Author Topic: Anywhere I can buy single mesh heads?  (Read 1764 times)

Offline kenb021

Anywhere I can buy single mesh heads?
« on: March 04, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
So my dm10 currently has 682 mesh on it I just bought 2 more pads. I dont want to buy a whole pack. So you guys know where I can get only 2 or 3?

Offline AlanK

Re: Anywhere I can buy single mesh heads?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 08:47:29 PM »
My local music store carries a few brands and sizes, and if they don't have them in stock they'll order them in for me.. do you have a music store nearby? I've also ordered single replacements from 682
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline barcsdad

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 10:36:24 AM »
I have always purchased my mesh heads online. For my kick I use a Billy Blast 3-ply (http://billyblastdrums.easystorecreator.com/items/Mesh-Heads~Muffs/list.htm). For the rest, I've been using the Pearl single-ply heads (http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-MFH08-8-Inch-Mesh-Head/dp/B0002EKADG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1457192008&sr=8-4&keywords=pearl+mesh+heads). I am in the process of converting a piccolo snare to electronic, and for that I purchased a REMO Silent Stroke (also bought on Amazon) that I am eager to try. So all-in-all, you might want to go the online route. You are going to get a better selection and most likely price. Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 09:32:53 AM »
hey dude,  I just bought some Hart dynamics 2ply mesh heads on eBay for $8 each.  they are pretty heavy and I'm really happy with them.  good luck.

Offline kenb021

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 01:17:21 PM »
My local music store carries a few brands and sizes, and if they don't have them in stock they'll order them in for me.. do you have a music store nearby? I've also ordered single replacements from 682
yeah the only local store we have is a guitar center and yeah i doubt i can get what i need there. do you have to contact 682 for the single head replacements?

Offline kenb021

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »
I have always purchased my mesh heads online. For my kick I use a Billy Blast 3-ply (http://billyblastdrums.easystorecreator.com/items/Mesh-Heads~Muffs/list.htm). For the rest, I've been using the Pearl single-ply heads (http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-MFH08-8-Inch-Mesh-Head/dp/B0002EKADG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1457192008&sr=8-4&keywords=pearl+mesh+heads). I am in the process of converting a piccolo snare to electronic, and for that I purchased a REMO Silent Stroke (also bought on Amazon) that I am eager to try. So all-in-all, you might want to go the online route. You are going to get a better selection and most likely price. Good luck!
how would the pear ones work? is it like the 682 where you do the cone conversion or is it something else?

Offline barcsdad

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »
kenb021 - I have done the mesh conversion on my kit (Hellfire method). This does not include cones. I would like to try out some cones, just too damn expensive.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 08:13:43 PM »
Get creative...you don't need to buy cones. You can make them out of a tons of material. I'm still experimenting with mine ( I tried shooting ear plugs ) they worked okay but right now I've got some dense packing material cut in a circle contacting my mead and the piezo. Seems to work fine. Good luck.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 09:49:49 AM »
My first mesh mod on my first cheap ekit was using Roland V-drum 2 ply heads.. were about $35 for the 8" pads. When I got my DM10X, I sold the old cheap kit and put back the crappy skins it came with, so I had the one Roland mesh on my 8" upper tom. On the 10" upper tom I had a 682 head, as well as on my two 12" lower toms. I found a 10" Roland mesh at my local music store a couple weeks ago, they don't normally stock them. It was about $50 CDN. Last week I decided to go all out and switch out the rest of my 682's to Roland v-drum mesh (keeping the 682's as spares in case I ever break a head). My store guys couldn't find the v-drum mesh in their system anymore and I was pretty bummed out. But it seems Roland has replaced the v-drum mesh lineup with a new branding, Powerply.. so I've ordered a pair of 12"s to do the lower toms.. they're about $65 each now.. in Canada they're double ply, and I've mentioned in other threads they're probably my favourite mesh out of the 4 brands I've tried, plus I wanted a consistent feel. If I like them, I'll end up ordering two more and do my snare and kick drum (which are Laurin shells with black mesh but the feel is very soft plus I'd prefer all white eventually). Here's the link to my local Long & McQuade if anyone's interested in seeing them.. they've got all sizes from 8 to 24 I believe, for people who are fitting a hybrid acoustic and so on. I was thinking maybe it's not the best idea to spend more on my kit before considering the Strike Pro, but I don't think I can afford the new flagship for a while, plus I still prefer white heads over black, so even if I did buy the Strike Pro I'd likely end up replacing those black mesh heads eventually so may as well have them now, then if I sell off my DM10X I can sell it with the black mesh, or my set of 682's.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/products/65320/

DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline AlanK

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 09:24:55 AM »
Hey p2e1a1r2t, I have a Hart snare I'm using at a friend's place, has the Maxxim mesh on it, damn, that mesh head is the strongest I've ever tried.. has bounce yet so solid and tight. At home I've now got Roland 2 ply on all my toms, and the kick and snare are Laurin drums with black mesh.. not sure yet if I'll replace them, they're super quiet, but I do prefer the old school white look so may still go at 'em. Some pics of the set at home and the Hart snare at my buddy's place attached.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 08:26:50 PM »
Hey Alan, sweet kit. I agree with you about the white heads. They look better than black to me. I just couldn't pass up $8 per head when compared to $40 for Roland heads. I believe these hart heads will last a good long time. They feel great!

Offline AlanK

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 02:20:19 PM »
Agreed on the cost vs look option. And those Hart heads may last a lifetime.. they're just so well built