Author Topic: dm10 bass drum trigger  (Read 1413 times)

dm10 bass drum trigger
« on: January 29, 2016, 07:15:11 AM »
Hi, I'm new to e-drumming and am trying to record my dm10.
I'm using an Akai eie usb interface (16 bit) into Audacity on Windows 7 (64 bit).
I'm connecting from the module main out to channel 1 on the interface.
The problem is the bass drum trigger is not recording well at all. It sounds quite distant and booming. I've cranked up the sensitivity in the module but not luck. The rest of the triggers work well.
Any advice very welcome,
thanks
Fortnum1977
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:19:00 AM by fortnum1977 »

Offline ClaudioCas

Re: dm10 bass drum trigger
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 12:04:16 PM »
First of all, have you check the sound with the headphone output?
The issue is only when you recording (and in the recording) or always?

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »
I have a Tascam interface.. has two 1/4" inputs as well as midi. There's a volume adjuster that pans between the two sets of channels.. when I play along with another source I can turn the knob all the way to one side to have my drums full on centre, or the other way will fade my drums out and bring in the other input's volume.. somewhere in the middle I get both. When I play along with songs on my mp3, I find that as I turn the knob to get more drums and less song, it's not just the volume of the song going down, it seems to be panning and I can lose an instrument or two in the mix. I'm wondering if you're getting this in reverse, where you're losing some of your kit. Are you able to connect to the interface with a midi cable?
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 09:01:43 AM »
Thanks for replying, I've since managed to get the drums recording nicely and a guitar.
However, I now have a problem where I can only record one instrument a time. If I have both plugged in, recording either will result in a very quiet muffled sound coming through.
If I dissconnect one from the interface the other works fine.
I think it might be somehting to do with the mixer/panning dial.
I'll keep on plugging until it works I guess,
thanks
Fortnum

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
Yah, I'm not absolutely sure because I'm no studio expert and/or I haven't dabbled in the recording end enough yet.. but if it's like my setup, seems when I have two of the inputs used on my Tascam interface, and the knob that controls the levels of the two is set in the middle, it seems to be lower strength than if it's set all the way to one or the other.

I've got Ableton on my DAW, and they recommend recording instruments in separate passes.. lay down the click track first, then record your bass, or guitar, or drums, then do a separate take for the next instrument. There are a couple of switches on my interface that I haven't quite explored yet that may affect the output.. one is of course, setting the input to guitar where the 1/4"/xlr comes in, and I'm sure you've got that set.. but evidently it changes the signal strength (I think it boosts the guitar and then if you're using that input for a mic you've got the option for phantom power). The other is there's a mono/stereo switch. I've always used mine in the stereo setting cuz I'll have my drums patched in by the midi input and my mp3 coming in on the 1/4" mic/guitar input so I want both stereo. But I vaguely recall reading in the instructions that if you switch to mono you'll get a better mix if you're then routing the two out at the same time to a pc or otherwise. I should test this.. I keep wanting to try recording and mixing and so on but never seem to get the time to learn all the great tech I'm collecting  ::)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers