Author Topic: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"  (Read 183526 times)

Re: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"
« Reply #900 on: March 05, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »
These dates don't mean anything more today than they did all throughout 2016.  The mere coincidence that they may (or may not) correlate vendor by vendor, is really meaningless.

I also agree that until there's evidence of this being real via Alesis and a manual, it's all hearsay.
Sad, but true.  I also believe that if the Strike kits aren't released this year, or if they prove to be underwhelming upon release, Alesis won't be taken seriously as a major player in the e-drum market for a very long time.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #901 on: March 07, 2017, 02:57:53 PM »
From Allan DD:

nMuisic, maker of Alesis, has filed suit against Roland Corporation, claiming infringement of three of its patents.
From allan dd:

inMusic’s suit seeks to put a permanent stop to Roland’s sale of products that it says “infringe inMusic’s patented technology and asks the Court to require that Roland compensate inMusic appropriately for Roland’s unauthorized use of patented inMusic technology.”

The lawsuit was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island. It is seeking action against three Roland products
- PD-140DS V-Pad which it says violates its U.S. Patent No. 9,424,827;
- VH-13MG hi-hat controller (U.S Patent No. 8,785,758)
- KD-A22 (U.S. Patent No. 8, 039,724).

inMusic is seeking a temporary  restraining  order, a  preliminary  injunction  and  a permanent  injunction  against Roland as well as compensation for lost  profits  and “treble  damages  for  willful,  deliberate  and  intentional  infringement”.

The lawsuit follows a lawsuit filed by Roland that alleges patent infringement by inMusic/Alesis of eight U.S. patents relating to its electronic musical instruments.

This just got real interesting... I have yet to see anyone sue Roland over patent infringement.

BTW, just understand now, 1ply and 3 ply mesh have no patents, only 2 ply, Drum tec can sell these in USA, but not the 2 ply are patents from Roland, never knew until now.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #902 on: March 07, 2017, 04:34:21 PM »
BTW, just understand now, 1ply and 3 ply mesh have no patents, only 2 ply, Drum tec can sell these in USA, but not the 2 ply are patents from Roland, never knew until now.

And who has this 2 ply mesh head patent? It isn't Roland. Maybe REMO, but then why are they making 1 ply heads? Do you have a patent number?

« Reply #903 on: March 07, 2017, 05:41:46 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if a "settlement" resulted in, among other things, Alesis mesh kits being priced significantly higher in the market in order to satisfy what I'm sure is behind Roland's legal action - the presumption of "predatory" pricing by Alesis.  Let's face it, the Strike module seems to be built to complete with Roland, now the Strike kits are larger and arguably nicer.  The difference: price point.

All of the other mumbo-jumbo is just legal positioning.  They (Roland) want that price point higher.

Commend nMusic for having the b$lls to put up a fight.

I still think this is part, if not all, of the issue with Strike release dates being pushed back.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #904 on: March 09, 2017, 12:42:45 AM »

And who has this 2 ply mesh head patent? It isn't Roland. Maybe REMO, but then why are they making 1 ply heads? Do you have a patent number?

not sure, but for use for one of more U.S. PAT below,  1 ply and 3 ply from others, maybe to prevents patents and more option..
6,271, 468
6,921, 857
7, 386, 135
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 01:10:19 AM by ChrisK »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #905 on: March 09, 2017, 07:16:44 AM »

not sure, but for use for one of more U.S. PAT below,  1 ply and 3 ply from others, maybe to prevents patents and more option..
6,271, 468
6,921, 857
7, 386, 135

None of those patent numbers are for "mesh heads". Those patents cover a "electronic drum system that uses a mesh head".

I've explained this early on when the whole patent issue came up. Roland states they do not have a patent on mesh heads. Those patents are for a "system". Their words, not mine. Roland likes to say they don't have a patent on a mesh head, but they do have a patent on a drum system that includes a 2 ply mesh head. Again, this is a very fine legal line. There is a difference between "mesh head patent" & "edrum system that includes a 2 ply mesh head"

It is this legal line that Roland uses to protect against any competition that tries to sell a mesh head (of any kind, not just 2 ply) edrum. They (Roland) will say it doesn't matter if it is 1 ply, 2 ply, 3 ply, 56 ply, They will claim that their patent covers all edrum "systems" (key word) and there for violates their patent. And at the same time they protect against drum head companies from making 2 ply mesh heads because Roland claims that too is covered in their "system" patent. Yet at the same time they claim no patent on mesh heads. That's because you can't just patent mesh head of any kind, because it has already been done. The question is, Does Roland have the right to claim patent protection on 2 ply mesh heads? I don't think so, but I don't have the money to find out.

Do you see the game there? If Roland says you violate our patent and we will sue. You can believe all day long that they are wrong, but they will put you out of business (through legal fees) before you can find out.

So, this means a person should be able to make and sell 2 ply mesh heads or they can make edrums (without mesh heads), but they can not make both at the same time.

The only patents that exists for mesh heads are:

US4362081A (from 1980)
US729936A (from 1902)

Patents only have a 20 year life. Roland's own patent (6,121,538) is from 1996. That's the Priority date which is when the patent protection is stated to start but, that too can sometimes be challenged in court. Heck, the patent wasn't granted until 1999. I'm sure there is a legal way to say the Priority date is more like 1998. Which would mean Roland has one more year on their patent (1998 - 2018, that's twenty  years).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:48:54 AM by Hellfire »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #906 on: March 09, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »
Do you see the game there? If Roland says you violate our patent and we will sue. You can believe all day long that they are wrong, but they will put you out of business (through legal fees) before you can find out.

So, this means a person should be able to make and sell 2 ply mesh heads or they can make edrums (without mesh heads), but they can not make both at the same time.

It will be interesting to see if Roland pursue any legal action against ATV when they release their new aDrum mesh pads later this year.
I suspect they won't, but InMusic possibly will if its trigger system is similar to the current Alesis pad design (as per the attached pic).
Apparently ATV were cautious about who could try out the aDrum kit at NAMM-17.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 08:46:51 AM by rhysT »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #907 on: March 10, 2017, 05:37:58 AM »
Just received awnser from them they can ship anything to Us now from drum tec no more restriction, something changed lately...they are using same as Roland sensor cone bottom and under and mesh head..

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #908 on: March 11, 2017, 03:46:27 AM »
btw, Just saw this, editor for strike kit are download online...this confirm, it might not be ready for release, or will be uploaded with manual at the same time..

http://kellysmusicandcomputers.com/alesis-strike-kit-electronic-drum?gclid=CNrLz4iIztICFcWFswodjQUCDg
CONTENTS

Strike Performance Drum Module
14" dual-zone Snare Pad
8" dual-zone Tom Pad
10" dual-zone Tom Pad
12" dual-zone Tom Pad
16" triple-zone Ride cymbal
14" dual-zone Crash cymbal
12" movable hi-hat cymbals
4-Post chrome rack
double braced snare stand
cable snake
cable wraps
drum key
drumsticks
power supply
module user guide
kit assembly guide
safety and warranty manual
Strike Software Editor (Download)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:28:55 PM by ChrisK »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #909 on: March 11, 2017, 09:37:09 AM »
btw, Just saw this, editor for strike kit are download online...this confirm, it might not be ready for release, or will be uploaded with manual at the same time..
http://kellysmusic.ca/alesis-strike-kit-electronic-drum?gclid=CNrLz4iIztICFcWFswodjQUCDg

Hope you don't mind, your link didn't work so I updated it.

BTW, this isn't new. Tim Root stated this at NAMM and just because a retailer states something doesn't make it so. How many times have retailers put a date of release just to change it when they realized that date isn't happening? A lot if you include all of 2016.

My issue with the "download sometime after release" is the same line we got about sound sets on the DM10. Intentions are great, but I don't give good marks to edrum companies base on intentions. I give good marks base on actions. I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, but because of the sound set debacle,  I want to see, touch and use this "Strike editor" before I get excited about a non existent software editor.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 10:17:37 AM by Hellfire »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #910 on: March 11, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »
http://kellysmusic.ca/alesis-strike-kit-electronic-drum?gclid=CNrLz4iIztICFcWFswodjQUCDg

My issue with the "download sometime after release" is the same line we got about sound sets on the DM10. Intentions are great, but I don't give good marks to edrum companies base on intentions. I give good marks base on actions. I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, but because of the sound set debacle,  I want to see, touch and use this "Strike editor" before I get excited about a non existent software editor.

If they don't deliver the editor, this would be the end of Alesis reputation, removing huge features, capability of the module,  lots of bad talk will born to totally ruin Alesis.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:54:50 PM by ChrisK »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #911 on: March 11, 2017, 05:48:22 PM »

If they don't deliver the editor, this would be the end of Alesis reputation, removing huge features, capability of the module,  lots of bad talk will born to totally ruin Alesis.

Based on Tim Root's demo pitch at NAMM I'm confident the Strike editor will be ready and it makes sense to provide it via a download. I guess it may be kinda like this kit manager: http://lustark.com/drumit-manager

However I'm more concerned about his minimal comments regarding the hi-hat performance which has been a frustrating DM10 limitation.

At least the Strike module's panel controls allow easy access to edit instrument voice settings and Kit FX which should be equivalent to Roland's Ambience control. There's also a Sample fader instead of Accomp or Metro shown on the prototype module.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 08:32:11 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #912 on: March 11, 2017, 06:06:20 PM »
BTW, this isn't new. Tim Root stated this at NAMM and just because a retailer states something doesn't make it so.

Actually, that comes from Alesis website but only on Strike page (Features tab)
http://alesis.com/products/view/strike-kit

Otherwise, I didn't post since the relase of NAMM demos and I have to say I was a little disappointed seeing how they focused on electronic sounds instead of real drum sounds.
They wanted to set the bar higher but I think they discredit themself showing off these sounds and even the real ones don't sound well (cymbals...)
It still looks like good hardware and a good value with VST/samples/other module but I would wait the aDrum final specs and price point if I had to buy a kit today.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:04:30 AM by MaximeJ »

« Reply #913 on: March 23, 2017, 07:34:06 PM »
Now showing available 4-13-17 as per Guitar Center...and the hits just keep on coming...
When does it end?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #914 on: March 23, 2017, 08:28:54 PM »
Now showing available 4-13-17 as per Guitar Center...and the hits just keep on coming...
When does it end?

Well, Alesis did state at NAMM the second quarter of the year. That would mean they have till the end of June to make that statement true.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #915 on: March 24, 2017, 01:04:40 AM »
 I noticed on most video, when Tim Root changed kits, each time, the came fade in and fade out,  why? considerable loading time on each kits?
https://youtu.be/GRoFGl55ScA?t=77

https://youtu.be/aeueMWjA8xo?t=171
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:50:17 AM by ChrisK »

Offline korakios

« Reply #916 on: March 24, 2017, 03:03:17 AM »
I don't think so . Probably the fades are from video editing :)

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #917 on: March 24, 2017, 03:08:10 AM »
I don't think so . Probably the fades are from video editing :)

why they ever fade it again here when it was almost done? take more time to edit with video editor,  https://youtu.be/uwahpTg7itM?t=195

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 03:09:53 AM by ChrisK »

Offline korakios

« Reply #918 on: March 24, 2017, 03:42:47 AM »
Don't worry, on the video example they just changed the scene. It's normal for basic video edit.
The modules don't load the wav files. They read them directly from the internal drive , the tricky part is to smoothly change the compressor,eq,fx types. If that causes CPU related audio glitches then Alesis might mute the sound on preset change ,but I haven't heard a single module having this issue. :)

« Reply #919 on: March 24, 2017, 06:22:39 PM »
When does it end?

Called guitar center, they said there system actually shows April 27th has the available date.

Decided to call Alesis. Talked to a rep, he said they physically have the units in and are suppose to be shipping these out to the stores. Just hard to believe though, hopefully this guy was giving us correct info.

I'm curious if someone else calls if they will get the same information.

Here is the number if anyone wants to try there luck...
Alesis 401-658-5760

« Reply #921 on: March 31, 2017, 11:10:03 AM »
Just got a call from my sweetwater rep he said the the strike pro kit I have pre-ordered should be shipping around April 13th.

Also the manuals have been posted to the Alesis site
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:40:04 AM by tCobra »

Offline forofen

« Reply #922 on: March 31, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »
Yes. Will be available 13th april.

Offline forofen

« Reply #923 on: March 31, 2017, 11:49:56 AM »
Manuals are now available in this link:

http://www.alesis.com/products/view/strike-pro-kit

Offline Rmiller

« Reply #924 on: March 31, 2017, 12:48:44 PM »
The manual is typical Alesis, no real specs. Are the samples and sampler 16 or 24bit. Is the hi hat actually dual zone? Looks like a pro x controller. Not having heard the kit/instrument samples, this thing is starting to look like a dm10 module with a new face combined with a sample pad with better cymbal connections i.e. all chockeable etc. Just hope the samples are better. Still looks like a nice module but but no new tech. Just hope it's 24 bit.