Author Topic: Dm10 studio kit DEFECTIVE RACK creating problems  (Read 4292 times)

Offline einarabelc5

Dm10 studio kit DEFECTIVE RACK creating problems
« on: January 04, 2012, 03:11:35 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry for giving the impression of coming here and complaining but I wanted to share my finding on what's happening with MY rack.

It turns out to be that my rack has been collapsing since I bought the kit a couple of months back. To the point that yesterday it fell on me by opening at the center.
Today I discovered the root cause. The way the beam tubes are constructed IMPEDES the correct set up of the rack. If you follow the way they're built and match the dents on the beam tubes with the plastic holders you will end up with the legs of the rack NOT being parallel between each other. That is, NOT vertical to the ground. In other words the rack will end up looking like a Gaudi design with the only difference that it won't work.
 The only solution is to AVOID setting the dents of each beam tube inside the plastic holders. This creates another problem, the beams are NOT railed thus the drum screws that go into the plastic holders WON'T holden in place and they will slide when you actually play the drums. This will make the rack collapse on you as you play.

DISCLAIMER:
Please DO NOT make posts about heavy playing versus soft playing. That point is absolutely out of place here as it is obvious THIS IS a DEFECTIVE rack.

Thank You.

Offline Ennuk3

Re: Dm10 studio kit DEFECTIVE RACK creating problems
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »
Ok, I really can't picture the problem here, would you mind posting some visual demonstration, of this "defect"?

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 07:15:12 PM »
Ok, I really can't picture the problem here, would you mind posting some visual demonstration, of this "defect"?

Why the double quotes?

What you see is how the legs look respective to each other if you use the dents on each side of the curved tube beams.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:42:23 PM by einarabelc5 »

Offline Ennuk3

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 08:19:21 PM »
You have a defective rack tube then, normal tubes don't have this kind of curvature within the tube dents.

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:21:16 PM »
You have a defective rack tube then, normal tubes don't have this kind of curvature within the tube dents.

And the funniest part is that 3 out of 4 have that problem.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:24:03 PM by einarabelc5 »

Offline Ennuk3

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 09:41:27 PM »
Well, it must have been a Monday at the factory.  ;D

Offline drumday

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 10:47:23 PM »
Something definitely not right with what you ended up with. Maybe with a dictionary wedged under the leg...  Nobody I'm aware of here on this forum assembled their 2011 Studio rack & ended up with something as out of whack as what you put together.

I hope Alesis is prompt is resolving the matter for you to your satisfaction.
DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 01:34:53 AM »
I agree with Drumday.  I have that rack, and it's nothing like that and most definitely NOT defective or a piece of junk.  Works fine.  12 plus trips out and back in on gigs, never collapsed.
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline Conrad55

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 08:30:16 AM »
Mine was slightly wonky as well.  Not a big deal for me, I just backed them out enough to straighten then tighten them down really well.  They stay together just fine.

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 03:52:39 AM »
I contacted Alesis parts through their website ( I quoted this thread for pictures). A third party sent me an email telling me to call them. Keep finger crossed. She forgot to mention times tough.
Parisellamichell2@numark.com

Hello

We would like to help you find what you're looking for. Please give our parts department a call @ 401-658-3131 ext # 1407
Thank you and have a great day

I can't remember out of the top of my had if there's a part number... is it?

And that's a DJ company..WTH?

http://www.numark.com/content48
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 03:54:13 AM by einarabelc5 »

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »
Same company I had to deal with for my repair.  They were VERY slow to fix my module.  Ended up being away for two months less a couple days.   >:( >:( >:(
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline Ennuk3

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »
Don't you people know? Numark bought Alesis in 2001, when they hit bankruptcy.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »
Apparently not... I know I did not.

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 09:45:34 PM »
Don't you people know? Numark bought Alesis in 2001, when they hit bankruptcy.

Eeew.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 10:46:30 PM »
Today I discovered the root cause. The way the beam tubes are constructed IMPEDES the correct set up of the rack. If you follow the way they're built and match the dents on the beam tubes with the plastic holders you will end up with the legs of the rack NOT being parallel between each other. That is, NOT vertical to the ground. In other words the rack will end up looking like a Gaudi design with the only difference that it won't work.

Sorry being late on your post, but had forgotten to answer.

My DM10 Studio kit looked the same like your "Gaudi" kit during my first 20 minutes of trying to assemble it as a totally newbie on edrums. Then I realized that the diagonal beams have their own "physics" and I rearranged them not looking into the quick start manual, because I wanted to place my pads and cyms like *I* wanted them, not like the manual suggests.

I didn't screw the beamholders too hard, then I balanced the diagonal and straight beams to my pleasure (loosing some comfortable positions and re-assembling the holders again) and bingo - all went smooth and in parallel to the ground.

I haven't trusted quick start manuals or printed setup diagrams since I was thirteen and had build my first small model airplane. ;)

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »

Sorry being late on your post, but had forgotten to answer.

My DM10 Studio kit looked the same like your "Gaudi" kit during my first 20 minutes of trying to assemble it as a totally newbie on edrums. Then I realized that the diagonal beams have their own "physics" and I rearranged them not looking into the quick start manual, because I wanted to place my pads and cyms like *I* wanted them, not like the manual suggests.

I didn't screw the beamholders too hard, then I balanced the diagonal and straight beams to my pleasure (loosing some comfortable positions and re-assembling the holders again) and bingo - all went smooth and in parallel to the ground.

I haven't trusted quick start manuals or printed setup diagrams since I was thirteen and had build my first small model airplane. ;)

How did you know I used the assembly manual?

;)

Btw, its' behaving now..we'll see how it goes. Thanks!!!! A TON!!!

Offline Conrad55

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 08:04:46 AM »
I tore my rack apart to expand it last weekend, and "refit" the tubes, flipping turning over checking this way and that, and it does go together correctly but each tube is different and needs to be fit to the clamp it seems.