Author Topic: Alesis Real Heads  (Read 4409 times)

Alesis Real Heads
« on: November 29, 2010, 04:54:15 PM »
Hey everyone ... good forum!

Are the Alesis heads that come on a DM5 Pro Electronic Drum Set the same "Real Heads" that come on the newer DM10 Studio Kit. Different color but the same or similar Medeli heads.

I'm looking to upgrade my old TD-5 kit with PD-5 gum rubber pads so I'm looking at some cheap used deals on whole kits like the DM45 Pro or DM10 Studio. I bought a PDX-85 off Craigslist yesterday ($100) and I like the Roland bounce feel (I'm a guitarist / recordist). I will want to go into a local store 1st, just to see how the Alesis pads feel stock even though I do plan to do the Hellfire mod on all pads.

The DM10 module is preferable I know and with the DM5 - this is so cheap a Trigger I/O would be part of that plan. I'm recording into Sonar with S2.0 and other libs.

Basically the same? Advice for my situation?

TIA,

Mark

Re: Alesis Real Heads
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 04:57:47 PM »
EDIT: Sorry typos: "DM5 Pro" not "DM45 Pro"

Offline Bobby@NEMS

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 05:16:14 PM »
The DM5 came with a mylar head, but not the same design/setup as the RealHeads featured on the DM10 kits. It's the new Mideli design (DD-602 I think)

Dm10 is leaps and bounds over the DM5. However, if you're new to drumming (being a "guitarist/recordist") it might be a good place to start, as you can find some used ones alot cheaper than the DM10.
Bobby D.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 09:38:16 PM »
The DM5 Pro pads and the DM10 pads are functionally the same. The only difference I could see is the DM5 Pro pads came with a white coated heads (DM10's were black smooth heads) and the mounting was more limited than the DM10 pads. That is because the DM5 Pro pads used a keyed "L" rod mount with a set screw (must use a drum key to tighten). The DM10 pad uses a standard round "L" rod with winged tension holder.

I think you would find the DM10 module to have a lot more functions than the DM5. For one the DM10 can handle dual zone triggers with one input (the DM5 requires two inputs). So you do get more trigger inputs with the DM10. I hope the helps.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:00:49 PM »
I agree about the module difference and the mounts (!) I have better mounts on my TD-5 kit than the one I got with the new V-pad I bought yesterday (needs drum key as Phil HF said ... luckily I had one).

Mark
Sonikmatter.com

Orangeblood

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 11:08:09 PM »
Other than mounts...same pads minus black head. I have both and have had a look inside both. I still have no clue where the term "realhead" comes from?

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »
I will want to go into a local store 1st, just to see how the Alesis pads feel stock even though I do plan to do the Hellfire mod on all pads.

Looks like that is impossible here in Atlanta. I called several stores in the area and no dice!

I know what Vdrums feel like but now if I pull the trigger (pun) on this online I feel (pun) like I'm doing it on a leap of faith. I suppose if I don't like the feel post HF mod, then I could always mod the pads to feel like Vdrum heads with the cone?

Any reassurance on the playing feel?

Mark
Sonikmatter.com

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 05:12:03 AM »
Hi There

I'm about to go out and buy a DM10 Sudio kit. Unfortunately the store doesnt have and demo's for me to try. Are the realheads quiet like the usual drum heads on an electic kit?

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 04:59:10 PM »
No, not like those with mesh heads.  There is a "click" sound when you hit them.  You can find videos of people playing them on Youtube, to listen to.

If you need quiet heads, then you'll want to do a mesh head conversion, but it's pretty inexpensive, and works great.
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227