Author Topic: 3-zone 16" ride on DM8 not cooperating (and choke issues)  (Read 1516 times)

3-zone 16" ride on DM8 not cooperating (and choke issues)
« on: April 01, 2016, 04:10:24 PM »
Hey yall, first post here.

Figured I'd just register since my issues seem to be different than those of others I've found in this forum.  I recently bought a barely used DM8 that has the latest OS available.  Came with the 12" hihat, 14" crash, and 16" ride, so I'm guessing this is a DM8Pro?

Here's my problem.... When I set the system to 3-zone with the TRS "ride 1" cable plugged into the A output on the ride, and the supplied TS cable plugged into the "ride 2" input on the module and to the B output on the ride BUT I'm 1) not able to choke and 2) I get a crash on the bell rather than a bell.  Same goes for the crash cymbal with the "crash" cable plugged into A and a plug in B.  And everything I've read says this is the correct way.  However, when I switch the A and B outputs around on each cymbal, I'm able to choke, but the bell still isn't cooperating.  I've also tried using TRS adapters on both ends of my "ride 2" cable with the cords plugged in correctly, but it still doesn't do what it's supposed to.  Also tried reseting everything.

What the hell is the deal mannnn?  Thanks in advance.

Re: 3-zone 16" ride on DM8 not cooperating (and choke issues)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 04:18:04 PM »
more pics

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 05:39:21 PM »
Well for one thing, the ride needs both cables to be TRS to have full functionality. Not sure what's giving you a problem with the crash.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've already tried this using a stereo adapter on the TS cable.  I'd want to have an adapter on both ends correct?

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »
I'm not sure I'm understanding where the adapters came into the picture, would have to re-read the whole discussion, but you just need two cables, both TRS.. one for each plug on the ride, then one goes into the Ride input on the module and the other into Perc1/Ride
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 02:10:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've already tried this using a stereo adapter on the TS cable.  I'd want to have an adapter on both ends correct?

A TS to TRS adapter applies mono equally to stereo left and right. ..for phone plugs etc

You need TRS cables , in order to have multiple zones..

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 08:20:27 PM »
I thought by putting a 1/4" to 1/4" stereo adapter on the TS cable it would work like a TRS cable.  Guess not?

Offline AlanK

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 08:41:54 AM »
as long as one end is mono (TS) it'll be mono..you need TRS to TRS, one for each connector on the ride. Just thought of something, check all your cables.. perhaps you've got a stereo (TRS) cable plugged into the kick drum.. you only need a TS mono cable for the kick.. I think it's the same for the hi-hat and controller on the DM8.. so it's quite possible the two TRS cables you're missing for the ride are being used elsewhere.. then you may be able to swap things to get it all working correctly

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 03:29:21 AM »
I have a DM8 with DIY A2E 3-zone ride and I'm using a TS cable to connect it to perc 1.

I believe your problem is not cables, but the type of cymbal trigger you have selected. Try to change the trigger type for the bell to switch or piezo and see if that helps!

Offline ClaudioCas

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 03:33:06 AM »
Have you solve the issue?
In the menu of trigger you should set 3 zone ride and switch type ride.
After that you need to check if the strike on the bell make the bell sound or edge/crash sound. If you ear the crash instead the bell you need to swap the cable.