Author Topic: DM 10 Pro tools 9 midi beat clock  (Read 2581 times)

DM 10 Pro tools 9 midi beat clock
« on: September 20, 2011, 06:55:47 AM »
Hi Drummers,
My question is can you play the DM 10 sounds into PT as midi, then press play in pro tools and have it play back. In others words have the DM 10 slave to to Pro tools?

Offline vaikl

Re: DM 10 Pro tools 9 midi beat clock
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:17:13 AM »
Yes, you can record your playing with ProTools as a MIDI track or file and then route MIDI out to the DM10 to let the module replay it.

For that purpose no synchronisation is needed, the DM10 plays it's sounds as the MIDI notes come in.

But if you want i.e. to synchronize some sequencer patterns to ProTools then the DM10 can act like a MIDI slave. See on page 34 of the DM10 manual, the "Clock In" settings.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:48:31 PM »
Yes, you can record your playing with ProTools as a MIDI track or file and then route MIDI out to the DM10 to let the module replay it.

For that purpose no synchronisation is needed, the DM10 plays it's sounds as the MIDI notes come in.

But if you want i.e. to synchronize some sequencer patterns to ProTools then the DM10 can act like a MIDI slave. See on page 34 of the DM10 manual, the "Clock In" settings.

Thanks for the reply!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 05:47:38 PM »

Hi,
I once again had a question about this post. Now I know you said this can work but I can't get it to work properly.
    I have a instrument track set p in pro tools. I have midi in and out connected to my computer. I have have audio out of my DM 10 going to my interface. I have midi beat clock enabled in pro tools.
     The midi info is getting recorded but wont trigger the DM 10 to playback the performance.I read page 34 of the manual but that just triggered the accompaniment sounds in the DM 10. It even played when there was no midi in pro tools.
    Can you please tell me a step by step way to do this if you don't mind.

Thanks

Offline vaikl

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 06:35:55 PM »
Hi,
I once again had a question about this post. Now I know you said this can work but I can't get it to work properly.
    I have a instrument track set p in pro tools. I have midi in and out connected to my computer. I have have audio out of my DM 10 going to my interface. I have midi beat clock enabled in pro tools.
     The midi info is getting recorded but wont trigger the DM 10 to playback the performance.I read page 34 of the manual but that just triggered the accompaniment sounds in the DM 10. It even played when there was no midi in pro tools.
    Can you please tell me a step by step way to do this if you don't mind.

Thanks

Take another look at page 34 in the manual and the MIDI settings on your module. If the Drum Chan (for "channel") AND the Acc Chan (the channel for the accompaniment) are both set to OMNI, then change the Drum Chan to 10 and the Acc Chan to something other, like 16.

Then change as well the MIDI in and MIDI out channel for the instrument track in ProTools both to 10. This way you'll have a dedicated MIDI channel only for the drum sounds and no accompaniment would come in between.