Author Topic: DM10 with cracked rims...  (Read 2808 times)

DM10 with cracked rims...
« on: December 03, 2011, 10:22:02 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a used DM10 Studio, but the seller has said it has cracked rubber rims on a few of the pads.

Have you guys encountered this?  I heard anecdotally that these are the first parts to show signs of heavy use/abuse.  Would it be a problem as far as getting worse, affecting triggering, etc?

Are the rims replaceable or able to be repaired?

Thanks! 8)

Offline vtdrummer

Re: DM10 with cracked rims...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »
They could be replaced with some black or clear rubber tubing.  I used that on my 13" DIY snare, and it works fine.  The ones on the DM10 pads will come right off.

It's not exactly what's on there now, but it would work OK.  You just have to slit the tubing down the middle with sharp scissors or a knife.  (carefully!)
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 09:39:54 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a used DM10 Studio, but the seller has said it has cracked rubber rims on a few of the pads.

Have you guys encountered this?  I heard anecdotally that these are the first parts to show signs of heavy use/abuse.  Would it be a problem as far as getting worse, affecting triggering, etc?

Are the rims replaceable or able to be repaired?

Thanks! 8)
The rubber rim covers split pretty easily and can be replaced as said above.. IMHO I would thoroughly look over the module, as that is the lion's share of the expense of the kit. The pads can be repaired relatively cheaply (watch the hellfire video's... good stuff there!)..
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 07:56:24 AM »
if we're just dealing with the rubber on the rim then its no problem. i recently bought a dm10 pro and the rubber on the tom1 rim is pretty badly cracked but it hasnt effected playing ability/triggering in any way! but i find that once you get a crack in the rubber, it spreads quickly. pretty easy fix, you can even buy specific rubber for the rims on many online musicstores.
DM10 Pro kit, Mesh Heads, Quad Kicks, Dampened Rack, Extra Roland Crashes.