Author Topic: Hi Hat Help  (Read 2079 times)

Hi Hat Help
« on: March 06, 2016, 06:41:25 PM »
Hello all,
Being new here i don't know where else to post a topic for advice/help/tips.
I just got a DM10 studio this weekend and found these forums.
Already got a TON of help from you all by reading alot on here. So my apologies in advance if this isnt where this topic goes to....
(Btw thanx you to all for the help and posting in other topics. While i havent chatted or met anyone on here yet you all have helped me a TON. Especially Hellfire)
Anyhoo, my question/request is for some Hi Hat settings.
I play with a double kick and i usualy leave my hi hats barely open so if i hit them, the have a barely open/super loose sound i guess. ( this is on my acoustic set of course). When i need the closed or tight hi hat sounds i just put my foot on my hi hat pedal and without depressing it too much it closes.
Ive calibrated my hi hat like described in the manual, and on the module fine.
I've been in the menu with the parameters for the hi hats with the option of increasing or decreasing the numbers for the open and closed option but didnt mess with it as i dont understand what did what. (higer number on the open does what as opposed to a higher number on the closed)
So my question/request for help and advice is this.
a) can i set the sound of my hi hats like my acoustic set by editing the open and closed on the paramters of the hi hat?
b) is there some adjustment on the hi hat pedal i got with my kit that i didnt ssee or understand? ( drum key allen on the front that holds an angled bracket )
Im thinking about getting the hi hats/triggers that would go on my acoustic stand if that would fix the problem.
Thanks for all your help in advance,
Your total newbie pal,
E

Re: Hi Hat Help
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 08:37:28 AM »
To get the hi-hat to sound partially closed with the pedal fully released, raise the Open value in the trim settings until you get the effect you want, or hit the limit of 99.  To get the hi-hat to close with very little pedal travel, raise the Closed value until you get the effect you want.

The drum key lets you adjust the trigger sensor to change how it detects the pedal position.  It offers a limited ability to dial in the free travel in the pedal.  I find even with it adjusted to minimize free travel, there is still a lot of motion before the sensor detects anything.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 03:16:59 PM »
To get the hi-hat to sound partially closed with the pedal fully released, raise the Open value in the trim settings until you get the effect you want, or hit the limit of 99.  To get the hi-hat to close with very little pedal travel, raise the Closed value until you get the effect you want.

The drum key lets you adjust the trigger sensor to change how it detects the pedal position.  It offers a limited ability to dial in the free travel in the pedal.  I find even with it adjusted to minimize free travel, there is still a lot of motion before the sensor detects anything.
Thanx not only for being the first one to talk to me on the forums, but for the help and valuable advce as well. im going to try to apply it tomorrow as today has been a monday for sure!
Very cool of you to take the time to answer me as im sure this has been asked before and beaten to death, i just didnt find it exactily thru the search option. ill let you know how it goes!
E

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 04:20:55 PM »
As it happens, I tested my idea before answering your question, and I did it using my Goedrums GHC hi-hat controller module with the stock Alesis hi-hat cymbal, on a real hi-hat stand.  That particular controller module only sends a value range of 0 to 38.  I had the open value dialed up to like 80 to get it to sound half closed with the pedal fully up.

The stock pedal may not give you enough extra range to work with to get this set up like I had it.  If you can't get there, you may have to swap some hardware.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 04:53:05 PM »
Here is a post that shows some  fixes/mods to the pedal for some improvement and travel/adjustment.
http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2685.0;nowap

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 07:56:33 PM »
Here is a post that shows some  fixes/mods to the pedal for some improvement and travel/adjustment.
http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2685.0;nowap
Chaser,
Thanks a TON for finding this post and putting it on my thread.
I guess i didnt word my search good enough being a newb to the forums.
I totaly appreciate the time you took to find this and post it. Those fixes look easy and Ill re-read the thread you posted and see what is better ( felt spacers or the bracket relocation mod)
Either way im sure itll be better than the travel i have now.
E

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 05:21:56 AM »
After reading that whole thread ( which was super helpfull)
I think im gonna try a mix of Tronder and Inconn's Mods.
Ill let ya know how it goes after i try it.
E

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »
Good luck!  I've been chasing the hi-hat around ever since I bought the kit.  I have a Pro-X now, and it's the least unsatisfactory so far.  It's sad when something that sounds like a horse and buggy going up a cobblestone street and still suffers from some triggering glitches is the best solution I've found after blowing like $300 chasing unicorns.

I have the feeling I should have just started hacking on the factory pedal in the first place.  You're probably on the right track with those mods.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 06:45:12 PM »
made the mod and it worked. just couldent get my hi hat dialed in and it started acting funny. So i started to get frustrated and decided to disconnect my hi hat and use my acoustic hi hats instead. Now im having a bit of trouble when i hit my kick  snare and crash 1 at the same time. sometime the crash sounds sometimes it dosent. I have the sensitivity settings correct i believe so now im going to look into the priority settings.
hopefully this will all pass or ill be selling my kit cheap.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 02:07:46 PM »
You need to adjust the trigger settings - you want a high threshold and a low sensitivity. Avoid xtalk send and receive of 6 and especially 7.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.