Author Topic: DM Lite MIDI Hi-Hat Problems  (Read 14251 times)

Re: DM Lite MIDI Hi-Hat Problems
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 10:11:28 AM »
I've experiencing more or less the same problem (same model and everything) when using MT Power Drum Kit 2 on Reaper.
I'm afraid I'm not that versed at using midi devices.

MaciekC, since you posted a fix here for Linux, I wanted to ask you: is there a way to apply a similar fix on Windows?
Thanks to every one!

Offline korakios

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2017, 05:32:31 PM »
The problem is ,I don't know how the software works.
You could try adding in reaper the "MIDI filter" fx ,before your vst ,and choose to filter CC#4.

Edit: Can you also describe what is not working in details?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:48:46 PM by korakios »

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 01:59:46 PM »
The problem I have is quite similar to the original, I think.

The hi-hat, by itself, works fine: I can play open hi-hat (just hitting the pad), hi-hat pedal (just by pressing the supposedly CC hi-hat pedal) and closed hi-hat (by pressing the CC pedal and hitting the pad at the same time). However, when I connect the drum kit via USB to the computer (through Reaper, then through MT Power Drum Kit 2 plug-in), it only recognizes when I hit the pad and when I press the CC. The combination between these two (hitting an pressing) it's not registered in the program. Thus I cannot play a closed hi-hat properly.

I just read your reply,  korakios, so I have not be able yet to test your suggestions (for which I am forever grateful!). I'll try it today or tomorrow if I'm able. Thank you very much again for your suggestion!

Edit: I have tried filtering the CC pedal, but that hasn't work either. Thank you anyway for your suggestion!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:38:40 AM by Jorggo »

Offline korakios

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2017, 11:50:27 AM »
It's difficult for me since I don't have both dm lite neither the vst.

There was another post but really confuses me about the way dmlite sends notes and midi CC.
If you can ,try posting the output of MidiOX ,it would really help.
Searching the web there are at least 4 different scenarios that dmlite transmits and confused me more.
So ,if you download midiox post the output

Hitting the pad with pedal up
No hit , close the pedal
Hit the pad while the pedal was closed from previous action
No hit ,release the pedal
Hit the pad again (pedal is up)

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 05:25:31 AM »
Hi there, excuse the delayed answer!

This is what I got from MidiOx (I did exactly as you said, but MidiOx did not register the fourth step (releasing the pedal with no hit)):

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT               
 00010DD8   1  --     B9    04    00   10  ---  CC: Foot Controller   
 00010DD9   1  --     99    2E    7C   10  Bb 2 Note On               
 00010DDA   1  --     99    2E    00   10  Bb 2 Note Off

00011299   1  --     A9    2E    7F   10  Bb 2 Key Aftertouch       
 0001129B   1  --     A9    15    7F   10  A  0 Key Aftertouch       
 0001129C   1  --     99    2C    52   10  G# 2 Note On               
 0001129E   1  --     99    2C    00   10  G# 2 Note Off

0001173C   1  --     B9    04    72   10  ---  CC: Foot Controller   
 0001173D   1  --     99    2E    7F   10  Bb 2 Note On               
 0001173E   1  --     99    2E    00   10  Bb 2 Note Off

00012490   1  --     B9    04    00   10  ---  CC: Foot Controller   
 00012491   1  --     99    2E    7F   10  Bb 2 Note On               
 00012492   1  --     99    2E    00   10  Bb 2 Note Off             

All I can interpret from the raw data is that the first and third step (which should be different) share the same response. Is there something I can do about it?

Thank you very much for your implication Korakios, I'm forever grateful!

Offline korakios

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 09:45:09 AM »
Hi,
I will download the MT Power Drum Kit 2 . I never actually liked the sound and found other free drum kits way better but since it's a just matter of taste and lot of people use it, I will try some midi mappings.
Will post some days later :)

Offline korakios

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 10:16:55 AM »
The hihat pedal works fine and should be compatible with all plugins except MT Power Drum Kit 2.
It seems that that the VST does not recognize CC#4 for the position of the pedal. (plus it sounds really bad to my ears)

So the only way is to map CC#4 to Note event. There are some great midi plugins (especially "piz midi plugins") BUT the problem is that these plugins cannot transform midi CC to note WHILE retaining the Note velocity .
 I don't know programming language ,but there are some nice programs such as Bome's Midi Translator Pro and PureData. I used PureData because it's freeware

Edit:
Download Camomile
https://github.com/pierreguillot/Camomile/releases

Place the correct 'dll' vst version to your VST folder. Open Reaper , load  Camomile and from the plugin load the attached 'CC2Note.pd' file! Then load 'MT Power Drum Kit 2' plugin and you are ready!

Test it :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 06:47:15 PM by korakios »

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2017, 08:20:10 AM »
Korakios, you are a miracle worker!!! It works perfectly fine now!! It is incredible, I am forever grateful to you!

Taking into account your dislike for the MT Power Drum Kit 2, I would honestly love to have some other software suggestion from you!

Thank you very very much (words cannot come close to how grateful I am)!!

Offline korakios

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 08:42:13 AM »
Lol ,it was dead easy since you gave me useful info  :)

You could check on another post for freeware stuff
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7040.0

You will be surprised on the quality. (especially compared to MT2)

Oftopic :
If you like some DIY you can try adding a cheap joystick for continuous CC#4 midi hi-hat control.
Some creativity and imagination needed   :P
Use something elastic to keep the joystick down and a wire to pull it up (or backwards) .There are some utilities that convert the joystick postition to midi CC.

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2017, 03:52:07 AM »
If any Ableton Live users are having this problem, I've written a free MaxForLive patch that fixes things.

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/4151/alesis-dm-lite-hihat-fix

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2018, 07:23:45 AM »
If any Ableton Live users are having this problem, I've written a free MaxForLive patch that fixes things.

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/4151/alesis-dm-lite-hihat-fix

If anyone is still having issue using DM Lite in software like Melodics or DTXMania, here a cross-platform version of the ALSA C fix:
https://github.com/totobest/fix-alesis-dm-lite-hihat-midi-bug-python-win32-macos-linux