Author Topic: Does the DMPad 8" trigger work better than what I'm using now?  (Read 1237 times)

Does the DMPad 8" trigger work better than what I'm using now?
« on: February 23, 2016, 09:25:51 AM »
I will come right out and say ahead of time that I only use drums for rhythm games. Having gotten that out of the way, I really hope my question(s) is welcome here in a drumming forum lol since it pertains to an actual Alesis trigger.

I have owned four aftermarket roadie mylar drum pads for the Ion drum rocker kit for a while now, and I am still a fan of them for use with rhythm games. However, I was wondering if the 8" DMPad from Alesis performs any better. They seem to be very similar in design as the Roadie pads from Sigler which is mainly why I'm asking. Do they perform better and pick up more notes with the Ion module? I should note that I have currently modded my current pads to mesh, and I plan to do so to the DMPads if they are indeed better and if I decide to get them in the future. Links will be below that will take you to the mylar pads (which are now mesh) I currently have as well a site selling the DMPads if you want to look for yourself. Help is appreciated as always.

Roadie 8" mylar pad

DMPad 8" single zone
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:35:31 AM by Qu9ke »

Offline Hellfire

Re: Does the DMPad 8" trigger work better than what I'm using now?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 11:17:52 AM »
I will come right out and say ahead of time that I only use drums for rhythm games. Having gotten that out of the way, I really hope my question(s) is welcome here in a drumming forum lol since it pertains to an actual Alesis trigger.

I have owned four aftermarket roadie mylar drum pads for the Ion drum rocker kit for a while now, and I am still a fan of them for use with rhythm games. However, I was wondering if the 8" DMPad from Alesis performs any better. They seem to be very similar in design as the Roadie pads from Sigler which is mainly why I'm asking. Do they perform better and pick up more notes with the Ion module? I should note that I have currently modded my current pads to mesh, and I plan to do so to the DMPads if they are indeed better and if I decide to get them in the future. Links will be below that will take you to the mylar pads (which are now mesh) I currently have as well a site selling the DMPads if you want to look for yourself. Help is appreciated as always.

Roadie 8" mylar pad

DMPad 8" single zone

Welcome to forum. Since you already converted your current drum triggers I would just stay with those. That particular Alesis pad that you linked to has a mushy feel. Meaning not much stick rebound. As far as picking up notes better, I think both pads are actually manufactured by a Chinese company called Medeli (they make some edrum equipment for other companies like Alesis and OSP). So they most likely have a very similar internal trigger set-up.  I do not believe you would gain anything by switching to the Alesis pad.

Re: Does the DMPad 8" trigger work better than what I'm using now?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 04:35:40 PM »
Welcome to forum. Since you already converted your current drum triggers I would just stay with those. That particular Alesis pad that you linked to has a mushy feel. Meaning not much stick rebound. As far as picking up notes better, I think both pads are actually manufactured by a Chinese company called Medeli (they make some edrum equipment for other companies like Alesis and OSP). So they most likely have a very similar internal trigger set-up.  I do not believe you would gain anything by switching to the Alesis pad.
Thank you for the response! I had a feeling they would be about the same. The only reason I really considered those Alesis pads, aside from potential performance gain, was because they were familiar. They were the only other pad triggers that I felt confident working with my drum module, and they wouldn't make my wallet cry (too hard). I know of other triggers that are compatible with the Ion, but the prices tend to be a little scary lol. You get what you pay for I suppose. Thanks again.