Helpful and quick!  Thank you. 

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:28:45 PM »
Ok.. trying to research in advance how to start using something like Addictive Drums.  Should I understand that the USB connector on the DM10 provides the MIDI connection to my PC?  Then from there I need to have software like Protools (is there a great inexpensive option? I'm not thinking recording so much as the ability to expand my soundsets for playing.)  Then Addictive Drums is loaded into Pro Tools.  Sound is output from my soundcard (Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion) to whatever speakers/amp. 

Do I have it right so far? 

Offline Trondster

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »
Yes. And install ASIO4ALL as your ASIO driver, to reduce latency.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »
Yes. And install ASIO4ALL as your ASIO driver, to reduce latency.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.  The latency of the X-Fi Titanium is supposed to be very good, though.   

So what software should I be looking at?  Protools?  Logic Pro? 

Offline Trondster

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
Have a look in the VST section of the forum - you have many choices. Reaper is often recommended as a cheap and good alternative.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 06:42:39 PM »
And install ASIO4ALL as your ASIO driver, to reduce latency.

ASIO4ALL isn't intended to "reduce latency" and in most cases it wouldn't. It could help if the manufacturers' driver is bad or doesn't meet Steinbergs ASIO specifications, but today almost every ASIO driver should offer the lowest buffer settings that are possible on a given system.

Look at the authors website, the latest official version is two years old now and the last beta deals with everything but latency issues.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 10:11:46 PM »
So which Remo heads would I order that are the same as what's pre-installed?  Ebony Ambassador heads? 

Offline Trondster

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 12:37:13 AM »
If you want heads made by Remo, I suggest Roland mesh heads - made by Remo.
Have a look at the threads in the DIY section detailing mesh head conversion - pads converted to mesh are superior to the stock head configuration.

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 01:08:38 AM »
If you want heads made by Remo, I suggest Roland mesh heads - made by Remo.
Have a look at the threads in the DIY section detailing mesh head conversion - pads converted to mesh are superior to the stock head configuration.

I am more than aware of all of that.  I was hung up on Roland for a long time because all mesh was a requirement along with bigger pads....costs were rising to match requirements.  To be honest... sound isn't an issue.  I'm find with the mylar heads for a while.  New heads are cheap.  Heads get f**ked up from playing.  I'll prob want to freshen them up.  I'll decide if I have an issue with the feel later, then maybe consider mesh. 

I know you are all about your new snare on the way.. you got mesh on the brain. ;)

Offline Trondster

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 01:16:04 AM »
I prefer the term "meshed up in the head". :))

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »
Ok, I'm looking to get started on ordering the Surge replacements for my X kit.  Am I to understand that there is one chokable Crash and one non-chokable Crash (due to DM10 port limitation?)  Or is it that it comes with those two cymbals, but you can have two chokable Crashes on the DM10?  I want to get my Hi-Hat and at least one other cymbal ordered.  If I'm limited by the DM10, then I would just order the cheaper non-chokable Crash for now. 

Offline Trondster

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »
Out of the box you can have one chokable ride and one chokable crash on the Dm10 module.

The Pro kit comes with a 12" hihat, a 13" chokeable crash and a 16" three-zone chokeable ride. If you want them all, you can get them a tiny bit cheaper as a set. There is also a cheaper 13" surge crash without choke and a 16" surge ride without choke.

The X kit already comes with two crashes, a ride and a hihat.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:02:16 PM by Trondster »

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »
So... one chokable crash and one non-chokable crash with the X.

What would I need to add to the DM10 to have two chokable crashes (besides the obvious.... we are talking modules... not the cymbals, which I am perfectly clear on.)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 08:08:23 PM »
So... one chokable crash and one non-chokable crash with the X.

What would I need to add to the DM10 to have two chokable crashes (besides the obvious.... we are talking modules... not the cymbals, which I am perfectly clear on.)
Have a look here:

More Chokable Cymbals, DM10 & Trigger I/O

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 01:26:37 AM »
Thanks, Hellfire.  That helped me decide to go ahead and stick with what will work with the DM10 for now.  I need to concentrate on drumming before I start accessorizing. 

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 06:37:03 AM »
Got home from work and got down to unpacking the newly arrived big box.  Wow! Those assembley directions suck!  It took a bit longer to do because I was hesitant the whole time.  I'm still not fully sure I have the quick release clamp on totally right, those pictures don't help.  The quick release clamp knob is directly below the pads.  The knob for release the pad arm from the clamp is in back at the bottom. 

Actually, the one thing I'm not sure about is the DM10 Module mount.  I got the plastic mount and four screws.  The screws stop before fully fastening the module to it.  So it jiggles a bit.  Am I missing something?  Washers perhaps? 

Other than all that... I am loving the rack!  The design seems to be quality.  Definitely worth passing on the Pro for to spend the little extra.  The size of the kit is just...... whoa!   

I cannot wait to play!  Have to wait for morning.  I did test the sensitivity though (it's the grey module.)  I did the patch update to 1.03 first thing. 

Offline Trondster

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 07:10:48 AM »
I think it's better to mount washers on the screws or use shorter screws - some users have reported having too long screws - I plan to update my rack modification thread with information regarding just that. :)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 08:56:52 AM »
I'm glad to hear you like your kit. What every you do, DO NOT crank down those screws. Those screws are bottoming out on the PCB inside the DM10. I'm quite surprised that Alesis hasn't resolved this issue yet. I contacted them back in March of 2010 about this exact issue. The problem is, Alesis change the thickness of the module mount. The module mount they now supply with new kits are made a lot cheaper and thinner than the older style mount.

You can put washers on the screws to make up the difference if you want. I would buy a couple sheets of EVA (craft foam, about a buck a sheet) and make a cushion spacer to go between the DM10 and the module mount. This will act as a vibration isolator for the module. I wish more users would do this if they are going to mount their module to the rack. I mount mine to a separate stand. I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:34:53 AM by Hellfire »

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 06:45:18 PM »
Thanks, Hellfire.   I'll figure something out.

I should mention that the sensitivity and crosstalk seems just fine.  I did the patch update right off.... I'm guessing those fairly recent complaints I've seen about it are from those that failed to update first.

The issue I have now is I can't seem to choke either crash and the ride choke is inconsistent.  Seems like you have to pinch it harder and in just the right spot.   I noticed that there are stubs plugged in to each extra jack on both cymbals.  What are they? 

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »
Does anyone know what kind of usb cable you use on the dm10x...is it the same as a printer usb??? Also does anyone have the finished dimensions (foot print) of the dm10x????

Offline Trondster

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 03:47:43 PM »
Standard USB A to USB B - just like a printer cable.

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 08:02:39 PM »
Thanks Trondster!!!!!!