Author Topic: DM10X Crash pads not triggering?  (Read 1570 times)

DM10X Crash pads not triggering?
« on: January 15, 2016, 01:57:32 PM »
Hi, I just got an Alesis DM10X and the crashes aren't triggering. This kit is an ex demo so I doubted the pads don't work but now that I've looked at various settings on the crashes such as sensitivity, I'm starting to think they may be broken.
Everything else triggers fine, but on the little circular icons on the module screen, the two crash circles are empty whereas everything that works isn't like that. When you touch the actual jack on the cables for the crashes, it triggers them but it doesn't when you hit the pad at all.
I've tried plugging the cables into the different port things (tgere's 2 different ohes) and tried switching the cables round in case I mixed them up hut nothing works. I would've done more reading on this first before podting gut I'm partially sighted so can't really read a lot.
Hopefully someone can clear this up for me, if they do indeed seem to be broken then I will contact the store I got the kit from, just need to be sure that I'm not making a rookie mistake here.
Thanks in advance :)

Offline Trondster

Re: DM10X Crash pads not triggering?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 02:42:44 AM »
There are two inputs to each crash pad. You need to connect the cable to one input and a dummy plug in the other.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 07:42:30 AM »
Hi thanks for your reply, I just googled 'dummy cable' and 'dummy plug' and can't really find anything about it, could you explain what type of cable/plug it is and what it does please? I used all the cables that came with the kit which is strange as it must've worked fully in the shop when it was being demo'd and I don't understand why they eould send less than the necessary number of cables for the kit to work

So I'm guessing I need a cable like the others on the kit and plug one end in the inputs and the other end into a dummy jack plug like this but one that'd fit that specific jack?
http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/40-795_NEUTRIK-NDJ-DUMMY-PLUG-JACK-A-gauge

I still don't understand why they didnt include all the necessary parts and somehow expected for it to work and for them to not get any complaints, they also sent it without a power supply and I had to wait 2 weeks for them to order one from Alesis and send it to me.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:07:05 AM by michalc »

Offline Trondster

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 08:51:08 AM »
I believe you could use a cable with nothing connected at the other end. Try it!
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 09:02:37 AM »
Okay, thanks I'll try that and post results after I've tried

EDIT: I put a jack adapter in with nothig connected and both the cymbals work, I had a feeling it was something so small I was missing. Thanks very much for your help, I'm really relieved that they work fine. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:05:23 PM by michalc »

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 01:57:44 PM »
I just recently figured this out as well.
Had the live cable and the dummy plugged reversed. Swapped them and it came to life.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 03:42:03 PM »
 :o   
I have the same problem!! and tech support cant tellme how to fix it.!!! a dummy plug is just a "non cabled" plug used to close the circuit???  or there is a special circuit configuration?  Thank a lot!