Author Topic: Addictive Drums?  (Read 2655 times)

Offline splatter96

Addictive Drums?
« on: November 25, 2016, 02:52:49 AM »
I've noticed that a lot of guys (maybe some of you are girls; I shouldn't assume) here are using Addictive Drums. What's the purpose of that? Does it allow us to have different sounds for our drums other than those in our modules?

I've just ordered my DM10 X kit direct from Alesis ($599 Black Friday sale - cool!). XLN Audio is having their own Black Friday sale, and I can save 50% off of anything I order from them, so AD2 would be 85 bucks. Is this something I should take advantage of while it's going on?
DM10X kit, Tama Iron Cobra 600 double pedal, Roc-n-Soc Nitro throne, Shure SE315 IEMs, Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones, Simmons DA350 drum monitor, Addictive Drums 2, QuikLok LPH004 laptop stand

Offline Dobly

Re: Addictive Drums?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 07:56:43 PM »
Yes.

When you hit a pad on your kit it not only triggers a sound in the module, but it generates a midi note. Lets imagine for example that that is note 46.

You can connect your DM10 module to a PC via a USB cable.

Addictive Drums is software jam packed with drums sounds, kits and more. You can configure AD to listen for midi notes from the DM10.

Now it receives note 46 you generated above which in turn will play whatever sound is assigned on that midi note. 

Multiply this across all your pads, each generating different midi notes, all getting played by the loaded kit in AD according to whatever sounds are loaded in at that time. 

The drum sounds in AD are amazing and expandable. There are pros and cons of this sort of set up.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 07:59:16 PM by Dobly »

Offline Failed Muso

Re: Addictive Drums?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 06:49:54 AM »
If you're looking to buy a software based sound engine, Toontrack's outstanding Superior Drummer 2 is currently 70% off as part of a Black Friday deal until the end of November.

I just picked this up to use with my Crimson Mesh kit and it works fantastically. So much so that I am now almost certain it will be my sound engine of choice for both live and studio work.

http://www.toontrack.com/product/superior-drummer-2/
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2