Author Topic: Mesh Heads  (Read 4470 times)

Mesh Heads
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:13:41 PM »
After pounding on the plastic heads that my DM10 Studio kit came with for over a year, I have finally decided that it might be time to switch over to mesh heads! Unfortunately, I am WAY more educated in the world of accoustic drums. So I was wondering if anybody out there had some ideas for me. What brand should I get? Where should I buy them? Any insight is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:13:55 PM by Tyson12 »

Offline Hellfire

Re: Mesh Heads
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »
After pounding on the plastic heads that my DM10 Studio kit came with for over a year, I have finally decided that it might be time to switch over to mesh heads! Unfortunately, I am WAY more educated in the world of accoustic drums. So I was wondering if anybody out there had some ideas for me. What brand should I get? Where should I buy them? Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum Tyson12. Keep in mind that just replacing the heads with mesh is not going to do you any good. You may want to have a look at this topic first:

Alesis DM10 Mesh head Pad Upgrade Video!

With that said, I would recommend the Billy Blast Ballistech II Mesh Heads. Do Not use the regular Ballistech single ply mesh, you want the Ballistech II 3-ply. Now, if you like new brand products, go with Roland or Hart mesh heads. Any one of these three head will work just fine. I hope that helps and again, welcome to the forum.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:32:29 AM »
you dont recommend 682 hellfire? i was going for billy's but they're expensive to ship them to europe.. and money is kinda a major issue for me right now.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 10:02:52 AM »
you dont recommend 682 hellfire? i was going for billy's but they're expensive to ship them to europe.. and money is kinda a major issue for me right now.

I can't recommend something I haven't used. 682 heads are expensive to ship to the States. ;). I can tell you that I've heard good things about 682 heads. I see no reason why you can't use them. If they are less expensive than the billy's then go for the 682 heads. I hope that helps.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:10:19 PM »
It does! Thanks much. I had considered going with 682, till I realized it was a European company. Seeing as I live in Canada, I think the Billy Blast heads will be my best bet.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:18:55 PM »
Ok, this is driving me a lil nuts.  Can we or can we not go and buy a Roland Mesh Pad and swap the pads out on a DM10 kit?  Yes, I know they can be a bit expensive at up to $400 for a pad, but is that the reason people are picking up a soldering iron?  I glanced at the mesh conversion process and it's like "soldering iron.. blah blah blah."  I'd sooner buy a roland pad if I ever want to switch to mesh and be done with it than open the existing pads and start melting sh**.

So is it an issue of keeping it cheap or an issue of that you can't use mesh pads from Roland with a DM10?

Offline Trondster

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »
Ok, this is driving me a lil nuts.  Can we or can we not go and buy a Roland Mesh Pad and swap the pads out on a DM10 kit?  Yes, I know they can be a bit expensive at up to $400 for a pad, but is that the reason people are picking up a soldering iron?  I glanced at the mesh conversion process and it's like "soldering iron.. blah blah blah."  I'd sooner buy a roland pad if I ever want to switch to mesh and be done with it than open the existing pads and start melting sh**.

So is it an issue of keeping it cheap or an issue of that you can't use mesh pads from Roland with a DM10?
Not being able to buy Alesis kits with mesh heads is an issue of law and patents - Roland has patented double mesh in the states, and Alesis (or Medeli, who make the actual pads) can't make any without paying through the nose to Roland in licensing fees.

You can convert the pads to mesh heads, but it involves rearranging the interior - and the wires are a bit short. The easiest way is to desolder and later resolder the wires, but there are suggested alternative conversions that do not require soldering - either by cutting/stretching the foam a bit, or by slightly changing the layout.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:26:51 PM by Trondster »
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 05:27:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply, but that is not my question.  I am not confused about the patent deal or why Alesis doesn't sell mesh pads.   I am asking if there is any reason why I can't go online to Roland and order a mesh pad to swap out with the original pad.  I know people here are all about ripping open their Alesis pads and soldering stuff to convert to mesh..... some people just want to buy the damn thing from Roland.  So the question is... what's stopping the DM10 from working perfectly with a Roland meshhead pad?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 06:25:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply, but that is not my question.  I am not confused about the patent deal or why Alesis doesn't sell mesh pads.   I am asking if there is any reason why I can't go online to Roland and order a mesh pad to swap out with the original pad.  I know people here are all about ripping open their Alesis pads and soldering stuff to convert to mesh..... some people just want to buy the damn thing from Roland.  So the question is... what's stopping the DM10 from working perfectly with a Roland meshhead pad?

Yes, you can use Roland pads with the DM10. People have had mixed results with doing this however. Some think it works great and some think there is too much hot spotting with the Roland pads. It's all about preference. I've used the module with DIY Roland like pads. I thought they worked fairly well. I just think that the alesis mod pads seemed more accurate to me, but I can see either working for any user. Keep in mind I'm talking only about piezo/piezo drum triggers and not cymbal triggers. Cymbal triggers are a totally different story.

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 04:01:08 PM »

682 Pads look great but...
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »
For what it's worth, I was just about to order the 682 conversion kits  They look great, and seem like the perfect solution, and the whole kit for my DM8 would only cost $46 including tax.

However, the shipping to the US (Chicago) is an additional $96.00.  Ouch!

Jeff
DM-8 Pro | Additional Pads and Triggers | CrappyTrigger BeatBar | Hellfire and Gerdy Mods | Pearl Rhythm Traveler Mesh Heads | BFD2 | Ableton Live Suite | Pork Pie Throne | Zildjian Anti-Vibe Sticks

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 02:05:41 AM »
Well I did order my 682 mesh head conversion, cones and all, and well they are gonna be late,, yip 3 weeks to get the cones in and a week to ship it to me. Ahhh I guess good things come to those that wait, so hurry up ,,, and wait.