Author Topic: Apartment life - pro or studio kit?  (Read 2341 times)

Apartment life - pro or studio kit?
« on: June 03, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »
So simply put I live in an upper floor apartment of a house, so an alesis e kit is perfect of course, but i'm debating whether to get the dm10 pro kit with the surge cymbals or the studio kit, debating it cause possibly most of my playing will be done through headphones for awhile, so my question is, are the surge cymbals loud just in themselves? would drum mutes help or take away from the feel?

What do people think?

Re: Apartment life - pro or studio kit?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 12:59:59 PM »
oh wait nevermind, i just realized you get less with the pro kit, forget that, studio kit has more for the price in canada then the pro kit, nevermind :P

Greg

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »
I also live in an upstairs apartment. I have the dm8 pro so it has the black plastic cymbals.
Personally, I would not buy Surge cymbals at this point as they are definitely louder ambient wise than the plastic/rubber ones. They're made of metal. Perhaps cymbal mutes would greatly reduce the ambient noise but I have to believe it would affect the triggering of the cymbal. I guess if you want Surge cymbals as they are cool and can make them more apartment friendly without ruining their capabilities then go for it.
Noise usually isn't the main problem in apartments. It's the vibrations through the floors. I built anti-vibration risers and have mesh heads on my kit. This has helped tremendously. But make sure you tell your neighbors you want to play and try to agree on good hours to practice. Most people will work with you if you are sensitive to their needs.
Good Luck.

Greg

Offline Trondster

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »
Go for the studio, and buy mesh heads for a mesh conversion. Prepare to spend time tuning the trigger settings. And enjoy! :)

DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.