Author Topic: DM10 X Mesh with Pro-X and 7 Cymbals  (Read 2412 times)

DM10 X Mesh with Pro-X and 7 Cymbals
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:45:04 AM »
I used the cymbals and arms from the Nitro kit (along with some Gibraltar clamps) to max out my DM10 X Mesh kit.  The cheesy mini cymbals from the starter kit work well nestled among the larger cymbals, including the original hi-hat, which has taken up residence as Crash #3.  I had the most trouble working out a satisfactory arrangement in the neighborhood of the hi-hat, and the jury is still out on that setup.

I split Perc3, Perc4, and the Kick input, and I use the Kick2 input for something I hope doesn't tempt me to hit it at the same time as the bass drum.  I'm a new drummer anyway, and barely competent to play in the first place, so I should grow into the capabilities of the kit well enough.

Yes, I know acoustic drums are superior in every conceivable way, and I have no business learning on electronic drums first.  I am learning all manner of evil habits, and will be ruined for the day I see the light and get real drums.  The thing is I work 70 hours a week on night shift, and none of my friends are musicians.  I don't gig.  I don't have room for another set of drums.  It's almost impossible to get a date as a married guy, so there isn't any reason to be cool or hip or sexy or whatever, and my wife isn't that happy when I date other women anyway.  I don't want to deal with the microphones, the additional mixer, the tuning and head maintenance, etc.  This rig is more fun than hitting myself in the head with a can of pinto beans, which is what I used to do for entertainment.  I'm happy!

Online AlanK

Re: DM10 X Mesh with Pro-X and 7 Cymbals
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 08:55:06 AM »
Your kit looks AWESOME, for a first time drummer and set owner you've done quite well, love all the cymbals and how you fit them in. As for the uncertainty of cymbal and pad placement around the hi-hat or any area for that matter, some of us (ok, me) try out different layouts all the time.. I'm still trying to figure out where I feel comfortable with things in my kit and what's within reach and so on and I've had my kit for a couple of years. As for the starting out on electric and acoustic being superior.. well, I find its usually only acoustic players who complain about electronic not being comparable.. so you should have the benefit of being unbiased..just go for it! And if you do ever end up getting a date, leave your wife the can of pinto beans so she can crack you on the head when you get home! But of course, hi-five us here and tell us all about the fling  ;D
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »
hello i just want to ask pre-purchase if the pro-x is worth it. i have been close a couple times but never pulled the trigger!

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 06:24:45 PM »
I guess whether the Pro-X is worth it or not depends on you.  I bought mine, because the stock pedal was driving me insane by randomly missing pedal presses and randomly splashing.  I would try to chick chick chick chick 1 2 3 4 a beat on the thing, and I would get chick silence chick splash, making the exact same foot motion four times in a row.  It was frustrating.

The Pro-X is also frustrating.  I have screwed around with this thing for a small eternity, and the only way I find it to be usable is when setting the threshold EXTREMELY high, so there is no dynamic range, and even then it is a two-position hi-hat.  Open works, closed works, and everything in the continuum in between is going to make a random noise that could be one of silence, splash, or some degree of half closed pedal.

It really doesn't work worth a rat's ass to be honest, but the pedal didn't work worth a rat's ass either.  The hi-hat on the DM10 is FRUSTRATING in the EXTREME.  Considering I have over $2,000 invested in this rig, it's pretty bitterly disappointing that it's such total and complete garbage.

On the other hand, I get along fine treating it as an open/closed hi-hat, and I have a hell of a lot of fun bashing my drums.  I have no desire to go back to the pedal thing, just because this Pro-X feels more natural.  Even if it does sound like I'm hitting an empty bucket every time I hit the noisy thing.

Meh.  You can't have everything.  If I wanted something that would work well, I would have bought the Roland TD30-KV.  You have to step all the way up to the $8,000 flagship to get as many drums as what the DM10X-Mesh kit comes with out of the box, and the Roland stuff isn't expandable.

I'm hoping that new thing coming out later this year will be the upgrade I seek to find total happiness.  I'm hoping to buy the brain and the hi-hat, and don't see any point in upgrading the rest of my stuff here.  My drums have frustrating limitations, but they're still enormously fun to play, and I love my Alesis goodies, even if the hi-hat is total dog turd.