Author Topic: Mostly clueless mom here  (Read 1307 times)

Mostly clueless mom here
« on: December 05, 2015, 07:55:31 AM »
I thought I would introduce myself as I just joined.  I am the mother to a drummer and I am pretty clueless but need to learn about these sets. We adopted our daughter from East Africa when she was an infant but by the age of four, she showed quite a talent for drumming.  She started with djembe lesson over summer and she is doing great but she has also become interested in drum sets instead of just hand drums.  I know nothing about drumming but the instructor tells me:  "She can consistently find one" and "She plays triplets" (and this was in her first couple lessons).  She continues to do well in her lessons and from what I understand, that is pretty good for a five-year-old but drumming is not my thing. 

The instructor at her drum lessons has her on a Roland but there is no way that we justify spending that kind of money when she has only been playing six months.  My husband found an Alesis Dm6 for $100 at a box store (a return or something) so we immediately bought it for her and she loves it.  We have a friend who is a drummer who is going to help us develop a better setup so that it is tight enough for her to play well with her tiny body (right now it is a bit of a stretch for her to be able to play it the way she has learned).   

I know that this is an introduction and there are threads for support and such but I am not even sure what to ask. I want to support her, obviously a five-year-old can't completely program this to work the way that she wants.  She wants more variety in the drums than this offers (not necessary but something that she would like) and I don't even know where to go with that.  I have no clue what to do to support her.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please know that I don't have a clue what I am doing here.  The only thing I have found that I might understand is that maybe I should be buying an ipad DM dock to be the "brain" because it would give me more versatility and flexibility in programming?  But even that, I don't know to be true.  Any input would be fabulous. 

My ultimate goals:  Keep her loving drumming, have a set that she loves to practice on so that she wants to practice rather than has to, give her as much variety in the sounds as possible to keep it interesting. 

Thanks all and I apologize in advance if I have broken any rules by asking for advance in my introduction.  I am still in learning mode here... I just play a little guitar and drums and electronics are beyond my scope of knowledge.   

Offline Khes74

Re: Mostly clueless mom here
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 04:40:56 PM »
I thought I would introduce myself as I just joined.  I am the mother to a drummer and I am pretty clueless but need to learn about these sets. We adopted our daughter from East Africa when she was an infant but by the age of four, she showed quite a talent for drumming.  She started with djembe lesson over summer and she is doing great but she has also become interested in drum sets instead of just hand drums.  I know nothing about drumming but the instructor tells me:  "She can consistently find one" and "She plays triplets" (and this was in her first couple lessons).  She continues to do well in her lessons and from what I understand, that is pretty good for a five-year-old but drumming is not my thing. 

The instructor at her drum lessons has her on a Roland but there is no way that we justify spending that kind of money when she has only been playing six months.  My husband found an Alesis Dm6 for $100 at a box store (a return or something) so we immediately bought it for her and she loves it.  We have a friend who is a drummer who is going to help us develop a better setup so that it is tight enough for her to play well with her tiny body (right now it is a bit of a stretch for her to be able to play it the way she has learned).   

I know that this is an introduction and there are threads for support and such but I am not even sure what to ask. I want to support her, obviously a five-year-old can't completely program this to work the way that she wants.  She wants more variety in the drums than this offers (not necessary but something that she would like) and I don't even know where to go with that.  I have no clue what to do to support her.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please know that I don't have a clue what I am doing here.  The only thing I have found that I might understand is that maybe I should be buying an ipad DM dock to be the "brain" because it would give me more versatility and flexibility in programming?  But even that, I don't know to be true.  Any input would be fabulous. 

My ultimate goals:  Keep her loving drumming, have a set that she loves to practice on so that she wants to practice rather than has to, give her as much variety in the sounds as possible to keep it interesting. 

Thanks all and I apologize in advance if I have broken any rules by asking for advance in my introduction.  I am still in learning mode here... I just play a little guitar and drums and electronics are beyond my scope of knowledge.   

Strange, you're the first of this case.

What exactly does your daughter want in a drumset?

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 07:13:12 PM »
Congrats on having a drummer in the family. :-)
The dm6 should be fine for a good while.
At her age and stage, it should mostly timing, rudiments, limb independence and building muscle memory.

Unfortunately, more drum sounds=more$$$, just like an acoustic kit.....
JimmyB

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »
DO NOT buy the DM Dock. It is of questionable to no value for your situation. Have your drummer friend or her instructor tweak the set you have and this should be adequate for quite some time. As  your daughter progresses you may want to invest in more expensive gear that is suggested by her instructor, but there will be plenty of time for that given her age.