Author Topic: Using TV type Soundbars for speakers with DM10  (Read 5446 times)

Using TV type Soundbars for speakers with DM10
« on: July 12, 2016, 12:09:36 AM »
Hi there... I had just bought my DM10 Studio used on Kijiji.  It seems that the person before me did not have the patience to research and painstakingly do the tweaks to make this kit sound the way I want it to.
My question to the community is
Has anyone used TV soundbars ie: 2.1 sub+wide range centre speakers for their DM10?

I was looking at something like this http://www.factorydirect.ca/Canada-/Electronics__Home_Office_/Audio/Home_Theatre_Systems/SA4505/HWJ450_Samsung_Hwj450_2_1Ch_300Watt_Sound_Bar_W_Wfi/0

Will a powered system like that or even a powered 5.1 speaker set work?

Your thoughts?

Ed

Offline Sal

Re: Using TV type Soundbars for speakers with DM10
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 02:10:22 PM »
I theory, why not? Speakers is speakers.

But in practice, why? What benefit does the bar have over components or a large monitor?

For what it's worth, I have the Vizio 2.1 bar/woofer system for my TV and love it. I hear their 5.1 with the wireless woofer is great as well (and I think on sale for Prime Day?).
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 04:20:36 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts Sal... I thought the same. BUT I dont have a set of TV soundbars to test the quality of sound.
Would you have a chance to test your VISIO's with your kit and give me a review?
I was looking for a low cost but sonically sound solution to monitors.  Otherwise I may have to cave and get an actual drum monitor or this PA system I recently rented.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/58479/Pro_Audio_Recording/PA_Cabinets/Yorkville_Sound/Excursion_Mini_400_Watt_Compact_PA.htm

I rented it out for a DJ gig for a small room.  And I plugged my DM10 into it to see what it could do! and I did love it.  The subwoofer kicked butt

Don't want to deviate from my question about going lower cost on a TV soundbar... so if you do have a chance and tried the VISIO soundbar of yours on the kit your review would be much appreciated

thoughts out there?

thanks,
Ed

Offline Sal

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 05:37:20 PM »
I'd love to try it, but I think if I took apart our media unit to get at all the stuff and then move it to the garage with the drums...well I think both the drums and my ass would be on the curb!

I'm sure you can get cheap speaker gear on Craigslist or eBay, right?
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 04:08:25 AM »
I'm actually in the process of trying this out, I should have the results in about three days , August 4th 2016.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 02:31:24 PM »
Any luck JuliousJive?

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 07:35:47 PM »
I would also be interested to hear how it went.

Could prove to be a cheaper and effective option for those of us who are light on coin atm lol

M@

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 03:38:09 AM »
Hey guys sorry it took me so long to get back to you about this.. Long story short, the Sony soundbar/subwoofer combo I plugged my vga cables into from my 10 sounds even better than a typical drum amplifier!!! The bass is powerful and the highs are crisp and easy to hear. The audio can still be panned nicely.  Also I mounted the soundbar to the stand below the toms by inverting the mounts to hold the toms from below rather than from above. It actually works very nicely and I don't get any vibration issues. It's also nice to actually feel like the bass is coming from where it should with the subwoofer placed right by the bass pad. I also had my brother who has a Roland with a drum amp tell me that my set up sounded better than his!!

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 10:09:15 AM »
I forgot to mention it gets LOUD even though it's only 75 watts!!

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 07:43:36 PM »
Hey Julious,

Do you have any pics of the set up at all?

Thanks
M@

Offline Sal

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 10:05:30 AM »
So the soundbar and woofer are facing you, or away? I'm very pleased to hear how well this worked, as you can get really good soundbar/woofer combos (even wireless ones!) for not much at all. I have a Vizio bar/woofer combo that I got for...$150 maybe?...on my TV and love that thing.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 02:56:41 AM »
Yes they are facing me

Offline Sal

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 10:36:02 AM »
ah ha! I get the reversed L brackets now. So the bar just sits on there? Nothing else holding it on? Does it vibrate get jostled around or anything?

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 12:22:07 PM »
This is a really cool idea. Love it when an experiment comes together.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 02:47:50 AM »
Yes it just sits on it.  No clamps necessary! It holds very nicely and doesn't jostle even at mega loud volumes. I think this is due to the fact that all the shakey bass tones are created by the subwoofer which isn't actually touching the frame at all. It's certainly a nicer looking situation than having a large speaker in plain view, this hides quite nicely.

On another note today was awesome! I scored a Simmons sd5k ekit for $40 off craigslist today!!
I added an extra pad and cymbal to my set up and I'll likely sell the rest cuz I don't need them really, it didn't come with cables the power supply or a hi hat pedal but for $40 not bad! I wish the dm10 had more inputs, I used the last extra input for my splash and I'm trying to learn how to split the ride to use a fifth tom instead of having a bow on the ride and I'm guessing I could add the second bass pad by splitting the signal of the bass pad cable. Idk I'll give it a try if I ever find an extra drum pedal😊

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 09:27:02 AM »
You should be able to use the Simmons SD5K module to expand your DM10. Use the MIDI out from the SD5K module to MIDI in to your DM10. All the inputs on the SD5K are single zone, but with it you can get 8 more pad inputs to your DM10. You can pick up a power supply for the module at most electronic stores.
Yamaha DTXtreme III with DIY drum pads

Offline Sal

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 01:08:31 PM »
Yes it just sits on it.  No clamps necessary! It holds very nicely and doesn't jostle even at mega loud volumes. I think this is due to the fact that all the shakey bass tones are created by the subwoofer which isn't actually touching the frame at all. It's certainly a nicer looking situation than having a large speaker in plain view, this hides quite nicely.

Have you thought about wrapping the L brackets in something soft just in case? I imagine it's just metal on...plastic (not sure what the bar is made of)? Maybe also something simple like a tie or elastic of some sort just for security?

Also relevant, if you want a good bar on sale with some (wireless!!!) satellite speakers: http://deals.kinja.com/psa-vizios-5-1-surround-sound-system-is-back-in-stock-1785735836

And the soundbar I have for my TV, which is just lovely: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMBG8QY/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=WC21079

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 03:38:44 PM »
Hameedx thank you so much for the inspiration, I dug through some old cables this morning and I found one that worked!!! I'm gonna have so much fun expanding my kit dbl it's size☺️

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 04:14:58 PM »

Ok so I managed to put this together with what I have, I plan on adding two more cymbals and one more pad to the left of my snare! I just need some additional hardware to mount them.
I found out my Simmons module is busted, seems it got water damage from being rained on... I want to find an alternative to expand my inputs on my dm10.   I tried to buy a Alexis trigger io but they are not selling anywhere. Is there any alternatives? Could I just get an interface and use that?

Also spraying all my new cymbals plastic parts gold really helped to unify all my parts! 

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 09:38:55 PM »
The ddrum DDTI is the same as the Alesis Trigger IO.   You can find them online at major retailers.

Offline Sal

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 09:21:22 PM »
So if we are looking at this as an option, what would the minimum wattage we should be looking at. Obviously 5-10- is not going to near enough...

And what features should we be looking for. Alot of them are bluetooth enabled, and have aux inputs...

M@

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 11:17:35 AM »
So if we are looking at this as an option, what would the minimum wattage we should be looking at. Obviously 5-10- is not going to near enough...

And what features should we be looking for. Alot of them are bluetooth enabled, and have aux inputs...

M@

He did mention in the first post a link to a 300w 2.1 soundbar subwoofer combo.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 02:12:44 PM »
JuliusJive and Sal!!! thank you for trying this out... especially you JuliusJive!!!

That was awesome work on the research side of it AND implementing!!! So Julius you have used a 75 watt soundbar sub ... can't imagine what a 300 watt one can do.  AND you say it was compared to a Roland amp too... nice!

The benchmark then is MINIMUM 75 watts, don't have the Subwoofer touch the mounts, and you can actually mount the speaker bar to the hardware!

Thank you again... I hope this helps out EVERYONE!